Panasonic ToughPad A1 Commercial; Product Likely Released in Fall of this Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;VxGw3zr5u3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGw3zr5u3M&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

Last year we were teased about the Panasonic ToughPad A1, which is a military-grade super tough Android tablet. The device was never officially launched, but a new commercial and some new rumors suggest it may be coming soon. As you can see from the video above, the tablet is designed to be water-proof, dust-proof, and shock-resistant. Last year when they teased it, they were talking about Honeycomb. Luckily according to this latest report, it will come with Ice Cream Sandwich instead. The latest rumors suggest the tablet will come in the Fall of this year, although may become available as soon as August. Here's a quick spec recap, followed by some pricing details,
  • 10.1 inch LCD screen
  • 1.2GHz dual core processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 16GB storage
  • Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS with optional 3G or 4G LTE capability
  • Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Ultra-tough design specs
Keep one thing in mind before you get too excited to go grab on of these. They are extremely pricey since they are designed to cater to the defence, utility and construction industries. One of these tablet will probably set you back $1,599. Of course, for those who can truly justify this, the price is money well-spent.

Source: Hexus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
It's a cool commercial but the part with the water jets and the sand blaster both look suspiciously like CGI. I wonder if any of that stuff is covered by the warranty. I'm still waiting for the nano-technology we were promised that would make things more resilient to scrapes, scuffs, and other damage. Nevertheless I would definitely look into a toughpad... if I could afford it. :crazy:

frankiez

Reaction score
I am a Verizon FIOS tech and starting in the fall we will be issued these tablets. We used to have Panasonic toughbooks that we used in our vans but they've gotten outdated and have constant software glitches. It will be nice since cuz since they got rid of our toughbooks we have had to use our lousy BB Bold cell phones to run our apps. They arent the greatest.

Hiker5208

Reaction score
I happen to know a Panasonic dealer who does tons of commercial work. They actually are producing these now, but the US Government is sucking up all the production of them for something. Otherwise you would be seeing them now.