1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

PC hardware recommendation for AOSP development

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thinkmega, Dec 18, 2010.

1. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

What's your recommendation on PC hardware for AOSP development? I want to customize everything from framework to kernel. Right now, a complete make takes 2+ hours to finish. I'd like hear to your opinions.

Thanks.
  2. Disposibleteen

Disposibleteen New Member

What are the specs of the machine you are developing on now?
  3. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

It is a p4 2.4G/2G RAM. It was built 8 years ago. :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

edit: with a P4 its definitely gonna take awhile.

Since its linux there aren't really any minimum specs since linux runs on damn near anything. Heres what I feel would be an optimal setup:

Dual core or quad core running at at least 2GHz
    2GB+ of DDR2 or DDR3 ram
    Fast harddrive (WD Raptor or SSD)

that should speed up compilation.

One way that really speeds up compilation is to increase the number of threads that the make program uses. Ive compiled a full linux kernel in 15 minutes running about 70 jobs on my athlon x2 6400 (runnin at 3.2 GHz ) and my wd raptor, but then again for those 15 minutes the computer the computer was unresponsive lol
  5. Disposibleteen

Disposibleteen New Member

As Brando said, minimum requirements are really low but to bring down your compiling time a more modern cpu (Core2, I3, I5) with 2gigs (or even 4 since ram is really cheap nowadays) and a fast hard drive will cut your compiling time significantly.
  6. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

With a hexacore i7, 8GB DDR3, and an SSD you could probably get it down to 15-30 minutes lol but then again that setup would cost you about a grand....
  7. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

Thanks for all the inputs!

I started "make" around 10:45 this morning and it was done when I returned home @ 4:00pm. The log's time stamp indicated the process finished at 2:41 pm. So it was near 4 hours.

How much memory can Ubuntu use effectively? One requirement I have is to be able to use dual monitors. What video card can be supported well for this configuration in ubuntu? Right now .... I can only get one monitor work (it has a Matrox G450/256MB and I can use both in XP).

Thanks.
  8. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

The operating system doesn't limit the amount off memory you can use, your pc architecture does. 32 bit processors can handled a max of 4 gb (3.5 in windows), 64 bit processors can handle something ridiculous like 128 tb.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  9. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

How much time do you think would be the normal, average time to make the entire android system, less kernel? It was 3-4 hours on froyo. How much time should I expect on a quad-core system?
  10. Darcnes

Darcnes New Member

Hex-core is lga1366, thus triple channel memory. 6gb or 12gb.

The i7 800 series is still dual channel but the high end is all triple.

Re: dual monitors in ubuntu, very doable.. Did you get the drivers installed or just using native driver?
  11. Darcnes

Darcnes New Member

One other idea for speeding up compilation. If you can choose your output source...

Create a ram drive to write from/to where the source and make both occur. SSD's are fast, but not ram fast. Just make sure you're not developing in memory, if you crash....
  12. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

I haven't figured out how to setup the dual LCDs yet. The native driver can only see ONE monitor and I can't get the latest driver from Matrox for XF86R7. I've tried FC14, same problem. Of course I can blame the card being too old. However, I was able to do dual a few years ago on FC4 ...
    So the driver worked back then ...

It's a mess anyway. I am not even sure how well these ubuntu/fc work on dual LCD (yes, it is at top of my list .... two screens are way way better than one. I used to have 4 monitors from one box. :) ).

The good news is ... I figure out how to compile the ROM for droid. Now the question is .... what I am going to do with the hardware.
  13. Darcnes

Darcnes New Member

Are you able to try plugging a single monitor into each of the plugs on the video card to make sure it's detecting both? Do you need to enable anything? Mine generally worked out of the box for two screens. I agree that they're necessary. I'm currently running an eyefinity setup with a portrait monitor to the side and hdtv within arms reach for movies ;) .. on one video card. Gogo 6870!

Are you using the newest version of Ubuntu?
Search tags for this page
android aosp reference hardware
aosp minimum memory

aosp on pc

aosp reference hardware
compiler aosp system requirment
development requirements android asop