P3 done it again

Big D

Reaction score
Could someone explain what "deodexed" means?

I have the original leak and frankly, it's been very buggy. I haven't had the time to do anything about it and I'm an idiot with this stuff so it takes me 10x the time you guys do it in.

I'd love to see if it's an improvement.

Questions:

- will this require a reinstall of the 125-1100 kernal?

- The newest baseband radio?

Thanks.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could someone explain what "deodexed" means?

I have the original leak and frankly, it's been very buggy. I haven't had the time to do anything about it and I'm an idiot with this stuff so it takes me 10x the time you guys do it in.

I'd love to see if it's an improvement.

Questions:

- will this require a reinstall of the 125-1100 kernal?

- The newest baseband radio?

Thanks.

check HERE for deodex explanation

kernel - yes, if that's what you're wanting to use

baseband - if you're asking if you'll have to reinstall the new baseband, the answer is no... the baseband is separate from ROM flashes, so if you currently have the new baseband installed, it will remain

Bear in NM

Reaction score
d,

The short answer. Original moto/vzw roms have app files with corresponding odx files that reside with the app on your phone. Deodexed roms have the odx files built into the actual app, so no odex stand-alone files.

Anytime you install a new rom, it will have a kernel that controls the cpu speed. The general rule of thumb is that as the kernels are somewhat specific the the branch of the code tree from which the rom originates, it is best to choose a new kernel from a maker who who has made it to "correspond" with that particular rom source. This is not set in stone, and folks do experiment with all kinds of kernels from different makers with the assorted roms. Each rom comes with a low end and top end and number of slots, so if you do not like/want what comes with the rom, then yes you must flash a new one.

The baseband is untouched by the rom flashing process, so once you have a baseband version, the only way to change it is to reflash a different baseband. Wiping and resetting the phone from recovery does not touch the baseband.

Craig

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^ much better explanation! :biggrin:

Big D

Reaction score
One more question.

So if I just root to get specific apps (like wifi tether, etc) and do not go for custom ROMs, would I flash the odexed or deodexed version?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would still do the deodexed version. If you just do the odexed version, and decide to apply a theme to it, the theme will be limited in what it can do (such as changing the color of the clock). If you do the deodexed version, then the theme can edit the services.jar file and change things that it couldn't before (again, like the color of the clock).

I don't think there are any other end-user affects to doing the deodexed version vs the odexed, but I could be wrong.

That's my newb understanding of it all anyway...

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I would still do the deodexed version. If you just do the odexed version, and decide to apply a theme to it, the theme will be limited in what it can do (such as changing the color of the clock). If you do the deodexed version, then the theme can edit the services.jar file and change things that it couldn't before (again, like the color of the clock).

I don't think there are any other end-user affects to doing the deodexed version vs the odexed, but I could be wrong.

That's my newb understanding of it all anyway...

Current Theming limitations on "Pure Stock" Odexed 2.2 ROM:
Clock Color
Date Color
Wireless Provider Color

Pretty much everything else is doable... you can even replace certain native/system apps with Deodexed "non-stock" versions if you know the "trick" :)