1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Partitioning Sd card

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Droidster163, May 9, 2010.

1. Droidster163

Droidster163 New Member

So i noticed i have the option to partition my sd card in Rom Manager now, which from what i have read lets me install apps onto the sd card. I tried searching for a dedicated thread for this but i could not seem to find one that had all my answers, and if they did they where all scattered. So here are my questions.

1.What are the steps for partitioning your sd card and moving your apps?
    2.Will the stock class 2 sd card be sufficient enough to run apps off of?
    3.Will my apps automatically be downloaded onto the sd card from the market?
    4.Will my currently downloaded apps need to be reinstalled since some of the apps install portions of it onto the sd card?
    5.If i decide to return my sd card to normal is it possible?

Sorry for all the questions! But i think having all these questions answered in one thread would be helpful to others who are wondering the same thing. If i totally overlooked a thread that already has all this answered please post a link and delete this one please!
  2. STeeLeRMaN

STeeLeRMaN New Member

Thanks for posting this! I'm curious myself.
  3. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

1. Well, the partitioning process will wipe all your data off, so back it up on your computer first. After that, select Partition SD card in Rom Manager. It will ask you to select an Ext (Apps2SD space) size, and a Swap (Droidswap, used for the phone to get more memory for RAM off your SD card). If you only want Apps2SD, then ignore the swap. It will format your card, then from there, you can go to settings>applications>manage applications, click on the app you want to transfer, it will say "Move" under the size of the app, click move and it will move it for you.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No

5. Don't have an answer on that. I tried to, but I believe it failed...you shouldn't worry anyway, once you go to CyanogenMod, you'll be hooked on it, and the storage size it takes up (I chose 512mb) doesn't take up much out of the 16 gb.
  4. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

Yes you can return your sdcard back to normal. I have paragon partition manager. But there are other ways to format your sdcard to get rid of partitions. Try searching google. Not trying to be mean I would post links but I'm at work.
  5. jafar78

jafar78 New Member

Rom manager

Hi titans,

Than you for your note. I have tired partitioning my Droid/root Android2.1 using RomManger. I do the following:
    click on partition sd card
    choose 512 (which is the max)
    choose 64(for swap)
    then Droid reboots to recovery and then I see message that saying: partitioning SD card.
    Droid then reboots fine but I do not have the option of moving apps to sd card using app manager in settings. Nothing changes.
    Am I missing a step or two here?
    What do you think?

P.S. 2.2 will be great!
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

The previous poster perhaps misled you. You followed the directions properly for how to repartition your SD card to allow apps2sd to work, but they neglected to mention that most roms do not have apps2sd built-in. I believe only cyanogenmod-based roms currently have apps2sd built-in, so if you aren't running that rom, apps2sd isn't going to work.
  7. shooter_454

shooter_454 New Member

It depends on what rom your running,cyanogenmod,UD new era are 2 that I know you can apps2sd.I'm running new era just for apps2sd.When bugless beast can I will run that rom.
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  8. GonzoGreg

GonzoGreg New Member

Ok so I have partitioned my SD Card and used the suggested 512 settings mentioned above. I am able to move apps to the SD card, and started by moving games, utilities (non-system) and entertainment. Apps such as ROM Manager, Task Manager, etc. that are more "system" apps I have left on the internal memory. Does splitting up apps pose a challenge? When updates for an app wether internally installed or on the SD Card, will those updates follow? Just curious if there will be any issues to keep an eye on moving forward.
  9. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

It doesn't matter if you don't move all your apps2sd. When an app updates it will update the app whether it is located on your ext partition or internal memory.
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

What ROM are you running? If you're just using the normal Froyo method of putting apps on the SD card, you didn't need to partition at all, jsyk.
  11. budmonster

budmonster Guest

how do you remove partitions from a sdcard? i know just clicking reformat doesn't remove the partitions completely. anyone??
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

See the rest of the thread you just replied to

EDIT: Sorry! I got my threads mixed up. I had just written in a different thread about how to UNpartition an SD card
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/55160-unpartition-sd-card.html
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  13. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Maybe I'm not looking good enough but I don't see in this thread where it tells you how to get rid of your partition. I know ADB/CMD is involved and I don't see that anywhere here.

And what I met by "reformat" is, in ROM MANGER there is a "PARTITION" button. I clicked on it. It erases your SDcard, but it doesn't remove the ext and swap. There are some commands that you can use to remove them in DOS. I cant remember them and can't seem to find them on Google.

THANK YOU!
  14. budmonster

budmonster Guest

15. compywiz

compywiz New Member

Parted doesn't work in recovery for me. I think I remember reading somewhere that cyanogen added it into his recovery image to make this available, which is why it's required in that guide.
  16. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

What do you mean when you say "doesn't work"?
  17. compywiz

compywiz New Member

From inside recovery on Clockwork:

F:\>adb shell
    ~ # parted
    parted
    /sbin/sh: parted: not found
    ~ #
  18. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Oh, ok, the binary just isn't found. That makes sense since A). parted isn't installed by default with most ROMs anyway - the only place I've seen it is installed in the /data/data/com.koushsomething.rommanager/files directory which isn't in the path and B). because ADB doesn't mount /system, /data, /etc by default - you have to mount them yourself. I thought you meant that the program actually didn't work, and I couldn't see why that would be.
  19. Droidster163

Droidster163 New Member

Another question:

I'm running 2.2 (Froyo) with Jrummys rom and i downloaded apps 2 sd from the market. I have not partitioned my sd card yet, but I am able to move to apps from my internal memory to my sd. BUT it is only those two apps. Do i no longer have to partition my sd card with "Froyo"? And if so, why won't my other apps show up to be able to move them to my sd?
  20. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I've never seen that app before. I don't think it provides any service that you can't already get from Manage Applications under Settings.
    EDIT TO ADD: This app gives you a nice list of which installed apps have the ability to be installed to the SD card without needing to be forced. Actually kind of useful, so that you don't have to go through every app looking.

In Froyo, the ability to install applications on the SD card is built-in. Applications need to be built with the latest SDK and specifically allow that ability to work. A work-around is to "force" apps to install to the SD card by running "pm setInstallLocation 2". Note that this all ONLY applies to Froyo ROMs and does not require partitioning the SD Card.

Previously, the only way to get application installs on the SD card was a feature called "apps2sd", only available in CyanogenMod. This feature required that the SD card be partitioned to have space for applications to install.

Apps have to specifically allow being moved to SD unless you "force" SD card installs (not recommended, as many apps will have problems)

Apps2sd from CyanogenMod and the unnamed feature built into Froyo are completely different and unrelated. The only similarity is that they allow you to install apps onto the SD card. They are 100% incompatible with each other and operate completely differently.

Unless the ROM you are running SPECIFICALLY tells you to partition your SD card, don't do it - you don't need to and you won't get any benefit from it.

The other apps won't show up because the developer did not build them with the ability to be moved to the SD card. Contact the developer and ask them to include that. OR you can use the method I mentioned to "force" them to install to the SD card at your own peril.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Search tags for this page

/sbin/sh: parted: not found

adb parted not found
adb shell parted not found
aparted sd card partition
how to partition sd card using aparted
how to partition sd for app manager
if i partition my sd card using rom manager will i lose my d

motorola droid partition sd card

partitioning sd card with rom manager

rom manager partition sd card