Partition, A2SD and Bugless Beast?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by budmonster, Jun 28, 2010.

1. budmonster

budmonster Guest

I was on Cm 5.0.8 before and I partitioned my SDcard, I had 256 swap and something else. I thought that was needed for A2SD to work?

3 more ?s.

- How do I get rid of my partitions and get my SDcard back to its original state?

- Does your SDcard need to be partitioned for A2SD to work on BB?

- In CM 5.0.8, there was a "A2SD" check box which turned it on and I was able to move every app to my sd card. I just went into Manage Apps in Settings and their was a button next to each app. In BB only a couple app are able to be moved to the SDcard. What am I doing wrong? When I was on CM i had like 240MB of internal left, now on BB I'm down to like 150?
  2. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

you do not need to partition yoru sd card and I'm not sure but have you tried to reformat your sdcard? make sure you copy all the contents of sdcard to computer for safe keeping before you do though.
    If you reformat yoru card I think it would wipe the partitions but I'm not 100 percent sure. If you look up droidswap in the forums here I belive it shows you how to getyoru sdcard back to stock.
  3. budmonster

budmonster Guest

i still couldn't find any tutorial on how to properly remove a partition(swap, ext)?

Also, it seems when I enabled the apps2sd [-a] [-i] [-e] script in BBv03, all of a sudden there are "Moved to SDcard" buttons next to every application, whenever I go into "Settings - Manager Applications". Before I did that only a couple apps had the AS2D button never every app does. What the hell did I do lol?

I thought if your partition your SDcard it makes A2SD even better, give you more space or something?
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Partitioning the SD Card NEVER applied to BB. Don't do it. It was only for CyanogenMod and ROMs that included Apps2SD. Apps2SD is an unofficial hack that allows you to use a separate partition on the SD card to store applications. What BB has is NOT Apps2sd!, despite the fact that everyone is calling it that. BB has Froyo, which includes the ability to install apps to the SD card. That feature doesn't have a name, it's just a feature, and it doesn't need the SD card to be partitioned. For the most part, the Apps2SD hack is irrelevant now, so nobody should ever be partitioning their SD card unless they have a specific purpose in mind and they are positive that they need to.

To remove your partitions and regain that 0.5gb of space, you need to
    A). Backup the entire SD card to a PC
    B). Remove the SD card from the Droid
    C). Plug the SD card into a PC
    D). Open up a partition editor (not sure if windows disk editor will do it)
    E). Remove ALL the partitions from the SD Card
    F). Create one new partition of type "fat32"
    G). Put the card back in the Droid and boot it back up
    H). Go into Settings | SD card & phone storage and select "Format SD Card"

Yes, those are complicated and vague directions. I'm not going to write a step-by-step tutorial for this because A). I use linux, and B). This is advanced user stuff, nobody should fiddle around with a partition editor unless they know what they are doing. Making things like that too easy is how we ended up with people that partitioned their SD card for no reason.

EDIT: I see now thay you were previously running CM, so you actually had legitimate reason to partition the card. I recommend pestering the CyanogenMod people for instructions on how to undo it if nobody here writes a tutorial.
  5. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

The BB v0.3 ROM defaults to internal installation. You must have run the apps2sd -e script (the middle button in BB Toolkit Script Helper for the apps2sd script). What that does is turn on install to SD by default and also turns on the ability to move almost all apps to SD (before, the only apps you could move from Manage Applications were those for which the app developer specifically enabled that ability). That doesn't mean you should move them all. Apps that are used a lot by the system, and apps with widgets should NOT be moved.

You should know that the options you enable when you run those scripts DO survive reboot. So, if you ran apps2sd -e, all your apps will install to SD card until you run the other script (apps2sd -i) to switch it back. The BB Toolkit Script Helper makes this easy.

You can go into Terminal Emulator and type

su
    pm getInstallLocation

to see where your apps are installing now.
  6. MPTP

MPTP New Member

Although it's quite easy in Linux, the Windows disk manager will only allow you to delete the swap and ext partitions but not delete or resize the fat32 partition. I used Paragon Partition Manager to repartition my sdcard when I moved away from CM as that was the only software for Windows I could find that would do it. They have a free version on their website for x86 but for 64 bit windows you'll need to purchase the software. You could also just use a Linux live CD and repartition the card from Linux.

Honestly it shouldn't make a difference if you just leave it the way it is. Android wouldn't normally recognize those partitions anyway, so if you don't mind losing a little space you can just leave it as is.
  7. budmonster

budmonster Guest

- So on BB v03 and v04, all apps are installed on internal memeory until you use run the apps2sd -e script in the BB toolkit app?

- And the once you turn on that script on, any app that is installed from there on will be put on the sdcard? Can you move apps back and forth from sd to internal with ease?

- Apps I shouldnt put on sdcard are like tweetcaster, facebook, etc. b/c they have widgets, correct?

Thanks to whoever answers this.
  8. chomorro

chomorro New Member

Thanks for this info, and the BB toolkit ability to execute scripts is genius :). I just executed it, i do have a question though. With games that require a seperate download to sd card for game data, will moving the whole app to sd cause problems?
  9. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

Yes, on v0.3 and 0.4, apps will install in internal memory UNLESS you didn't wipe before installing and your last script instructed it to install to external storage. Again, you can tell where it's installing by typing the get location script I noted above.

After you use the apps2sd -e script, pretty much everything will install to SD card, until you change it back by using the apps2sd -i script. Once apps have been moved or installed to the SD card, you can easily move them back by going into Manage Applications in settings and using the "Move to phone" button. However, going the other way, unless you've run the apps2se -e script, a lot of the apps will have the option to "Move to SD card" greyed out.

Apps with widgets most defnitely shouldn't be moved to the SD card.
  10. Parafly9

Parafly9 New Member

So does this hack i found here:
    go to terminal emulator and enter
    su (enter)
    pm setInstallLocation 2 (enter)
    It will do nothing just exit.
    U can now move most apps to sd card under settings.manage apps. Move to sd card!
    May be issues like widget doesn't load. So try it and discuss!
    Must be running froyo, must be rooted, follow command exactly.
    Update*
    After playing with it for a few hours I suggest only changing apps that are standalone such as games.
    Leave the home replacements, active task killers, widgets or anything running in the backround.
    After a reboot it may look like ur apps are gone. Just give them time to load from the sd card.

Do the same thing as running the script in BB?

(FYI... on BB v5 now)
Search tags for this page

a2sd partition tricks using terminal emulator

a2sd script doesn't run properly, better do a2sd check in te

a2sd tricks using terminal emulator

galaxy nexus resize system partition