PC help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Art Vandelay, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I come to you because I figure you all have been very helpful with my Droid and I'm sure you all are very knowledgable with PC's.

So here's what I'm looking for. My current desktop is almost 10 years old and for what it is it runs great, I've reformatted it many times to just run the basics, but its starting to annoy me to the point where I don't even want to turn it on.

I'd prefer a laptop (screen size 14" or bigger). Its primary use would be for web browsing and paying bills. Also, would be used for loading and editing pictures with picasa. I do not game, besides the random flash based games and some solitaire. I have an external HD with all my pictures, so on board mem is not a factor. I'd like windows 7.

I'm think an Asus with an i3 should suit my needs. I'd like to be under $400 closer to $350.

Any site recommendations? I know newegg has good deals and Woot will also if you follow it enough. Or other brands/setups that will meet me needs?

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal

2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ill add I'm not against a desktop as the laptop wouldn't be doing any traveling (I have a rooted nook color), I just think for $400 its hard to find a good desktop with monitor.

3. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    HP has some good notebooks for a good price. Asus is a good brand also.

Whatever you do, do not cheap out and buy Acer. Their quality is terrible. I bought one a few years ago and it was in for warranty longer than I was able to use it. Thank goodness for my extended service plan. Walmart cut me a check for the price of the laptop...

sent from my ZombieStomped X

4. Pmoser

Pmoser Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd your not against and Toshiba makes good stuff

Sent from my rooted Droid Increidble

5. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    BestBuy always has a few PCs on sale every Sunday...and some of them are extremely great deals, I've gotten a couple desktops and laptops for gifts on very low pricing...just a thought to look at...:)
    of course if you wanted the top of the line PC then I would've recommended Newegg custom components...;)

anyways, last week they had a couple i3 laptops for around the $400 range...check tomorrows ads...

6. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys, I guess a little more info on chips would help. I know the core i3 is a good chip, but Intel seems to be a little pricier than the others. Anything comparable to the i3 that AMD makes? Or am I better off spending the few extra dollars and getting the Intel chip?

7. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    Intel seems to be the choice for laptops.

Lenovo, HP, Dell are all good.

Check newegg.com, they are the only place I shop for computer equipment.

8. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

Ratings:
    +3
    If you want to learn how to build a desktop throw me a pm. Could end up saving you a few bucks by using your existing monitor,KB speakers and mouse. Other than that might I suggest looking into a netbook. Saw one at Walmart for a couple hundred that's very nice and would fit the needs.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm I'm going to look in to this, as I already have a new DVD rw drive, 5.1 audio cards, a 250 gig internal HD (probably would add another one anyway), a USB 2.0 card, and I do have wireless mouse and KB, and monitor needs an upgrade. Also have USB wifi adaptor. I'd think windows 7 would cost a lot.

Seems as I would just need a case, motherboard, processor w/ integrated graphics card, ram and a power supply. And windows 7, I do have XP I could install for free though. Does that sound right?

Not a fan of netbooks, seems like they would suit my needs for now, but would be outdated and unusable very quickly.

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Jr, I think I'm going to build my own like you suggest. I looked over what you suggested and I think I'd like to change to the Asus M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760 MB, b/c I like the option of HDMI. Also, think ill double the ram to 4 gigs, do you recommend 4 1 gig chips or 2 2 gig chips?

11. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

Ratings:
    +3
    #12 jrracinfan, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
Search tags for this page
el1358 upgrade

el1358-ub20p

el1358-ub20p cant get into bios
el1358-ub20p motherboard specifications
galaxis gaps 500mx replacement