Partitioned SD not mounting with link2sd and mount2sd not finding it.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ROXASDanny, Dec 4, 2015.

1. ROXASDanny

ROXASDanny New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Lg sunset
    Hello, I have partitioned my sd card(7gb fat32, 7.5gb ext3( and link2sd will not mount it..... I get an error message saying that it could not be mounted. So i switched to mount2sd but it still wont mount the sd card.... I have a straight talk LG Sunset and all i want to do is use the partitioned sd card to store all my apps to free up internal memory. Please help.

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    If all you're trying to do is use the card for storage, I'm confused as to why you'd have it partitioned? An SD card should work and be compatible out of the box without partitioning. If not, formatting it for use in the phone would still be a better idea than partitioning it, imo.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    Not only is it partitioned, it's in 2 different formats. I suggest you reformat the SD card in the phone to a single partition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Yup. If the phone can see it in its main settings menu under storage, I'd reformat using the phone. If the phone can't see it, I'd suggest using an adapter to hook the card up to a computer and reformat it there to the correct file system for your phone.

Or, I'd suggest purchasing a newer card with more space on it if you're that worried about storing apps on there. By the sizes you've indicated, you're working with only a 16GB card. That won't get you very far if you have a LOT of apps, especially games. A lot of games are over 1GB each once they've downloaded additional files. That adds up quick.

I'd honestly just suggest you buy at least a 32GB card (class 10) and put it directly in the phone when you take it out of the package. Do no formatting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    For the life of me, I have never seen a reason to store Apps on an SD. I can see and do use an SD for data..

6. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I've moved apps to SD on phones with minimal internal storage, which I'm assuming a device like an LG Sunset has. My s4, I believe, only came with 16GB onboard. That runs out quick.

Storing apps on the SD card isn't the best experience in the world. Sometimes it doesn't load the icons and thinks the apps aren't installed. But it's cheaper to buy a large SD card than a new phone.

7. ROXASDanny

ROXASDanny New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Lg sunset
    The lg sunset doesn't even come with 16 on board. Its 8 with only 4 useable.... So im working with only 4gb. What i was trying to do was have all the apps i download go straight to my sd card. I was trying to find a way to use the sd card as internal storage but i can't find a way that works. Anyone know any ways ti either have all app data gi straight to the card or use it as intetnal? I partitioned it so that the apps would go to the sd card using link2sd but link2sd wont mount the ext3.

8. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    In the newest version of android, 6.0 (Marshmallow), it's possible to treat SD cards as internal storage, but I'm not sure of any workaround that would help you out on a device like that, unfortunately.

9. ROXASDanny

ROXASDanny New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Lg sunset
    Yea i heard marsgmallow has it. My phone doesn't get marshmallow though.is there a way ro unstall marshmallow on a phone? Like changing Windows from 7 to 10 by downloading it? Maybe completely erasing everything on the phone and importing marshmallow?

10. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    It's very involved and depends on whether or not anyone has compiled a ROM for that particular phone. Given that it's not one that I've heard of before and only comes with 8GB onboard storage, I think it's safe to say that it'd be at the bottom of the list for anyone who makes ROMs to support it.

You're either going to have to manually move apps to the sd card as you download them or look into buying a more higher end phone.

11. ROXASDanny

ROXASDanny New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Lg sunset
    Yea i thought so :( i bought this one for 75% atblack friday.was hoping to be able to use it for a few things... Woek fantastic on everythhing but with the limited space i can't download movies or anything and them move them to the sd. Do you know of a way to have movies a d such go directly to the sd? I think i might be able to download them on the pc and just drag them to the sd card but i wanted to use the actual phone for it. And my memory os glitching out a bit. It says i have 600 mb avalible but i dont

12. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I believe downloads go to internal storage by default, so using the PC is the best idea for your case.

This goes to show that just because something is a great price on-sale doesn't mean it's a good deal...

Search tags for this page
how to use link2sd marshmallow
how to use link2sd on marshmallow
link2sd for marshmallow

link2sd marshmallow

link2sd marshmallow fix
link2sd marshmallow support
link2sd marsmallow
link2sd not working on marshmallow
link2sd on marshamllow
mount2sd not mounted