Panasonic Unveils 4.3-Inch OLED Android Smartphone for Global Markets

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
pannyprotoedited.jpg

It looks like Panasonic wants to return to the mobile market with a big jump into smartphones. They just unveiled their newest project, scheduled for Europe next year. They plan on using the European launch as a stepping stone, and intend to eventually launch in North America and Asia as well. This new phone comes out strong with some impressive aesthetics. It looks like a phone James Bond might carry.

The screen specs are fairly impressive as well, although it would be nice to know more about the innards. The specs we know about the device are as follows:

• 1. An ultra-slim D-shaped design for easy portability
  • 2. Slim bezel with high viewing quality Quarter HD (QHD) 4.3-inch large organic light emitting diode (OLED) screen
  • 3. Waterproof and dustproof for ease of handling

There is no word on which version of Android they intend to install on it or a time-frame for release. With its timing of next year, it could very easily be ICS, although that is just speculation. Here is their full press release:

Panasonic to Expand Smartphone Business to European Market

Panasonic will expand its mobile phone business into the global market, targeting at nine million units of overseas sales in fiscal year 2016.

Tokyo, Japan - Panasonic announced today that it will expand its smartphone business to the European market in March 2012. At the same time, it announced its aim to bring its overseas smartphone sales to nine million units in fiscal year 2016, ending March 31, 2016, using Europe as a stepping stone to the global market.

With the mobile phone market rapidly shifting to smartphone usage worldwide and a steady growth expected particularly overseas, Panasonic aims to tap into this growth with its first global model smartphone for the European market in March 2012.

The main characteristics of the global model are:
1. An ultra-slim D-shaped design for easy portability
2. Slim bezel with high viewing quality Quarter HD (QHD) 4.3-inch large organic light emitting diode (OLED) screen
3. Waterproof and dustproof for ease of handling

Using this as a reference model, Panasonic will expand its lineup, aiming at sales of 1.5 million smartphones in Europe next fiscal year. Furthermore, in fiscal year 2016, Panasonic targets global sales of 15 million units, including nine million in Europe, Asia, China, and the United States and six million in Japan (of which five million are smartphones).

The Panasonic Group created the Systems & Communications Company (SNC) in April this year in advance of its reorganization scheduled for January 2012 in order to handle products and services related to system, network and mobile communications. Within this company, Panasonic will maximize its internal resources, including making use of an existing factory in Malaysia. Currently, phones for the Japanese market are manufactured in this factory but now the same factory is also scheduled to manufacture the first global model as announced.

Panasonic will continue to expand its product lineup and increase sales in a speedy process by thoroughly utilizing the Group's technological assets and development resources as well as its production and sales sites around the world, thereby strengthening development, production, and sales structure and product competitiveness.

Source: Engadget

Last edited:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I don't want any goddamn Bond movie phone , all I want is the Nexus. Is it to much to ask for?
Sry , but I had to let it out.

Jonas

Reaction score
I was feeling like my D2G was crap till I saw this. Now I kinda like my D2G a little better. Not to trash on this phone that I know nothing about, but right away, the aesthetics is not there, but maybe it will surprise me. As for ranting about Nexus. Really?

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
isnt Super AMLOLED > OLED?

ya... it is... it's the active matrix-oled screen...
as opposed to the pmoled... which is the passive matrix-oled..
and the super is kinda a selling point... and also hinting that the resolution of the screen should be pretty high quality to the eye

ambrown

Reaction score
I'm actually digging the design. It seems like most smartphone designs leave something to be desired. There are, of course, exceptions as there are some phones that have pretty impressive design. I'll say outright that Samsung doesn't cut it for me; their phones feel like happy meal toys.

I want excellent engineering, good industrial design. Taking tips from Apple wouldn't hurt (except with iPhone 4+, what were they thinking with all that glass? You know how many people I see walking around with cracked glass on their iPhones?). Sony has had some good design in the past too.

Currently the Razr has pulled through as the best designed phone imo.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

rjsurfer

Reaction score
I just got to work here at Best Buy and I can see it the computer, looks like we have 10 in stock and a release date of 16th.:D

Ron W.