1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Pandigital Novel - Android needs HACKING.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by cpg716, Jul 23, 2010.

1. cpg716

cpg716 New Member

The Pandigital Novel is a 7 inch Resistive touchscreen E-Readerw with WIFI. However this is a Android 2.0 (yes 2.0, not 2.01) device that already we have been able to install other home apps (like LauncherPro, PandaHome, aHome etc.). There is only volume keys, and power switch, but a hack has been implemented to make the volume keys BACK, and MENU.

Market access isnt possible yet, but APKS can be installed through USB bridge, or on the SD CARD. I have Opera Mobile, Various Games, New Readers etc, and you can install other E-Reader software.

We have been unable to access bootloader, even from command line, currently the device does upgrades by putting the firmware on the external SD card. If we can install a custom RECOVERY and CUSTOM ROMS we could have any ANDROID 7 inch tablet for around $120 dollars.. Root has already been possible and I have SetCPU installed.

Here is the website : Pandigital ยป Pandigital Novel

Just trying to see if I can get more people working on this.. Its quick to pick up since Kohl's and Bed Bath and Beyond both carry it.. And Its a pretty capable device for the price.... there is a small community that can be found on .:SlateDroid | Android Tablet Forum:. (although the page is down right now).

Any more questions.. message me.. thanks

CPG
  2. cpg716

cpg716 New Member

I just was at Kohl's and the Pandigital is $249.. So i suggest going to Bed Bath & Beyond.. Its $169.99 but they give you a 20% off coupon for signing up on their website (also seem to be available other places) and there is a $20 mail in rebate. So before tax its $135.99 with the 20% off and $115.99 after you mail your rebate in... check it out.

CPG
  3. cpg716

cpg716 New Member

Come on.. anyone got one yet??? Just have to believe there is alot more potential here..

Thanks

CPG
  4. MinionOfEckerd

MinionOfEckerd New Member

Seems like a pretty sweet concept. What's the processor speed like on it?
  5. ieatscones

ieatscones New Member

Looks like its ARM 11 processor
    which is 600 mhz, kinda low for a device with alot of potential
    ill just wait for my 35$ 1ghz tablet shipped from india, thank you very much.
  6. VirtualGeek

VirtualGeek New Member

Link please?
  7. ieatscones

ieatscones New Member

Let me google that for you
  8. VirtualGeek

VirtualGeek New Member

BWAHAHAH! That's freakin' awesome. (And thank you ;))

Edit: It does kind of resemble a brick though.
  9. ieatscones

ieatscones New Member

eh, it works :)
  10. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Thanks to your post, I picked one up at BB&B this weekend. Updated the firmware to S10_07_18K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP. I hacked to modify volume button function (remapped to Menu/Back), and used ADB to install my favorite apps (LauncherPro, Dolphin, Astro, etc.). Still wasn't too impressed. Some concerns:

(1) Slow. Screen is unresponsive.
    (2) Photo slideshow has no random mode. What???
    (3) Wireless signal is not steady.

I was planning on taking it back, but noticed a new firmware today: S10_07_24_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.

I've installed the latest firmware, and the improvement is pretty dramatic. The native slideshow still sucks, but I installed the Android 2.1 deskclock.apk, which has a nicer slideshow function. Touch response is MUCH better, and it feels more stable overall.

Also, a nice surprise: native clock speed has been increased from 550MHz to 800MHz. I installed systempanel, and it looks like the CPU automatically underclocks (no need to use an overclock app). Looks like the minimum clock speed is 66MHz.

So I'll definitely keep it for a week or two, and reassess. I'll chime back in here if I learn anything more!

-Matt

PS It looks like there are relatively few people who know about both the Augen (at KMart) and the Pandigital. I'd say it's a major no-brainer: for about the same price the Pandigital is 10x better.
  11. enjoys1

enjoys1 New Member

The new firmware for PDN is good.
    Now the CPU is running at
    800MHz which I think Samsung smdk6410 has mentioned in datasheets, so no need to overclock using setCPU.
    Also as "gadgetrants" mentioned the screen response is much better now, wifi is a little more stable as compared to 7/18 firmware (in the wifi settings page) click vol+ button to get the menu and then in settings click on "Never sleep").

Android market is accessible after doing the androidId hack.
  12. lawman

lawman New Member

We over at slatedroid.com now have the market working, and are engaged in an email campaign to get Pandigital to release the source code - looks like we may have done it, too. The market hack is a little complex and requires you to use the sdk to add market to an emulator, then manually get market onto the novel. I, obviously, am a huge fan of the PDN.
  13. gadgetrants

Welcome lawman! Good to see I'm not the only one visiting both forums.

I installed the Google Experience package last night, and it's working pretty well (it was cool to see Google Maps use realtime location). For the time being, I don't mind downloading apps on my Droid and copying them over to the PDN. But that'd be cool if we could get 2.0 or 2.1 working completely.

-Matt
  14. MinionOfEckerd

MinionOfEckerd New Member

I'm also a Novel user. :icon_ banana: Excellent device for those who want a cheap (cost-wise) and very versatile Android 2.1 tablet!

Say no to Applepads! :icon_evil:
  15. rubrown

rubrown New Member

This sounds pretty great. You guys think this will ever be stable enough to handle hulu, or other video playback capabilities, or is the hardware just not there in this device?

Reason I'm asking is because I would like something simple for surfing/word doc/occasional movies/shows to use in conjunction with my laptop for when I'm at work/travel/hell even at home.

The ipad would actually be quite ideal, but hey, we don't all have 500 bucks to throw around.

What's it like typing on these types of screens?
    I have alot of textbooks in PDF format, will this be able to open them? It would be sweet to be able to use their book reader to open PDAs and then use the highlight/ add text functions.
  16. gadgetrants

It'd be neat to see a poll on your question. I wonder what other PDN owners would say. Here's my own impression:

It's not "there" yet. At the moment, I have it on the shelf, running a slideshow of about 1000 JPGs. I might take it down, and use it for a few hours to read an ebook. I might watch a little Youtube, or do some quick browsing (forums are good). I've got a large digital video library...I could easily throw 7-8 mp4s on an SD, and give it to my kids for a few hours to watch movies.

There's also a game (Link-up?) that's pretty addictive. I've found (maybe it's the latest firmware) that typing works fine, if you keep remembering it's a resistive screen. Since Youtube seems to work well, I suspect Hulu will work OK (but no Flash on the PDN at the moment). But Youtube might detect the client machine/OS, and adapt the stream speed and resolution accordingly.

Despite the fact that I can do all these things, the experience is pretty "meh". It's not a fun machine, and it's nothing like a netbook or laptop experience. For me, the appeal is: (1) cost, (2) Android 2.0, and (3) ability to hack/mod. If you wanted something that "just worked" and "worked well" then I'd definitely wait until the Q4 Android tablets come out. I'm guessing they'll be about $100-$200 less than the iPad, have much better processing power than the PDN, and be able to handle multitasking and multimedia better as well.

-Matt
  17. Overcomer

Overcomer New Member

I picked mine up this weekend and like others have said it is a fun little/ok device. I have been reading a lot over a slapdroid...lawman is very helpful over there. I applied the hack to get Pandahome, and I applied the 7/18 firmware update. It seems stable and fairly fun to tinker with. The web is not as fast as i would like. I know a lot of folks installed the 7/24 update before it got pulled. Didn't that update have mixed results for some people? I might install it, and the google experience too...

The main thing I wanted on it was the abilitity to do some light word processing and presentation editing. I pastor a church and wanted to use to lug around outlines and the such for that line of work. I was able to install the free version of docs to go (I have the full blown on my droid)....I guess I would have to do the emulator to get the market up and running to get the full blown version. At any rate, it will suffice for the mean time and I am installing a few aps via USB.
  18. gadgetrants

(1) You're a pastor, and you use Powerpoint? :) Just teasing. It is a funny image, though.

(2) I teach 2 classes (6 hours) a week, and there's no way I'd use the PDN for that. Tried a netbook for a year, but eventually moved up to a thin-and-light notebook for the job (I multitask while working on lectures).

(3) I strongly recommend trying the 7/24 firmware. Wifi is a bit of a pain, but otherwise it is much, much faster. I presume (please confirm) that you can roll back to 7/18 if it gives you trouble!

-Matt
  19. gunraghu

gunraghu New Member

07/24 firware update not on the site

Can someone post the link to 07/24 firware update? It is not on the official website.
  20. Overcomer

Overcomer New Member

Go over to slatedroid.com. there is a thread there with it posted.
Search tags for this page
download kik messenger for pandigital
how to unbrick pandigital novel
how to watch hulu on pandigital
kik for pandigital
kik for pandigital novel

pandigital novel 7 hack

pandigital novel android 2.0

pandigital novel android market

pandigital novel cpu

pandigital novel cpu speed
pandigital novel hack