parents with kids who have android phones....

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
while I think that screams a lack of parental ability if you are going to go against the rules of the house.... I still listen to my parents and I'm middleaged....

but, delinquency aside.... "us kids" got a point.... nanny apps won't work. Taking away the Droid and giving the kid a jitterbug also works.... of course, 17 y.o.'s can buy their own phone's too....

So ultimately, it goes back to, if you don't want your kids doing something you feel is best, you have to parent the kid from ages birth to 17, not just parent part-time and try to technologically outsmart a kid is is terabytes smarter than you are technologically speaking....

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
it just takes one texting f* up to kill someone, regardless of historical record... though it could also take just one glance down at the radio... bottom line is when we're driving, we should be driving and nothing else

now that I agree with.... but since I'm willing to bet you listen to the radio.... does that make you a hypocrite?

you better believe it does! my thing with driving is this... texting, messing with the radio, talking on the phone, talking "hands free", talking to a passenger, reaching for something your kids dropped just out of your reach, eating/drinking, heck even daydreaming... the problem typically isn't the action, the problem is where our mind is focused

I can talk on the phone all day long while I'm driving, as long as the road is distracting me from phone conversation, and not the other way around. When my wife calls, I better be saying things like "can you say that again, I was only halfway listening b/c of..." instead of being honked at by the person I just cut off b/c I was too engrossed in the conversation with my wife.

Obviously, anything that takes both hands off the wheel can be a problem as well. But I would venture to say that most wrecks aren't due to driving with one hand, but rather being distracted from the main focus.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I don't think tming is anymore distracting than any of the other things you mentioned.... and since none of the other stuff is outlawed specifically, why focus on just TMing..

my theory is, there already IS a law about this.... it's called wreckless driving.... I don't care if it's tming, calling, radio, a/c or heater, getting road head.... there doesn't have to be a law that says "recieving oral sex while driving is a primary offense that the first time caught is 100, second is 200.... etc" Wreckless driving laws already cover the issue.

the us doesn't need more laws, we have enough of them that can be applied to a particular situation....

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Here's a video of me driving my truck :)

[video=youtube;tfF95PjAG4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfF95PjAG4Q]YouTube - Kierowca tira z Rumuni - Romanian truck driver [Crazy Dance][/video]

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think tming is anymore distracting than any of the other things you mentioned.... and since none of the other stuff is outlawed specifically, why focus on just TMing..

my theory is, there already IS a law about this.... it's called wreckless driving.... I don't care if it's tming, calling, radio, a/c or heater, getting road head.... there doesn't have to be a law that says "recieving oral sex while driving is a primary offense that the first time caught is 100, second is 200.... etc" Wreckless driving laws already cover the issue.

the us doesn't need more laws, we have enough of them that can be applied to a particular situation....

I think we're speaking in the same direction!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Snoking

Reaction score
Texting

So why does the kid in the back seat have to text the driver anyway? Can't people just talk anymore?

Kinda like the commercial "I am setting on the patio!"

Time to start taking the baby sitters, I mean cell phones, away from the kids and tell them to go play in the dirt outside. Family plan marketing helped cause this mess.

Chris

Vikam

Reaction score
What if you are a passenger?

Same thing I thought at first, it would suck if you were a passenger and could not text while someone else was driving. I just turned 19, had my drivers license since the day I turned 16 but never though of talking or driving on the phone because it was stupid and should be common sense not to talk or take your eyes off the road period but I guess parents don't teach common sense anymore...

Being a parent of an 8 year old son, i would disagree with that comment. It's not that parents don't teach common sense, it's just that kids will be kids. The only difference is, today, kids have more "toys" and will do what they will with them until they learn their lessons.

Well, that's not actually the point i was trying to make. The point i was trying to make is that a lot of parents try to teach common sense, some succeed and some don't. I try my hardest to instill a good amount of "common sense" into my son, but kids will still mess up, it's life. I think the major problem in todays society is that fact that children are not children for as long.

What i mean by that is kids seem to "think" they are grown up LONG before they actually are. Throw in a lack of discipline (due to an ever-growning fear of being punished for punishing your kid) an endless supply of information (via the internet) and you have a recipe brewing for a teen who "knows" everything and thinks he is all grown up.

The difference is, while I thought I was all grown up, I still had a dad who would remind me (if circumstances warranted) that i was just a kid.

Another reasons is this medicated, lazy society we have become. Instead of parents owning up to their responsibilities, they medicate their children so they don't have to deal with them. "I don't know why little Timmy is running around, yelling, jumping, and acting like a kid, he must have ADHD, gotta take him to the shrink tomorrow and get him medicated". NO little Timmy is doing all those things for one reason, BECAUSE HE IS A KID! Kids shouldn't act like adults, they should act like children.

I believe some of this steams from the technology advances in recent time. Children spend more and more time inside (playing video games, surfing the web etc) and less time outside playing. Conclusion: parents are stuck around their kids all day long instead of only seeing them around meal times. When i was a kid, I was outside of the house every minute I could.

Who knows, if my mom had to put up with me every day, perhaps she would have medicated me as well ;)

Sorry for the rant, this is just a touchy topic for me...

Dub

Amen for that, that is what is going on all around us.....I am scared for the future for our kids, it is easier for a parent to medicate the kid or to put the kid in a room watching TV or play video games then to educate them right, and our public schools with teachers in the Unions that don't have a clue what they are doing are teaching our kids nothing.........its a shame.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
So why does the kid in the back seat have to text the driver anyway? Can't people just talk anymore?

Kinda like the commercial "I am setting on the patio!"

Time to start taking the baby sitters, I mean cell phones, away from the kids and tell them to go play in the dirt outside. Family plan marketing helped cause this mess.

Chris

that's because the movie clip is PROPAGANDA!!!!!11

if it made sense, it would be the truth. This is a deliberate spinning of the truth to make the point that tming is more dangerous (than it really is) It's just as dangerous as any of the other issues we've covered (getting road head, calling, reading, messing with radio, etc) but we don't have propaganda ads calling for laws against Road Head do we....

But watching all the people on here getting worked up (worse than drunk driving, I wish they'd die and get their license taken away) shows that people still drink the kool-aid. Where would Hitler have been without people like that?

GodsMoon

Reaction score
Smart Lock - Parental Controls for Android

This isn't related to texting and driving, but I think parents that let kids play with their parents phone will be interested in this.

I made an app called Smart Lock 2.0. It lets you approve a couple apps or games and lock your kids out of everything else.

You can watch this video to learn more: [video=youtube;BW4EiIhVjnE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW4EiIhVjnE]YouTube - Smart Lock 2.0 Overview[/video]

chart

You can see more on my webiste: Nightshade Labs

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This isn't related to texting and driving, but I think parents that let kids play with their parents phone will be interested in this.

I made an app called Smart Lock 2.0. It lets you approve a couple apps or games and lock your kids out of everything else.

You can watch this video to learn more: YouTube - Smart Lock 2.0 Overview

chart

You can see more on my webiste: Nightshade Labs
This would be perfect. I'm upgrading to a new one soon and giving my daughter my droid. Thanks.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
$40? Quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.