PATCH — Focused 1.9.0 update to 2.3.340

droidxchat

Reaction score
Re read.. :) I said that as a clarification, but I also said that the main reason for a full SBF for those that updated to 2.3.320 first and want 340 is to get back on the update path.

The point of my post was to address everyone who's holding back on updating because they want a full sbf and are still on 15. Maybe I'm Just scatter brained and didn't make it clear

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

But you said the .32 full sbf will work on .34 OTA. That's true, but it will also give .34 OTA users a .32 kernel, screwing them for the next OTA... isnt' that true?

You also said, the kernel is not different, just a different version because of when it was compiled. I'm pointing out that the different version is enough to prevent them from OTAing.

There is no way for .32 leak users to get back to the update path, as of now... and advising people that it's ok to use the .32 sbf or that having the .32 kernel is fine operationally is only going to increase the size of that group of people, isn't it?

You might know better than me, so please tell me if I'm wrong. I'm just upset because I've seen a lot of dev's lately trying to quell people's fears about being on .32, and because of that, a lot of .32 users are walking around thinking all is fine and well because they installed a .34 rom, where in reality, they could have serious problems when gingerbread is released OTA.

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Re read.. :) I said that as a clarification, but I also said that the main reason for a full SBF for those that updated to 2.3.320 first and want 340 is to get back on the update path.

The point of my post was to address everyone who's holding back on updating because they want a full sbf and are still on 15. Maybe I'm Just scatter brained and didn't make it clear

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

But you said the .32 full sbf will work on .34 OTA. That's true, but it will also give .34 OTA users a .32 kernel, screwing them for the next OTA... isnt' that true?

You also said, the kernel is not different, just a different version because of when it was compiled. I'm pointing out that the different version is enough to prevent them from OTAing.

There is no way for .32 leak users to get back to the update path, as of now... and advising people that it's ok to use the .32 sbf or that having the .32 kernel is fine operationally is only going to increase the size of that group of people, isn't it?

You might know better than me, so please tell me if I'm wrong. I'm just upset because I've seen a lot of dev's lately trying to quell people's fears about being on .32, and because of that, a lot of .32 users are walking around thinking all is fine and well because they installed a .34 rom, where in reality, they could have serious problems when gingerbread is released OTA.

I understand what you're pointing out. Yes, the kernel might overwrite. But in the event that a person MAY ACTUALLY NEED a FULL SBF, they can use the 320. Better to use that than have a complete brick, no?

"There is no way for .32 leak users to get back to the update path, as of now..." The keywords in this quoted sentence is "as of now". Have some faith in TBH. p3 and the group work HARD to bring what they do. Once VZW has a full sbf, or an internal contact at moto has it, it will be leaked, I guarantee it.

Honestly, don't expect gingerbread before april or may for our phone. I'd be surprised to see it in march. Moto has to try and figure out how to blur it up still, while keeping the appeal of the upgrade. Remember how long it took for us to actually get froyo? Hell, remember how long it took the D1 to get froyo? It's not as quick of a process as people may think, the software upgrades from one os version to another. I'm STILL waiting on froyo for the fascinate, 6 months after froyo has been released. Gingerbread will be officially released before I get froyo for it.

There will be an upgrade way for those who wait. Remember ALL the users who were still on 2.1 technically? Most just now upgraded to get the "full" 320 and 340 experience. That's why I patched in the 2.2.1 files to the 2.3.15 build, it gives users the choice to stay put, or upgrade. Nobody likes being told what to do. :)

And the reason dev's quell people that it'll be fine.. is because it WILL. There will ALWAYS be a way, in one way, shape, form or another to upgrade. Albeit a custom rom, or the actual upgrade. Everyone shouldn't be so negative. Have a little faith :)

droidxchat

Reaction score
I agree with you that there will definitely be a fix for this before the next OTA. What I'm upset about is that some people don't even know that there is a problem because everyone was walking around saying that the bootloader/kernel are the same btw the two versions. Some of these people might never know, they might never use the fix when it comes out, and they might brick at the gingerbread OTA.

P3 said he had a way back... That was a long time ago. He said he had a way back even before he released the leak. How come he won't just release this way back already (could it be he lied?). Sry, its just that this is the same guy who guaranteed the kernels were the same, and yet today we see a dif version.

EvilDobe

Reaction score
I understand what you're pointing out. Yes, the kernel might overwrite. But in the event that a person MAY ACTUALLY NEED a FULL SBF, they can use the 320. Better to use that than have a complete brick, no?

"There is no way for .32 leak users to get back to the update path, as of now..." The keywords in this quoted sentence is "as of now". Have some faith in TBH. p3 and the group work HARD to bring what they do. Once VZW has a full sbf, or an internal contact at moto has it, it will be leaked, I guarantee it.

Honestly, don't expect gingerbread before april or may for our phone. I'd be surprised to see it in march. Moto has to try and figure out how to blur it up still, while keeping the appeal of the upgrade. Remember how long it took for us to actually get froyo? Hell, remember how long it took the D1 to get froyo? It's not as quick of a process as people may think, the software upgrades from one os version to another. I'm STILL waiting on froyo for the fascinate, 6 months after froyo has been released. Gingerbread will be officially released before I get froyo for it.

There will be an upgrade way for those who wait. Remember ALL the users who were still on 2.1 technically? Most just now upgraded to get the "full" 320 and 340 experience. That's why I patched in the 2.2.1 files to the 2.3.15 build, it gives users the choice to stay put, or upgrade. Nobody likes being told what to do. :)

And the reason dev's quell people that it'll be fine.. is because it WILL. There will ALWAYS be a way, in one way, shape, form or another to upgrade. Albeit a custom rom, or the actual upgrade. Everyone shouldn't be so negative. Have a little faith :)

Well said. I agre 100% that people need to stop being so negative & have a little faith. If you don't trust a dev then don't use their work. We learn by doing not speculating.

droidxchat

Reaction score
Well said. I agre 100% that people need to stop being so negative & have a little faith. If you don't trust a dev then don't use their work. We learn by doing not speculating.

I should point out that it was a certain dev (not drod) that SPECULATED these kernels would be the same, when they aren't (operationally they are, but the version number is enough to cause compatibility issues, as mentioned).

I agree with drod. I have faith that this will be fixed. What I dont' have faith in is that these dev's will be able to tell everyone who updated to .32 to use that fix before updating to OTA. The reason being is that people aren't even mentioning this kernel difference. They're acting like its not there, or it doesn't matter. I feel like I'm the only one pointing this out, and that the dev's need to start making time to tell people that this kernel difference could affect them in the future. Making people aware is the only way to ensure that people watch out for this fix in the future.

Reaction score
I agree with everyone above on this.

I think it's also important to remember that we are all here because we want to take control of our phones and push their limits, but that comes with risks. It's possible at any time we could get painted into a corner and be stuck for a bit or forever and we all need to understand and be OK with that. We accept that risk by installing these roms.

TBH, drod, p3 or whomever isn't responsible for what we are doing with our phones. I think they all try to do the right thing and they give us the best information that they can at the time so we can make informed decisions. If we install something and brick our phones, even at their advice, it's still our fault.

For those that aren't willing to accept that then you can go back to Stock and be fully supported by VZW.

This isn't directed at anyone, really, just a statement.

droidxchat

Reaction score
Also true. If someone's screws up their phone its their own fault in the end, and thats not just a belief but actually a policy of these forums, dev's can't be held responsible. But I'm not talking about them taking responsibility, only doing their part to help prevent a possible future problem.

EvilDobe

Reaction score
This whole addiction we have is based off of speculation until someone has the guts to try it. We're all aware of your concerns but I think they go without saying. I think if you're on this forum, or any forum of this nature, making these unsupported changes to your phone you are aware of the risks being taken. I think everyone appreciates your concern but they all go without saying.

droidxchat

Reaction score
This whole addiction we have is based off of speculation until someone has the guts to try it. We're all aware of your concerns but I think they go without saying. I think if you're on this forum, or any forum of this nature, making these unsupported changes to your phone you are aware of the risks being taken. I think everyone appreciates your concern but they all go without saying.

This isn't something that goes without saying actually, and that's the problem. If no one points out that there is a problem here, these people who upgraded to the .32 leak won't even know that they have any problem to fix. Someone needs to point it out to them, otherwise they'll brick on OTA. That's a concern that needs to be said, not one that goes without saying.

A much much more extreme analogy would be to say that the .32 leak was a needle. An unclean needle, carrying HIV. The dev's might be aware that this needle was carrying HIV, but might stick their patients with it anyway. Now they're working to cure HIV before these people get AIDS. Well if we don't tell these people that they have HIV, they'll never know it. They'll never come in for the cure, and when the gingerbread OTA is released, they'll get full blown AIDS. (lol)

Marius1

Reaction score
Dang the 340 dialer looks sweet. Any chance we can get that, or is that too blur?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Right, I know everyone understands the risks.

I'm just pointing out that the risks also includes the fact that the information the dev has may not be accurate. I'm not saying it was or wasn't in this case but it's always possible that it's not.

In my limited experience, and I am new so maybe my position will change, I think the devs do as much as they can to prevent problems. I know I appreciate everything TBH, Drod, sephtin and this community does to provide us support.

ericsch333

Reaction score

This isn't something that goes without saying actually, and that's the problem. If no one points out that there is a problem here, these people who upgraded to the .32 leak won't even know that they have any problem to fix. Someone needs to point it out to them, otherwise they'll brick on OTA. That's a concern that needs to be said, not one that goes without saying.

A much much more extreme analogy would be to say that the .32 leak was a needle. An unclean needle, carrying HIV. The dev's might be aware that this needle was carrying HIV, but might stick their patients with it anyway. Now they're working to cure HIV before these people get AIDS. Well if we don't tell these people that they have HIV, they'll never know it. They'll never come in for the cure, and when the gingerbread OTA is released, they'll get full blown AIDS. (lol)

I don't know why your so upset you flashed you phone. Every time something changes everbody lose their mind if you remember not that long ago we didn't have sbf and we just jumped. If it wasn't for tbh we would be run 2.1 still. He will fix the kernel.
And you can flash. 234

yuusharo

Reaction score

You seriously need to calm down, my friend. You're spreading unnecessary FUD around, trying to drum up outrage over a "problem" that doesn't exist.

Team Black Hat has *always* made clear the risks of modifying your phone in an unsupported way. If you're not comfortable with the risks, don't mod your phone. Simple.

As far as the differences between the .320 kernel and the .340 kernel, its most likely cosmetic than anything. Either kernel is compatible with either system. I'm running .340 system on a .320 kernel and haven't noticed any problems at all, probably because there are none.

TBH and P3Droid haven't "lied" about anything. They made it clear that while there is no going back, there will always be a way forward. If and when the next update comes out, you'll have a way to upgrade.

ericsch333

Reaction score

You seriously need to calm down, my friend. You're spreading unnecessary FUD around, trying to drum up outrage over a "problem" that doesn't exist.

Team Black Hat has *always* made clear the risks of modifying your phone in an unsupported way. If you're not comfortable with the risks, don't mod your phone. Simple.

As far as the differences between the .320 kernel and the .340 kernel, its most likely cosmetic than anything. Either kernel is compatible with either system. I'm running .340 system on a .320 kernel and haven't noticed any problems at all, probably because there are none.

TBH and P3Droid haven't "lied" about anything. They made it clear that while there is no going back, there will always be a way forward. If and when the next update comes out, you'll have a way to upgrade.

We said not let's move on to rubix

droidxchat

Reaction score
I don't know why your so upset you flashed you phone. Every time something changes everbody lose their mind if you remember not that long ago we didn't have sbf and we just jumped. If it wasn't for tbh we would be run 2.1 still. He will fix the kernel.
And you can flash. 234

I didn't flash it. In fact, I never went to .32 on my phone, I just reviewed everything in it. You and yuusharo dont understand what I'm saying at all. Go back and reread plz. My concern isn't with if it will be fixed or not. My concern is that no one will know they have a problem, they won't know it needs to be fixed on their phone.

TBH hasn't made clear that there is a problem here. They in fact have been saying that there IS NOT a problem at all, when it is clear to us knowledgeable users that there is. It's like these guys just layed a brick in their pants and everyone smells it, but they're trying to play it off like it never happened. They're not even acknowledging that they were wrong at all. You also don't seem to understand that the difference btw .32 and .34 in the kernel isn't just a cosmetic thing. That there is a difference in the version numbers at all is enough to cause problems OTAing. Go reread. I didn't say there would be problems trying to run .34 on a .32 kernel, I said there would be problems trying to OTA with a .32 kernel.

Saying we would still be on 2.1 if not for them? So... we wouldn't be able to OTA if not for them? Are you really going to try to say that? In fact, it's because of them that until a fix is released, you'll never OTA again. If P3Droid has a fix like he said, let him release it already, until then, I say he lied.

Why you guys try to respond to something when you dont' even know what you're responding to is beyond me. I'm not saying that any dev, including TBH, should be held responsible. I'm saying they shouldn't act like it never happened. They should be upfront and say "we screwed up, we're working on a fix" instead of saying "there's no problem here, move along."

I'm not trying to point fingers, but if you guys come in here all defensive saying that no one screwed up, I'm going to be upfront and let you know where you're wrong.