Pair watch with new phone without a FDR?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here is a question for the smart watch community. have you found a way to pair your watch with a new phone without doing a FDR on the watch? I setup my new phone last night and selected "Forget This Watch" in the AW App on my old phone first. I was hoping there was a way to just pair the watch to the new phone, like other BT devices; but could not find a way. Did a FDR on the watch and then performed the initial pairing with the new phone and all is good. Doing a FDR on the watch is probably the best option anyway, so the watch and phone start of freshly paired. Just curious to know if the option even exists, or if anyone else has found a different way.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When I got my 6P, I just did the FDR on the watch right away. I figured that was the best/cleanest way to set it up with a new phone, like you said.

I would assume that the FDR is required because of the nature of the device. Since the apps installed on your watch are directly related to what's installed on your phone, it'd be chaos to just pair the watch to a new phone that might not have all of the same apps installed on it. Unless they did a "forget phone" or "pair with new phone" option that uninstalled all watch apps, but at that point, I think you'd be best off doing the FDR anyway.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's kind of what I was thinking Jonny. Was just curious if I was over looking something. I think that is the only option right now, and agree its probably the best way to go. Maybe a future AW version will have an "Unpair / Forget" option that will be similar to the FDR without the full reset? At least it's a pretty quick process.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If I move my gwatch from my note edge..to my turbo, I always have just done an fdr on the watch..and made sure I had androidwear on the device..

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Did y'all figure out if you can pair with a new phone without doing an FDR on the watch?

Not that I am aware of, I think that is the only way. FDR on the watch. Then install Android Wear on your new phone and start the pairing process. I don't know of any other way.