Pairing Droid to two bluetooth devices simultaneously

pudah

Reaction score
Can I do this? Im thinking of installing an aftermarket stereo into my car and keeping the stock OnStar/Bluetooth. I want it to auto connect to the GM Bluetooth for calls, and connect to the stereo for streaming music. Can I do this?

iamjoe

Reaction score
I think you'd have to bounce back and forth. I connect to a motorola blue tooth stereo module for streaming music from my droid to my car stereo. I can answer calls on it too. But if I want to use my plantronics headset, I am pretty sure that I need to go into settings on the droid and connect to it.

My 2 cents

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Although I havent checked, most BT devices can "Store" more than one device in a list of devices to connect to, but I have not yet seen one BT device such as a phone (because I have a ninovo BT set :) ) have more than one device connected to it at the same time.

You would have to jump between both, but they should both be available when switching, etc. (wouldn't have to re-pair once set)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you need two individual BT radios to pair two devices at once. The PS3 can have 7 controllers attached because it's got 7 individual BT radios.

As far as I know, the Droid only has one. I dont know of any phones that have more than one.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or at least, like my Dinovo desktop, one BT receiver acting like a hub, I don't know the max number off hand, but my KB, mouse and media pad are on all the time, plus other BT stuff I've connected to, including my Droid, though it didn't give me much use.

mek_man

Reaction score
Can I do this? Im thinking of installing an aftermarket stereo into my car and keeping the stock OnStar/Bluetooth. I want it to auto connect to the GM Bluetooth for calls, and connect to the stereo for streaming music. Can I do this?

Pudah,

You can do this. I am doing this in my 09 Saturn Sky. Check out my write-up in my blog here.

mek_man Blog Archive no a2dp.. no problem? (part 5)

Hope this helps!

mek_man :)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pudah,

You can do this. I am doing this in my 09 Saturn Sky. Check out my write-up in my blog here.

Hope this helps!

Yes, this will work sort of, but it does not involve two separate bluetooth connections, just one connection that does two things. The OP specifically asked about two separate and functional bluetooth connections from his phone, which is not possible.

mek_man

Reaction score
Pudah,

Hope this helps!

Yes, this will work sort of, but it does not involve two separate bluetooth connections, just one connection that does two things. The OP specifically asked about two separate and functional bluetooth connections from his phone, which is not possible.

This works fine for what he wants to do. He wants HFP through the factory onstar/bluetooth and streaming audio (a2dp) through the headunit. The droid supports this without a problem. When a phone call comes in it mutes the audio to the headunit and takes the call. When the call is completed it goes back to streaming over the radio. I do this everyday and it is two separate bluetooth connections.

Technoman

Reaction score
Pudah,

Hope this helps!

This works fine for what he wants to do. He wants HFP through the factory onstar/bluetooth and streaming audio (a2dp) through the headunit. The droid supports this without a problem. When a phone call comes in it mutes the audio to the headunit and takes the call. When the call is completed it goes back to streaming over the radio. I do this everyday and it is two separate bluetooth connections.

Interesting, then I should be able to get connected to my BT headset for phone, and my T505 Motorola for music streaming. I have not been successful in getting my Droid to connect to both devices at the same time. Paired yes, but not connected. Perhaps it is because the T505 also supports the Headset profile in addition to the A2DP?

mek_man

Reaction score

Interesting, then I should be able to get connected to my BT headset for phone, and my T505 Motorola for music streaming. I have not been successful in getting my Droid to connect to both devices at the same time. Paired yes, but not connected. Perhaps it is because the T505 also supports the Headset profile in addition to the A2DP?

If the T505 supports HFP and a2dp you need to change the connection on the droid to be only media audio and not phone and media audio. Long press on the T505 under bluetooth connections and select Options.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
Yeah, you need two individual BT radios to pair two devices at once. The PS3 can have 7 controllers attached because it's got 7 individual BT radios.

As far as I know, the Droid only has one. I dont know of any phones that have more than one.

Thanks... that makes sense. I was specifically thinking of the PS3 when I thought it might be doable. I didn't know there were 7 radios.

Or at least, like my Dinovo desktop, one BT receiver acting like a hub, I don't know the max number off hand, but my KB, mouse and media pad are on all the time, plus other BT stuff I've connected to, including my Droid, though it didn't give me much use.

That makes sense. My computer has that hub too. Damn.

Pudah,

Hope this helps!

Pudah,

Hope this helps!

Very good... this is what I'm looking to do! Thanks!

Reaction score
bump to see how it worked out using the T505 to play music/nav commands through the car stereo, and have calls going through an earpiece.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Just an FYI, to anyone who might pull this up in a search, It would seem the Droid has at least 2 radios, as I am able to connect 2 Wiimotes and play multiplayer on NES/SNES etc using the wiimotecontroller app on the market.

Taegost

Reaction score
The problem maui stern from the fact that you have two devices that can handle the same thing (calls).
When aBT device connects to something, it sends a list of features it supports to the phone. The phone then responds with the list of features it supports (that's why hands free doesn't work yet).
Most devices can only handle doing a specific task to one BT accessory at a time. So, if you have two phone sets connected, only one works at a time.
I suspect that is the issue with the op, since they both do calls, it switches between them because it sees the headset as the priority for the phone.

My Droid Does Tapatalk...