Pandora Boycott!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Mr. Premium

Mr. Premium

Reaction score
I know boycotting a free app is dumb, and all we can really do is rate the app down. I like Pandora a lot, but I just think they can make a better app. Why should Android users get the short end of the stick? The Droid has been successful and I think they could put more resources into this app.

kaboyd

Reaction score
I use it daily without any of the problems I've read it had. I remember a few bugs back on december, but none for quite some time. I can only remember one time it closed on me, and I've never had to shut it down because it wasn't working.

bconne1

Reaction score
I have no problems with Pandora.

Maybe it's user error, or perhaps your device has an issue.

Either way, "Droid users" aren't having these problems - you and a few others are. Frankly, you're coming off like a tool.

Spyte

Reaction score
I have a stock droid and use pandora on an almost daily basis. I would be interested in knowing what the people who aren't having problems are running as I have problems with it stopping and not starting. That being said I <3 pandora and am not going to stop using it just because it has a couple issues.

vessej

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i've been using it for about six weeks during the day at work (even through the bluetooth ear set) and the only problems i had was switching form one wireless modem to the other. I now leave it on 3G all the time and it is good. So good I bought a subscription for a year. :icon_ peace:

OP
Mr. Premium

Mr. Premium

Reaction score
Just looked in the market. Pandora has > 250,000 downloads. Good luck with that boycott idea. ;)

Yeah it has 250,00 downloads. And how many updates? 2 maybe? A lot of people had more problems after that update (search the forum).

I love Pandora.I will continue to use it on my mac, but its too buggy for me. I am stock by the way.

Medicman

Reaction score
I quit using it and switched to Last.FM. That seems to work much better for me. No bugs and plays what I want to listen to.

mootsucks

Reaction score
Just looked in the market. Pandora has > 250,000 downloads. Good luck with that boycott idea. ;)

Yeah it has 250,00 downloads. And how many updates? 2 maybe? A lot of people had more problems after that update (search the forum).

I love Pandora.I will continue to use it on my mac, but its too buggy for me. I am stock by the way.

You realize nobody cares how a free music application works on your cellphone, right? I'm streaming Tchaikovsky right now and its working perfectly through 3G and I have never had an issue with it. Considering it was on the verge of going out of business, I think it has bigger (legal) issues to deal with than one leech out of a thousand complaining that it doesn't work perfectly.

Sorry to be harsh, but you really need to focus your attention elsewhere.

cisco0910

Reaction score
I here ya on the problems. I've searched the forums. But as stated many times its a free app. To me its like your boy giving you a free car, then two days later you find out the rear tires are bald. Now you get pissed and you'll (boycott) never talk to your friend again for giving you a free car with bald tires.

How could he do such an evil thing? Who's he think he is?!? ;)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
A couple of points.

First, if people are expecting streaming applications to work flawlessly as they move around, they're asking for technology that doesn't exist. There are a number of sources of interruptions that are associated with network contention that have nothing at all to do with an application. Since such interruptions are transitory it is almost impossible to determine if one app suffers more than another from problems without prolonged testing under controlled conditions.

Second, I've been a paid user of Pandora for several years and run it eight to ten hours a day either from my desktop system or through my droid accessing my T1 wifi network. I virtually never have interruptions except for the occasional "Are you still listening" pause. And since I'm a paid user, that happens only once or twice a day. And then only if I stay on the same station for extended periods of time.

Frankly, I don't know if the same message shows up on the Droid or whether Pandora simply stops playing if you don't interact with it by changing stations or skipping songs from time to time.

Furthermore, I have no idea what the iPhone Pandora app provides in terms of functionality. I know I cannot create new stations on my Droid but that's hardly a significant limitation (for me) since I rarely add to my station list and when I do I use my desktop access to the Pandora website. Likewise, I assume I can't engage in extended discussions with other users about music on the Droid but, again, that's not something I do even on my desktop.

Finally, if you're not happy with Pandora there are lots of alternatives. Though you may have to forego a latte or two every month to pay for them. MOG is probably the best and has been announced for the Android platform at last week's SXSW festival in Austin. It's more or less a cross between Pandora and Rhapsody and provides much more control over songs played than Pandora.

pcarcr

Reaction score
A couple of points.

I know I cannot create new stations on my Droid ......

You can create new stations on the Droid. Hit the my stations button then menu button and there you can create a new station :).

I have been using Pandora for years and love it :icon_ banana:

Tristor

Reaction score
Why don't you try out one of the other handful of services similar to Pandora (some better, imo) like Slacker or Last.FM? They all have good apps with widget as well. Last.FM in particular has a very good app and some additional features for subscribers that are absent from Pandora.

Chilazr

Reaction score
I had a problem with Pandora not starting up once in the widget. But it started OK through the app button. That was only once though. Other than that, I love it. I use it more than I use the music library on my SD card. It's gotten to the point that I only really use my music on my SD card when I'm out of 3G coverage in the mountains.
However, if EVERYONE boycotted them I think they would be upset. Because the free app/widget is a potential money maker. I'm a perfect example of that. Before I got a Droid, I did not have a Pandora account. Then I got my app and now I love it so much, that I think I might subscribe to it. I figure I'm not that unique in this, so if nobody used it, then Pandora could potentially lose all those new subscriptions. It would have to take a huge amount of people though. I mean, pretty much all of us would have to uninstall our Pandora, cancel our accounts and leave ridiculously horrid feedback in the market place. Then Pandora might figure that they should release more updates, to fix, I don't really know what. But then, I guess if we all deleted our accounts and apps, then the updates wouldn't matter. Hmmm....
But I love Pandora. So have fun with Droidlive or whatever. I hope it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.