PC Magazine Tests LTE Coverage Nationwide; VZW Wins, but T-Mobile in Close 2nd & More

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +597
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 3XL
    OK... I've been talking about this for a while, time to put up or shut up.
    I just ordered a Moto G LTE to see what the other carriers are like.

2. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +957
    You mean sprint tmo right?

• Like Like x 1
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    I'm not taking it personally, the results are spun heavily to favor T-Mo. VZW costs more money because they invest more, that's why they have a larger footprint and have more upgraded infrastructure.

I have no doubts T-Mo is on par or better than VZW in many spots in many large cities, but let's not pretend it can compete on a national level. That "deficit" is not disappearing any time soon, because the investment is not remotely trivial. I know everyone wants evil, greedy VZW to got knocked off its perch, but it's not happening.

My point was simply the article, or summary, was laughably dismissive of the #1 reason why VZW has been on top so long. It practically reads like T-Mo marketing propaganda.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    AGGHHHGHGHGHHHHHH...what have I been SMOKING????

Sorry. You're right. I suck. :blink: Is it Friday yet?

-Matt

• Like Like x 1
  5. tommyz

tommyz Member

Ratings:
    +29
    If it's the Verizon Network it is LTE...

What is amazing about the Verizon network is they may have converted most if not all their towers to LTE. I was in the middle of nowhere WI and MO and had LTE service. The MO time was even last year in July. While others were struggling to get any sort of signal along the Katy Trail in MO. I had LTE in most cases.

2 weeks ago I was in a pretty isolated area of WI and those of us with Verizon and pretty amazing service and most of the time it was LTE. While the poor guy with Sprint was at a loss for a signal.

This is the reason I stick with Verizon. If someone else can touch them in the remote areas I may consider a switch if the price is right.

• Like Like x 4
  6. KaChow

KaChow Active Member

Ratings:
    +143
    What I happen to really enjoy about this article and truly find informative over everything else is how well T-Mobile has positioned themselves from a marketing standpoint. They are showing themselves as the 'Uncarrier" that is agressively taking over. We've heard countless times from Verizon that they are not concerned, their action is rather to act after as a last resort. AT&T is at least taking a stronger approach to stay competitive to what the market changes are.

For those that are interested in talking about coverage, as it has been brought up a few times in this discussion already. Take a look at the combined T-Mobile and Sprint network map. This is pretty impressive... This shows that T-Mobile (which the latest agreement is that T-Mobile will be the Official name after the merger) there is some tremendous growth taking place, and that T-Mobile is going to be leading the direction for the US Mobile Industry...

[​IMG]

7. TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT Active Member

Ratings:
    +38
    i jumped to t-mobile two months ago.

love it.

my biggest down side is in down town sandiego the signal strenght doesnt penetrate really thick concrete walls like verizon did.
    at my house (just south of San diego, still in the us) i have better coverage with t mobile.
    and i pay $100 less a month, and if i do go to mexico, its free (data and texting) and the same applies to the country i am being deployed to next month.

so for me, love the switch, LOVE the t mobile customer service/ customer relations.

not looking back at verizon ever.

wife n i are running moto x's
    the kids are on the sgs4 mini

• Like Like x 2
  8. bkdodger

bkdodger Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,565
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Good to hear some good results

M8 tap'd

9. AECRADIO

AECRADIO Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
    Twitter:
    @AECRADIO
    Here's my Speed Test screen shot.
    I am on VZW in rural Arizona.
    SpeedTest.png

10. AECRADIO

AECRADIO Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
    Twitter:
    @AECRADIO
    A few years ago, I suffered a short stint with T-Mobile while in Globe, AZ. The call quality was awful, dropped calls ruled, and service in and around town was terrible.
    Even driving in the town itself was a pain to maintain a call.
    I had issues in Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa and Apache Junction. T-Mobile was the WORST service I ever had, and I was all too happy to drop them when I returned to VZW.
    But to be fair, I know T-Mobile did upgrade their service in all the areas I mentioned, but regardless, I am wary of any carrier that sacrifices service quality for the sake of sheer profit.
    If you can't deliver the service, close your doors.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,338
    This is why I switched to T-Mobile instead of AT&T

http://m.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-closes-deal-700mhz-spectrum-reiterates-commitment-lte-rollout
    http://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2014/03/t-mobile-upgrading-2g-network-lte-renewing-map-wars
    http://mobile.extremetech.com/lates...he-us-by-2015?origref=https://www.google.com/

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. badtoy1986

badtoy1986 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44
    I switched to T-Mobile about 8 Months ago and I couln't be happier. I had Verizon and I was tired of paying so much money. With no contracts, Updgrades every 6 months and Unlimited data I figured I would give T-mo a shot. I was shocked that I started getting faster LTE speed than on Verizon here in the Las Vegas Valley. Not to mention when I dont have LTE the 3G data speeds and the HSPA+ are way faster than VZW non-LTE.