Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by lowtech, Nov 8, 2009.

1. quitob1

quitob1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I'll add those to my list and will try them out if I can get a test Android somewhere before committing. CalendarPad/Agenda Widget look nice -are calendar entries still made using the 'slot-machine' date and time picker method (like the iPhone, and WebOS)? I find that very inefficient and would prefer to tap the time/date, or type it directly.....

2. alwerner

alwerner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The nice thing is you have three front end options to your calendar:
    Calendar Application
    Mobile Calendar via browser
    Google Calendar on your desktop

The last two do allow you to pick a date or type a date.

3. quitob1

quitob1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips and hopefully those apps meet my needs. Specifically this is what I'm hoping to be able to continue doing:

Chatteremail also supports IMAP idle and works with gmail. I specifically love that I can color code my email according to destination folder (bank alerts, work email, home email, etc) and then show them all in the combined view color coded but threaded chronologically by day and time. I also can set schedules to automatically turn off work email at 7pm-7am and on weekends. Pushing a single button cycles a list of my work emails, then my home emails, or all in the combined view.

Datebk6 allows me to color code different calendars (work, personal, weekend trips, family/friends, bills due, etc) and set schedules to hide/show those to calendars on certain days and times. Event entry in datebk6 is quick and fast with shortcuts. (Shortcuts are preprogrammed phrases like "dinner with____", "samantha & harold", or "chandler and joelle") retrieved by typing option s-lettercombo.) I can create to-dos or events pretty quickly with just a few keystrokes - sometimes without even looking!

Splashshopper is my list maker for wish-list items, travel packing lists, video rental lists, and of course groceries all synced to my Mac Splashshopper Desktop database. I heard they're making an Android version, but it's still to be seen.

Thanks for your input and I hope to get the EVO soon!

4. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Wow, I got the Palm Treo 700wx, and it was my first smartphone. I loved it. Yea yea it had Windows Mobile but I still enjoyed it. It was a mini-PDA so I could look online and install any .cab file I wanted on it. I later got an HTC Mogul (Verizon vx6800), and loved that one, too (a tad more powerful, larger screen, slide-out keyboard, scroll wheel was freakin awesome!).

But I'm now rockin' Moto Droid 1, rooted, custom UD eXtreme 8.0.0 ROM with ADW Launcher, sportin y0rk's White theme.

I'm enjoying my phone experience immensely :)

5. GlenHurley

GlenHurley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used palm smartphones for years. I HATE the way the DROID is set up for business. Its a toy for kids who want to play games and play on the internet. The contact manager is a joke and the daytimer calendar app that comes with it is useless. Ive looked and looked for a decent csledar with reliable reminders, and no luck. Right now, I think this DROID is an overpriced toy.

6. orangecountyfell

orangecountyfell New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I came from a palm 750 windows version. I am so glad to be away from windows. The droid incredible is really a great phone. I moved everything from outlook to google and after a few weeks you won't miss outlook. get an apt for to do's and you are set. welcome to the android world.

7. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member

Ratings:
    +4
  8. hush

hush New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    B-Folders

B-Folders can import Palm notes and contacts now. When I started using it, it could not do that and I had to manually transfer my data from Palm desktop and other wallet applications that I used at that time. Now I use only B-Folders for all my personal data and it syncs great. You have to check it out:

B-Folders

Moreover, it can keep nested folders, notes in folders can be reorder as you wish, just like nothing out there!

9. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +18
    this is an interesting bump... its only from october i guess...

10. gretaperl

gretaperl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm an old Palm user and this is where I am -- considering a Droid and hoping for some hand-holding.

I started using a PDA about 1997 and have been through the Zaurus, Palm Pilot, Handspring Visor, Sony Clie, and finally upgraded to one with a phone 4 years ago with the Palm Centro. One button on my Centro has gotten quirky, so I need to upgrade, and will have to bite the bullet and pay for online access (yeah, I'm really cheap).

My biggest concerns are transferring my data (calendar back to 1997, lots of memos sorted into categories) and being able to back it all up on my PC. I don't like backing up online. I have to have a physical keyboard, preferably a good-sized one -- it won't bother me if the device itself is pretty big.

Any suggestions for what Droid models to look at would be welcome, as well as the latest info on how to transfer Palm data and how to back up on PC.

Thanks so much!
    Greta

Search tags for this page

datebk replacement

droid exchange calendar sync pocketmirror
how to export pimlical data
migrate from palm treo 650 to galaxy s4
palm desktop on android s4

palm users who changed to droid

tranfer all contacts from centro to android

transfer blue nomad memos from palm to android

transfer palm data to android