Pandora + Froyo...Not Good

Reaction score
I have been using pandora for a while with 2.1 but when I made the switch to cyanogenmod cm6 it doesn't work properly. Before, if I had pandora open when either navigation or a phone call came on, it would pause and automatically come back on after the prompt or call. Now in froyo, it shuts it down and I have to reopen it manually. Is there any setting to fix this or do I just have to wait for a pandora update.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
weird...

Pandora works fine for me. I am running CM6 RC2.

Made a phone call today, then Pandora came right back on.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would suggest you talk to pandora but this is what they told me:

Unfortunately we don't support Pandora on rooted phones. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks again for writing,
Mike

Listener Support Manager, Pandora

sling0

Reaction score
I had the same issue on any froyo release if you search around a temp fix is available. If you can't find it post back and ill see if I can dig it up again

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk

OP
dandaman11223344
Reaction score
I cant' find it. Can you give me a link or point me in the right direction. Thanks

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
dude if you get me that fix u r the man

sling0

Reaction score
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=737111

Use the build.props method

To test it out open a terminal and just do the setprop line leavind off the adb part as we are working locally on the device. I did this last night and pandora/slacker are no longer flat. However this breaks watching youtube in browser. The later posts have a suggestion to allow you to enable/disable it easily if you need youtube in browser. The youtube app still works though... gl and let me know if you have any questions.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
because pandora doesn't run on boot and pandora has an exit button. i sometimes use cherry rplayer too.

OP
dandaman11223344
Reaction score
I tried the setprop message but it didn't work. Can you tell me exactly what to type and are there any other ways to do it if I can't get it to work

sling0

Reaction score
your phones rooted correct?

Heres what I did to get the fix enabled on my rooted droid (any 2.2/Froyo release, not sure if this bug persists in the OTA release)

This information was originally from the XDA link above. Here it is done slightly different on a droid:

This temporarily applies the fix, after doing this you may restart any open media apps and see the difference.

1. use your favorite terminal emulator... I use connectbot local session...

<code>
su
setprop media.stagefright.enable-player false
</code>

2. restart media apps and boom boom boom in your car again :)

the permanent method:

1. open said terminal emulator, remount /system read write this is available as a script on most roms by doing:

<code>
su
sysrw
</code>

2. Go into the /system directory and edit build.prop

<code>
su (if your not already previously admin from su'ing earlier)
cd /system
</code>
Next use your favorite text editor to edit build.prop

<code>
nano build.prop
</code>
or
<code>
vi build.prop
</code>
Note if you must use VI be aware of the commands before you attempt to edit the file, as it is an acquired taste to use. I think you can also edit this via astro and edit it, this may be the easiest way for non console junkies :)

edit the line with media.stagefright.enable-player=true to say media.stagefright.enable-player=false

<code>
media.stagefright.enable-player=false
</code>

save the file and reboot your phone. The fix is now permanently applied :)

DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH OTHER OPTIONS IN THIS FILE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AS YOU COULD MESS UP YOUR CURRENT ROM AND HAVE TO REFLASH! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS INFORMATION!

Note: This will break m.youtube.com video streaming, however the youtube app will still play videos.

Sorry if this tutorial is not great, as its my first tutorial on this type of thing :|

OP
dandaman11223344
Reaction score
I edited the line and it worked to some extent. Before after a call I would have to open it would have been completely shut down, so I had to wait for it to reload. Now, after a call it is still open on the same song but it is paused and after the call I still have to click play

stonegold

Reaction score
[FIX] Fix poor AAC streaming performance (Pandora, Slacker, etc) on Froyo - xda-developers

Use the build.props method

To test it out open a terminal and just do the setprop line leavind off the adb part as we are working locally on the device. I did this last night and pandora/slacker are no longer flat. However this breaks watching youtube in browser. The later posts have a suggestion to allow you to enable/disable it easily if you need youtube in browser. The youtube app still works though... gl and let me know if you have any questions.

I think that's the wrong fix. That's just to keep quality. This is a problem with Pandora pausing when the GPS starts talking, but not restarting again. I wrote to Pandora and got this response -

Sorry about that. This is a known issue with navigation apps interrupting audio for some listeners running Android 2.2. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next Android update. Thanks so much for your patience in the meantime!

Tom K @ Pandora

Thing is, I know Last.FM doesn't have the problem.

Zandar

Reaction score
your phones rooted correct?

Heres what I did to get the fix enabled on my rooted droid (any 2.2/Froyo release, not sure if this bug persists in the OTA release)

This information was originally from the XDA link above. Here it is done slightly different on a droid:

This temporarily applies the fix, after doing this you may restart any open media apps and see the difference.

1. use your favorite terminal emulator... I use connectbot local session...

<code>
su
setprop media.stagefright.enable-player false
</code>

2. restart media apps and boom boom boom in your car again :)

the permanent method:

1. open said terminal emulator, remount /system read write this is available as a script on most roms by doing:

<code>
su
sysrw
</code>

2. Go into the /system directory and edit build.prop

<code>
su (if your not already previously admin from su'ing earlier)
cd /system
</code>
Next use your favorite text editor to edit build.prop

<code>
nano build.prop
</code>
or
<code>
vi build.prop
</code>
Note if you must use VI be aware of the commands before you attempt to edit the file, as it is an acquired taste to use. I think you can also edit this via astro and edit it, this may be the easiest way for non console junkies :)

edit the line with media.stagefright.enable-player=true to say media.stagefright.enable-player=false

<code>
media.stagefright.enable-player=false
</code>

save the file and reboot your phone. The fix is now permanently applied :)

DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH OTHER OPTIONS IN THIS FILE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AS YOU COULD MESS UP YOUR CURRENT ROM AND HAVE TO REFLASH! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS INFORMATION!

Note: This will break m.youtube.com video streaming, however the youtube app will still play videos.

Sorry if this tutorial is not great, as its my first tutorial on this type of thing :|

<code>
su
sling0-is-rad=true
</code>