Pandora Update 1.5...

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by B-RAN, Sep 29, 2010.

1. B-RAN

B-RAN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So Pandora 1.5 dropped today, and I did the update because it was supposed to make the quality better. On my droid, it sounds worse than 1.41 did on 4.8. I know that Chevy did his own update to make the quality on 1.41 good quality, and I am wondering if this is why the sound problem is not better with the update. With that being said, can someone pull Pandora 1.41 for me? I'd like to reload that one, but I dont have it anymore and Pandora doesnt allow you to just uninstall the update. Thanks!

2. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Weird. I had none of these issues going to Pandora 1.5. Did you do a fresh install of 4.8 or install over?

3. B-RAN

B-RAN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Installed over 4.7. Maybe I need re-flash and wipe to get everything fresh. Does your 1.5 sound better?

4. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I only listened to it for about an hour last night but I know for a fact it didnt sound worse. I installed 4.8 fresh. Take a nand of your current setup and then wipe everything and then install 4.8 and see if that fixes it.

5. Bro Duran

Bro Duran Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully you use an app backup (like titanium), which means you can just restore the backup version you have on file.

6. theplantman

theplantman Member

Ratings:
    +0

Same here,,,updated and have run it all day. Sounds great.

7. kkozma

kkozma Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with ya man. I installed over 1.4.1 on ss4.8 and now I regret it. It sounds like absolute garbage. The compression artifacts and digital swirl are significantly more noticeable in this version. I mean no offense to anyone, but if you guys can't hear how bad and muffled this sounds, you're either def or listening through a set of $1 big lots headphones.

I've about had it with froyo, and am ready to switch back to a 2.1 rom so that I can tolerate the sound quality of pandora.

8. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried a fresh install of 4.8? That means wiping dalvik and data and then installing 4.8. I am not def and even though my speakers I play them through are only 40$, they sound great.

Try fresh wipe and see what happens.

9. kkozma

kkozma Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Help me understand why this would be necessary? What could possibly be getting in the way?

Plug in a decent set of headphones or hook up to your car. If I just use regular computer speakers it doesn't sound that bad either, but when it starts going through something that puts the sound right in your ear or with some big amplification, the weakness of the quality really becomes evident in a BIG way.

It also depends on what kind of music you listen to as well. For example I created an 80's music channel that doesn't sound half bad. It's still too tinny with very little range, but its acceptable. My heavy metal channel on the other hand sounds absolutely HORRID. Almost zero bass resopnse, digital swirl and compression artifacting all over the place. It really and truly is un-listenable.

10. johnzenobia

johnzenobia Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sound's great on my device. running stock 2.2 with root.

11. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dont know exactly why it makes a difference but it does. What will it hurt? Make a NAND of your current setup, wipe everything, install SS 4.8 and install pandora and see if it is the same. If it doesnt work, you just go back to your NAND or w/e you want.

I have tested it on 80s, Rap, Techno, and House and not 1 station has given me issues since updating. The speakers I use are decent. They arent house speakers or anything but it does have mid range on it and gets loud, so I would be able to hear it distorted if it was.

12. sranger

sranger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The sound quality of any Froyo ROM when streaming AAC+ Audio over 3G is worse than that of any 2.1 Rom. The Google patch helps with Wifi Streaming but does little to solve the problem when streaming Pandora ( and Others ) over 3G.

When Pandora streams over the 3G they use a lower bit rate and use ACC+ codex. When streaming over Wifi they use a higher bit rate and use MP3 Codex. I think this is what confuses so many people on this issue.... Some songs will sound better than others due to the way they were originally encoded.

I do not think the problem will ever get fixed unless Pandora changes the way it streams Audio over 3G. Google has the released the half ass patch for stage fright ( it is in SS 4.7 & 4.8 ) and I think that is all they are going to do about it....

Why Google screwed this up so badly is anybody's guess. My guess is that it has something to do with the future release of Google Music and Google TV.

This one issue makes me wan to break my contract and get an iPhone more than any other. My friends iPhone 4 sound so much better over the 3G than my Droid does.....

Search tags for this page
how to downgrade pandora app andoid
how to downgrade pandora on your galaxy s

pandora 1.5.13

pandora 1.5.14

pandora 1.5.15