Pantech Folds and Takes a Decent Phablet With Them to the Grave

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
pantech-vega-secret-up-2.png

We have some sad news for anyone who was a fan of the Android OEM Pantech. The company was put up for liquidation sale last September, but no one chose to buy it. This inexorably lead to the company closing shop. Although we didn't see too many of their products in the US anyway, it's sad to see an Android competitor die off.

What's especially sad about this one is that the company was developing a new phablet-style smartphone for release later this year, and it could have been a decent competitor. Here's what was revealed about the now defunct device, which was called the Pantech Vega Secret Up 2:
  • 6-inch display with a Quad HD (1440 x 2560) resolution (490 ppi)
  • Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 with Adreno 420 GPU
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB of internal storage
  • 1W loudspeaker (like the one in the LG G3)
  • 3,400 mAh battery
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • A stylus
While these specs aren't spectacular for current new hardware, they are still none too shabby. That name was a bizarre mouthful. Apparently Pantech ran out of money to even manufacture the phone, which is why we are left with this mobile OEM funeral. Their are more pics of this forever phantom device in the source link below.

Source: PhoneArena

Last edited:

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Anyone here remember the Helio Ocean? I had one of these bad boys before picking up the OG Moto Droid, and it was made by Pantech. It's kind of a bummer to see them fold. While the Ocean didn't run Android, I loved that phone while I had it!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
So long Pantech.