p3droid's lv 125-1200mhz vs chevyno1 ulv 1.25ghz on BB 0.4 2.2?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Californian, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Californian

Californian New Member

Searched but didn't see a thread for this yet so...
    If I'm OC'ing for to around 1.2 ghz, what's the best kernel to use? I've heard the best about p3droid and chevyno1's, but are there any better ones out there?
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

id say those are two of the top ones

and every phone is different - try both and see which one u get better results from (speed, lag, battery performance)

i say go for the ULV one if your phone can handle it but if not switch to the other one
  3. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

Although P3Droid and Chevy seem to get the most "press," there are other choices out there, and there are folks who swear by the other makes (jake, jdflg, for instance). I've literally tried them all (at least those of 1.0Ghz and above), and Chevy's 1.1Ghz LV works best for me.

Here's a complete listing of all available Froyo kernels: Froyo Kernels - Android Forums.
  4. Californian

Californian New Member

Sweet I'll try that out thanks!
  5. ssgtboehnlein

ssgtboehnlein New Member

JDFLG 1.2 .32cm for me runs flawless and better battery life than any of the others even on kangarade roms. His low end of 300 is so snappy, BUT thats my phone you have to try them all and find what works for you. Until i got my replacement droid i never could run 1300 now this one can they are all diffrent just give all the DEVS a try they all deserve it and to Pete for the best Roms. I have tried all roms and Petes is by far the most stable and reliable. Ive tried all Kernels and only JDFLG agrees with my phone and BB4. Good luck to you!
  6. BuglessFan

BuglessFan New Member

I'm glad this thread popped up. I'm giving jdflg's 1.2 a try now. Seems pretty nice early on, we'll see how it holds up.
  7. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i'm thinking about trying a different rom than what came with bb.4, but i dont want to have to constantly be flashing and trying to figure out what works best. i might try one of those.
    and the whole low voltage, ultra-low voltage, medium voltage thing, i've heard sometimes a low or medium can actaully work better than an ultra-low for better heat and battery life; it seems really touchy to me
  8. DeckerForceUSA

DeckerForceUSA New Member

I recently tacked on the 1.25 ghz uLow kernel from Chevy, and I don't think I will be trying any other kernels for awhile, as this feels like the prime contender. Low battery temps with performance makes a happy, rooted Droid owner out of me.
  9. Teezy

Teezy New Member

noob moment - can anyone explain what the "voltage" is?
  10. trainstroker

trainstroker New Member

how much voltage is drawn from the battery. voltage is the potential difference put across the + and - terminals of a battery. Simply put, voltage measures how much energy is carried through a wire, and current is the rate at which that energy is carried. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but current is what charges the battery. An elementary electromagnetic physics equation is V=IR where v = voltage, i = current, r = resistance. Lower voltage used = less current used; less current used = more battery life.
  11. mojo_droid

mojo_droid Premium Member Premium Member Developer

another way to look at is through an equation for power: power = voltage * current (aka P=VI); hence lower voltage means lower power used

however, i'm not sure if teezy was asking for an explaination of voltage or for the actual voltage of the ULV kernal?
  12. trainstroker

trainstroker New Member

Him using voltage in quotes and saying it's a noob question leads me to believe it is not the latter.
  13. Teezy

Teezy New Member

Haha thanks guys, I get it now :]
    I knew what voltage was, literally, but not like... what it specifically meant as far as kernels go, as it being I am still relatively new to this whole shabang. I'm getting the hang of it though! I'm guessing that the lower the voltage, more battery life and less satisfactory performance and vice versa? I remember being on ChevyNo1's HV 1.25Ghz kernel a long time ago and iit was great, but my battery barely lasted for any more than 4 hours and overheated often to the point where the device rebooted itself out of nowhere.
    Now I'm on P3Droid's 1.25Ghz LV kernel... I'd go for ULV but I'll experiment with it, since every phone is different... I mean, its not like there aren't 10,000,000 FroYo kernels out there. LOL.
    Thanks again :D

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk
  14. trainstroker

trainstroker New Member

phone speed has nothing to do with voltage. that's only governed by clock speed. it's like gas. if you put more gas in your car, your car won't go faster, but if you run out of gas, the car won't go at all. so if your voltage is too low for your hardware to handle, then things will start to crap out.
  15. wezil

wezil New Member

How do the low voltage ROMs effect temps?
  16. virtueoftheabsurd

virtueoftheabsurd New Member

I hate to add more to the mix, but it is important to note that performance does not always correlate with higher processing speeds. Sure, your phone can be blazing fast at running calculations, but if you get homescreen redraws and lags, then you wind up wasting more time.

Anyway, I get the best performance with an 800 MHz kernel (specifically: Chevy's 800LV). I can run his 1.25GHz with no problem, and my Quadrant scores go through the roof. Yet, my phone is truly snappier with the 800: applications open faster, orientation changes are faster, I get no redraws, etc.

So try some lower kernels too, you may be pleasantly surprised!
  17. trainstroker

trainstroker New Member

Computers, like all things, follow the laws of physics. Energy in = energy out. Energy in = voltage, energy out = heat. less voltage = less heat.

what about speeds. i have a 1.1Ghz kernel, but only use 400 mhz tops. does using the same speed on different kernels (600 Mhz on 800 kernel vs. 600 Mhz on 1.1Ghz kernel) have an effect?
  18. Kershaw

Kershaw New Member

First of all, I'm not knowledgable on this specifically, but I thought I remember reading somewhere......
    For example, the chevyno1 new 7 slot kernels, i read on a post somewhere that it's better to pick a kernel that is closest to your max clock speed. so for example you would get better performance or atleast things would run smoother if you use 800 Mhz on a 800 Mhz kernel as opposed to using 800Mhz on a 1.1 Ghz kernel. They said it's because if you use 800 Mhz max on a 1.1 Ghz kernel, you are not using all 7 slots. I can't back this up, but I remember reading this somewhere. maybe someone can give more advice than me. I am kind of curious about this as well, but I haven't put much effort into looking into it though.
  19. Kershaw

Kershaw New Member

Alright, this is the specific post I was referring to....
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ch...royo-kernels-cpu-temp-monitoring-back-12.html
    look at post #111 by Phreaker47. i don't know if that post is correct, but I figured i would give you the link were i seen it.
  20. Kershaw

Kershaw New Member

Search tags for this page
a855 1200 mhz kernel
chevyno1 kernels
chevyno1 ulv kernel download
download kernel lv droid a855

ñðºð°ñ‡ð°ñ‚ñŒ kernel lv ð´ð»ñ droid a855