Pandora quality

redbar0n11

Reaction score
I know there have been some issues stated with the quality of Pandora since switching to 2.2 I believe... and I have experienced this too. (Maybe it was a a certain ROM or something, but I believe it was 2.2 related) So, now with official 2.2 out, and some time has passed, I was wondering if there has been a resolution that I might have missed? I really miss the audio quality, kinda sucks now. Seems like the music is flat, no bass, just blah. Even with the audio quality set to High. Sucks.

OP
R

redbar0n11

Reaction score
Think I found the answer for myself.

[FIX] Fix poor AAC streaming performance (Pandora, Slacker, etc) on Froyo - xda-developers

Just need to change the build.prop and it'll fix it. It does have some side affects, to read thru that. But looks like the last suggestion on there seems to be best. The one where it says to change the HTTP one not the PLAYER one. If you change to media.stagefright.enable-player=false it'll affect local video stuff like benchmark scores... If you change to media.stagefright.enable-http=false instead, then it shouldnt affect benchmarks and other local stuff.

foxdog

Reaction score
Humm... I thought it was just me. I found that a little earlyer but was wating to post/comment on it until i could get on my pc so i could read a bit more on it. You should post on it here once you get it all figured out. Id like to get Pandora sounding good again too

OP
R

redbar0n11

Reaction score
Humm... I thought it was just me. I found that a little earlyer but was wating to post/comment on it until i could get on my pc so i could read a bit more on it. You should post on it here once you get it all figured out. Id like to get Pandora sounding good again too

Already figured out.

**READ MY ABOVE POSTS FIRST**

Clarification of what's above:
Go to /system, find build.prop, use a text editor (or something like Root Explorer) to find the lines I just mentioned (they are at bottom)... Change "=true" to "= false" (I reccommend changing the HTTP one ONLY). Seems like if it saves, then ur good. Just go back into it and double check. Some might need a reboot (check again afterward for the change). Good to go!

foxdog

Reaction score
O ok cool, I was just woundering if your having any side affects

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Leave this line

media.stagefright.enable-player

set to true and change this line

media.stagefright.enable-http=true

to

media.stagefright.enable-http=false

That will only affect http streaming, like Pandora. You shouldn't have any problems with the camera. It won't affect files on the phone/sdcard, so those will still sound crappy if they did before. A nice side effect of this is that the quadrant scores go back up to normal...

OP
R

redbar0n11

Reaction score
O ok cool, I was just woundering if your having any side affects

Nope, people reported having side affects with local things, like other audio streaming things, and the quadrant benchmark scores would drop nearly in half, because the these settings also control video streams too, so that would affect the video tests too. Which is why it's now recommended to just switch the HTTP one, so it doesnt affect other things like that.

foxdog

Reaction score
Awesome, root explorer even made a backup once I changed it. Is a reboot required for this to take affect?

OP
R

redbar0n11

Reaction score
Awesome, root explorer even made a backup once I changed it. Is a reboot required for this to take affect?

I don't think so. As long as pandora was closed, I think it hit's the build.prop on open. But if not, then just reboot to be sure.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
How timely. I was driving in the car today and listening to Pandora through the stereo and thinking -- hmmm, this sounds somewhat tinny and flat. It just so happens it is the first time I've used the phone in the car after putting FRG22 on. I dismissed it and decided it was just because I'd been listening to Pandora over the web all day and was accustomed to the higher bandwidth stream (I'm a Pandora One subscriber). Then I see this post and say "ah ha!". I made the change using Root Explorer with no trouble.

Thanks!

TexasRules777

Reaction score
I've tried both ways of editing the stagefright build prop and while pandora sounds "better" it's still a far cry from 2.1 specs. I'm a pandora one subscriber so i could really hear the difference from my other music apps (last.fm,bbc,etc) so i'm confused. Every one keeps saying that it's fixed with this trick but i still hear muddled highs and scratchy mids. The bass is alot better though but like i said it's far from 2.1 quality. Maybe it's my rom?

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I've tried both ways of editing the stagefright build prop and while pandora sounds "better" it's still a far cry from 2.1 specs. I'm a pandora one subscriber so i could really hear the difference from my other music apps (last.fm,bbc,etc) so i'm confused. Every one keeps saying that it's fixed with this trick but i still hear muddled highs and scratchy mids. The bass is alot better though but like i said it's far from 2.1 quality. Maybe it's my rom?

I can't say for sure that it's "fixed" or not. On Pandora some songs sound a little crummy now and again. Without a 2.1 phone for a side by side comparison it's hard to say.