Pandora and calls, any help?

dbmorris

Reaction score
I enjoy listening to Pandora on the motorcycle but when I receive a call it shuts down the music. The only way to get it back is to hit play again, hugely annoying, inconvenient and unsafe on the bike. I tried turning off the ringer (silent mode) but no help. Even tried telling those that might call me that I would be riding but they still call or send text as if I can answer.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Danny

krpiper

Reaction score
This happened to me when I was driving last week, I would like to know the answer as well :)

jimnutt

Reaction score
It's a "feature" of the Verizon CDMA network. One of the few things Droid "doesn't" is allow voice calls and data simultaneously (unless you're using WiFi, which seems unlikely if you're on a motorcycle :) ). So when a call comes in it has to drop the data connection during the call, then restart it afterwards. Pandora, unfortunately, seems to handle this by pausing and requiring a manual restart instead of automatically restarting when it can pick up the data stream again.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can't try it at the moment because I'm on wifi on my droid, but can you set the phone to "airplane mode" to shut off calls but maintain a 3G connection? Pandora works fine in airplane mode through Wifi, of course.

NullifiedKnight

Reaction score
Can't try it at the moment because I'm on wifi on my droid, but can you set the phone to "airplane mode" to shut off calls but maintain a 3G connection? Pandora works fine in airplane mode through Wifi, of course.

I just gave it a try, airplane mode disables all connections, including 3G. Without Wifi you get nothing.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I just gave it a try, airplane mode disables all connections, including 3G. Without Wifi you get nothing.

Thanks. Figured that was too easy an answer. How about auto-forwarding calls to another number or to voicemail while you're riding?

NullifiedKnight

Reaction score
Can't find any specific apps, but it seems if you have Google Voice, you can set it to "Do not disturb". All calls should be forwarded to voicemail without interruption. If I had Google Voice I'd test it myself, but....well, yeah.

krpiper

Reaction score
Can you use the power widget and if you turn off (iirc I may be wrong) second from the right, doesnt that turn off incoming calls?

vatothe0

Reaction score
Activate immediate call forwarding before you start. Turn it off when you're done.

rcfx

Reaction score
I enjoy listening to Pandora on the motorcycle but when I receive a call it shuts down the music. The only way to get it back is to hit play again, hugely annoying, inconvenient and unsafe on the bike. I tried turning off the ringer (silent mode) but no help. Even tried telling those that might call me that I would be riding but they still call or send text as if I can answer.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Danny

Well I use pandora all the time and when I get a call I let them hang up and pandora starts right where it left off, I don't do a thing. I'm rooted but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I don't know how I'd hear it on my motorcycle, earbuds maybe.

etx_droid

Reaction score
I listen to Pandora quite a bit as well and whenever I receive a phone call Pandora obviously stops. As soon as I get off the phone it starts playing again...I have no issues except for Pandora's extremely long start up.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I listen to Pandora quite a bit as well and whenever I receive a phone call Pandora obviously stops. As soon as I get off the phone it starts playing again...I have no issues except for Pandora's extremely long start up.

Interesting. I just took the OP's word that Pandora had to be manually restarted after a phone call. I wonder if the different behavior has to do with whether one has a paid subscription to Pandora.

rcfx

Reaction score

Interesting. I just took the OP's word that Pandora had to be manually restarted after a phone call. I wonder if the different behavior has to do with whether one has a paid subscription to Pandora.

Mine is the free account. Says you only get 40 hours a month, every time I check I have 40 hours left!