Pandora audio quality horrible

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by buckmarble, Nov 13, 2010.

1. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +69
    My audio quality in pandora is HORRIBLE. Any ideas how to fix it. I love this rom.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

2. k00ey

k00ey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pandora has been horrible on all froyo roms. Give slacker a try, similar to pandora, but WAY better sound quality

3. FastKatt

FastKatt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't have issues with Pandora...
    Never did, not even on leaked FroYo Roms

4. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer

Ratings:
    +69
    It seems that when I use pandora on wifi the quality is good, but on 3g it sucks.

5. Ice_Cold

Ice_Cold Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I never use pandora. Imo slacker radio is way better

6. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer

Ratings:
    +69
    I gave slacker a try. Audio MUCH better, especially with high quality selected. I like that it has preset genre stations. I think ill stick with slacker.

7. sranger

sranger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is a bug caused by Google in the Froyo update. Basically they ruined AAC+ streaming on Froyo. When Pandora streams music over WiFI they use the higher band with codex of MP3. When they stream over 3G they use AAC+. Some song will sound better than other depending on how they were originally encoded.

Google released a patch that was supposed to fix the issue ( it is in last few SS ROMS) and it did help a little, but it does not sound nearly as good over 3G as the 2.1 ROMS did...

At this point I doubt at google is going to fix the bug....

It is probably not want you want to hear, but that is what happened....

8. k00ey

k00ey Member

Ratings:
    +0

Glad to hear you gave it a try. I've been using slacker for awhile now but have always kept pandora. I think it might actually be time to uninstall it though :)

9. kkozma

kkozma Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's android that's the problem. I'm running LFY1.9 right now and it behaves the same way that SS 4.9 does. Exactly every other song sounds great while the one's in between sound like total garbage. I don't see how something like that would be possible if it were an OS issue.

The problem with the alternatives (Slacker and Last.FM) is that they pretty much suck if you're in a so so coverage area, which seems to be pretty much everywhere I happen to be. Pandora buffers it's songs a lot better than the other two and IMO just works better. I can stream Pandora on high quality over 1x, the others choke and die.

10. devator22

devator22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was actually surprised to see this, because way back in 4.6 chevy fixed pandora, like really fixed it, and this is the only rom I have used that made pandora sound good again. I have never had any problems. Plus, pandora update 1.5 was supposed to fix the problem with froyo, and it seems to have helped and I can use pandora on most roms with decent quality, but ss still makes it sound awesome. I don't really know what to recommend, beyond doing a wipe/re-install. The whole fixed pandora is one reason why I stick with this rom, among many.

11. sranger

sranger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    While the SS ROMs with the Google patch do sound better than any other ROM I have tested. They do not sound as good as the 2.1 ROMS did when streaming over 3G. Streaming over Wifi sounds the same. I could go on and on as to why this happened, but it still will not change the fact that Google shows no interest in fixing the problem and it is one of the main reasons why I will be getting an iPhone in the near future. I have an iPad I use for work. It sounds significantly better when hooked up to my car stereo streaming Pandora over 3G than my droid does. I have also set my droid back to a 2.1 ROM and it immediately sounds the same as my iPad. I know for sure that the problem lies with Google and the Froyo update.

If you are satisfied with the quality of the Froyo ROM audio streaming over 3G
    I am glad for you, but I know many people who have noticed this issue....

Search tags for this page
how to get good sound on pandora
how to get the best sound quality from pandora
how to make pandora bluetooth sound better

how to make pandora sound better

make pandora sound better
pandora mobile sound
pandora mobile sound quality android
pandora sound quality
pandora sound quality droid
why does pandora sound better on ipod 5 than android