P3Droid: Some Food for Thought - Bootloaders, Rooting, Manufacturers, and Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
If Verizon main concern is people hogging the data by tethering im sure they will put a data cap. I rather have the cap in place and allow us root our devices

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Bingo!

if I tether and still only use 1GB a month between my laptop and phone combined, how is that "worse" than you using 6GB a month with just your phone?

How am I using 1/6th the bandwidth that you are, and I am "stealing" while you are not?

That is why their argument holds no water. It is not stealing except by the very narrow definition that they created. If they decided to start charging for using the letter "Q" while typing, and you rooted to get around it, would you be stealing?

Verizon would say yes, while any primate with an IQ in excess of 65 would say no.

Just because they want revenue for something, doesn't make you a criminal. Common sense has to have a say in there, somewhere.

If people are using it and as a result are using too much bandwidth, then cap them, or charge them.

Saying that my tethering is stealing bandwidth, when I am way UNDER the typical data usage for the unlimited plan, is retarded. That's some marketing asshat trying to bolster his stock price by "printing money".

It is like my bank and overdraft fees. I told them I do not want overdraft protection. If there are not enough funds for the charge, decline it.

So when I switched bank accounts I let that account run down. I made sure I switched all my "auto pay" bills to the new account. But one or two slipped through and charged my old account. The bank paid them, each were under $15.

So they then charged me $35 for each one. So now I have $70 in overdraft fees for $19 in charges that were not supposed to go to that account anyway. So when I talked to them and said to "DENY ANY CHARGE IF THERE IS NOT MONEY TO COVER IT", their response was that they would still charge me $35 to decline a charge. I asked them to clarify, that this was not like writing a check and it bounced. This is a debit transaction. if there are not enough funds, it should be declined, just like a credit card. Their response is that they would charge me $35 to basically tell me that there are not enough funds, which of course makes no sense and makes even less funds available and round and round it goes.

It's an EFT transfer, there is no overhead, there is no cost on their side to decline a charge. It's just another BS way to print money and screw their customers.

if I use less than my unlimited data plan provides, it shouldn't matter if it is on my phone or an iPad or 63 laptops. I am still using less than my share of the data.

That's how I see this tethering and rooting issue. If you are not abusing it and soaking up more than "your share" of unlimited data, then I don't think that they should harass you.

Just because they are greedy, doesn't make you a criminal.

I totally agree with you. When I go to an all-you-can-eat buffet, I can never eat a much as some of the other people there. I definitely should be able to bring the rest of my family to the buffet so I can match Kobayashi or Joey Chestnut. Who cares if the price they advertised is per person?

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
So should we just go back to stock or wait. Kinda worried

Oxymoron

Reaction score
I am paying for an unlimited data plan. If I download 2gb in a month, it shouldn't matter if it is on my DX, my laptop or a vibrator. LOL

Charge people for going over a certain limit. But if I am within the confines of an acceptable amount of data, it shouldn't matter what device I am on, it is going through the phone, that a I pay for, on the unlimited data plan that I pay for.

So it isn't that "VZW is paying for that bandwidth"... So are we! And unless I am using more than my allotted share of it, I don't want to be harassed.

What if I only use 500mb a month? What if I am 50% under the national average for data usage, but half of it is from my laptop? Why should I pay more when I am using less than the person that uses 3GB a month for just their phone?

That's why their argument is BS.

Charge for people who use TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH, that is the answer.

+1000000000
I rarely use more than 2GB of an "unlimited" data plan, that I was told by VZW was actually only unlimited to 5GB. I use wifi whenever possible, but there are occasions I need to use my laptop and am not near wifi. This is when I tether. CLEARLY not even using half of my "unlimited" plan with 2GB of usage.

Complete crap.

Now as for warranty issues, I completely agree. I knew the risk I took when I first rooted. I took that risk anyway. If the device would have worked as well stock as it does now, I don't know that I would even have known what rooting was.

I googled "screen capture android" way back when, and that was how I discovered root. Sure you can download the sdk and do it via usb debugging, but if you want to send someone a quick cap of something while away from your compy... you need root.

Rooting lead me into a whole new level of customization. I am not a criminal. I am an informed user.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
On gingerbread. Does that look throttled?

Obviously, NO. But i do think there will be some major changes coming. As seen with AT&T with the the wireless tether message. I wouldn't be worried yet, just don't abuse your powers.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Verizon main concern is people hogging the data by tethering im sure they will put a data cap. I rather have the cap in place and allow us root our devices

Bingo!

if I tether and still only use 1GB a month between my laptop and phone combined, how is that "worse" than you using 6GB a month with just your phone?

How am I using 1/6th the bandwidth that you are, and I am "stealing" while you are not?

That is why their argument holds no water. It is not stealing except by the very narrow definition that they created. If they decided to start charging for using the letter "Q" while typing, and you rooted to get around it, would you be stealing?

Verizon would say yes, while any primate with an IQ in excess of 65 would say no.

Just because they want revenue for something, doesn't make you a criminal. Common sense has to have a say in there, somewhere.

If people are using it and as a result are using too much bandwidth, then cap them, or charge them.

Saying that my tethering is stealing bandwidth, when I am way UNDER the typical data usage for the unlimited plan, is retarded. That's some marketing asshat trying to bolster his stock price by "printing money".

It is like my bank and overdraft fees. I told them I do not want overdraft protection. If there are not enough funds for the charge, decline it.

So when I switched bank accounts I let that account run down. I made sure I switched all my "auto pay" bills to the new account. But one or two slipped through and charged my old account. The bank paid them, each were under $15.

So they then charged me $35 for each one. So now I have $70 in overdraft fees for $19 in charges that were not supposed to go to that account anyway. So when I talked to them and said to "DENY ANY CHARGE IF THERE IS NOT MONEY TO COVER IT", their response was that they would still charge me $35 to decline a charge. I asked them to clarify, that this was not like writing a check and it bounced. This is a debit transaction. if there are not enough funds, it should be declined, just like a credit card. Their response is that they would charge me $35 to basically tell me that there are not enough funds, which of course makes no sense and makes even less funds available and round and round it goes.

It's an EFT transfer, there is no overhead, there is no cost on their side to decline a charge. It's just another BS way to print money and screw their customers.

if I use less than my unlimited data plan provides, it shouldn't matter if it is on my phone or an iPad or 63 laptops. I am still using less than my share of the data.

That's how I see this tethering and rooting issue. If you are not abusing it and soaking up more than "your share" of unlimited data, then I don't think that they should harass you.

I totally agree with you. When I go to an all-you-can-eat buffet, I can never eat a much as some of the other people there. I definitely should be able to bring the rest of my family to the buffet so I can match Kobayashi or Joey Chestnut. Who cares if the price they advertised is per person?

Using your per-person analogy, I am the same person. If I pay for unlimited data, does it matter if I use my phone, or I occasionally tether my laptop to my phone?

It's still me, eating the same meal. Whether I use a spoon, or a salad fork or chop-sticks should not matter. I should be charged for my meal, not charged extra depending on what utensil I use to eat that meal.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
Bingo!

Using your per-person analogy, I am the same person. If I pay for unlimited data, does it matter if I use my phone, or I occasionally tether my laptop to my phone?

It's still me, eating the same meal. Whether I use a spoon, or a salad fork or chop-sticks should not matter. I should be charged for my meal, not charged extra depending on what utensil I use to eat that meal.

In this case, the phone is eating the meal. Your laptop is eating for free.

phlux

Reaction score

^ this

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

I am paying almost $130 a month for my cell phone plan, which includes unlimited data. If once every month or two I want to check email from the laptop or shoot someone a PowerPoint file from the road, I should be able to on the expensive plan that I already have.

There are people that abuse things, and they are the minority.

Tethering is also one of very many reasons to root the phone. If I use it once a month, that is a lot. It's been over 2 months since I used it, and I know for a fact that I use far less data than my plan allows.

It's a non-issue other than what they are trying to make of it, in an effort to screw customers for more money.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I totally agree. I pay 108.50 a month for the most basic plans w/ unl txting and data (and insurance, for physical defects haw haw), I do not use tether at all. For that kind of money how is it reasonable to tack on another 20 bucks for basic tethering? Why isnt it included, at least to a small extent, in the unlimited data plan? What makes the data any different coming from my phone, or from another device through my phone? If this functionality is built in to android, what right does a company have to charge for something that in effect, when used moderately - to an extent, costs them nothing more?

Greed!

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

I am paying almost $130 a month for my cell phone plan, which includes unlimited data. If once every month or two I want to check email from the laptop or shoot someone a PowerPoint file from the road, I should be able to on the expensive plan that I already have.

There are people that abuse things, and they are the minority.

Tethering is also one of very many reasons to root the phone. If I use it once a month, that is a lot. It's been over 2 months since I used it, and I know for a fact that I use far less data than my plan allows.

It's a non-issue other than what they are trying to make of it, in an effort to screw customers for more money.

Let's be real here, okay? When you signed your contract with Verizon, you know that you are forbidden to tether without paying the tethering charge. If you didn't know that, well all I can say is don't get into a habit of signing contracts without reading it beforehand. As stated in the contract, the unlimited data plan is restricted to your phone.

So basically, you agreed to the terms of their contract, found a way to get a paid service for free, and now they are doing something about that, you are trying to rationalize how that should be already including in the price?

Really, we should feel lucky that we were able to tether all this time without repercussions. Because of tethering and the soft-bricked warranty claims, they are locking everything down. It's a shame.

rharv3

Reaction score
That's what Big Red wants you to do. Why do you think they grabbed the iPhone in the first place? Android brought phone prices down by introducing so many different devices aimed toward dethroning Apple. If they can scare you into paying a higher data plan for Big Brother's device by saying that your rooted Android will kill you, they win! Stop being scared, people. They're going to make it harder to root the newer phones, that's all.

Somehow they'll stop all the tethering freaks which is the population they want anyway. Google is an open-source provider and will remain so. If not, they become Apple, not taking full advantage of the extremely talented devs out here that actually make great programs and pull people to their platform. Remember, it's always about money! Google makes it by being open, Apple is threatened by them. Verizon understands this and only began caring when they added Rotten Apple. Other companies only cared when Verizon added the iPhone and threatened to put them out of business. Look at T-Mobile...

If Android was first, the iPhone wouldn't be around. People want to get off of it but feel too much loyalty to leave. Android isn't going anywhere and neither is rooting. You may not be able to tether anymore but I wouldn't miss it. My wife tethers her iPod when we're not home. Not a huge loss to me! Don't let this news scare you; once you dig in Big Brother's pockets they will try to stop you.

Tappin' and Talkin' on my DROID X!!!

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
I totally agree. I pay 108.50 a month for the most basic plans w/ unl txting and data (and insurance, for physical defects haw haw), I do not use tether at all. For that kind of money how is it reasonable to tack on another 20 bucks for basic tethering? Why isnt it included, at least to a small extent, in the unlimited data plan? What makes the data any different coming from my phone, or from another device through my phone? If this functionality is built in to android, what right does a company have to charge for something that in effect, when used moderately - to an extent, costs them nothing more?

Greed!

This is funny. If they included tethering in the unlimited data plan, people who don't tether at all will be complaining why they are paying for it. I do the same thing with the some of the channels that come with my cable that I don't watch.

Really it's not the tethering I'm pissed off about. It is the txting because that barely uses any bandwidth.

Last edited:

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Just my thoughts...don't see how they r gonna get away with this...

I paid for the phone, I'm not renting it from them! Its my property, I should be able to do whatever I want with it! I pay them every month to use their network, I should be able to do whatever I want with it....if I bought a tv from best buy they couldn't "take away" the option to turn it off and on simply because I use it to much....the cable company can't "throttle" channels because some ppl watch them to much!

I have no doubt this will come into action soon, and it will be a sad day for the android community

Sent from my Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.