Overwhelmed and exhausted! Less stressful when I had my "StupidPhone"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by nyrieland, Feb 21, 2011.

1. nyrieland

nyrieland New Member

****APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE FOR THE VERBAL RANT BELOW****If "sympathetic" is not a virtue of yours, you may not want to read it

Sometimes (like today) I kinda (just a teeny-tiny bit) miss my Motorola flip phone...

Don't get me wrong, getting a smartphone has made my life easier, but along with the ease of getting from place to place, finding the nearest dive bar, and defining the word "stuperfy", it has also left me overwhelmed and thoroughly exhausted. So many help/discussion/forum/tutorial sites, so many apps, so few "simple" answers to the plethora of questions I have and lack of "plain english", for the "layperson" i.e. ME who needs help.

After a few hours of reading reviews and choosing apps, then discovering widgets (still have no idea wtf a widget is and everytime I try to add one to my home screen it claims to be full...on a BLANK screen), then comes the frustration which leads me to divert to another app I should have or want to have thus leaving a trail of apps I have no idea how to use...all the while I'm wishing I could find a task/to-do/time-management/organizer app so I can remember which apps I still need to implement, learn then hopefully use (one moment while I catch my breath and find that damn "easy" button from Staples)...

I hope that today I will resolve the home screen full but blank issue, find a productivity/organizer app, finish implementing dropbox, organizing all the files, folders, photos, contacts (everyone I have ever called, emailed, facebooked, basically known is now in my list of contacts...some of them twice), managing my music playlists (duplicates there as well since I had mixzing then added ysync) and create (manually, on a piece of scratch paper) a list of all the things I need to-do for work, then a list for personal to-dos, and finally a list of things I need to-do on my "smartphone"...which is smarter than me and I went to graduate school (wishing for my 80 grand back right about now).

Anyone feel bad for me yet? Annoyed with me yet? I'm guessing 50/50...

I hope that in a short matter of time I will be a Droid 2 pro, otherwise I may have to opt for an iPhone like the one my 12 year old nephew has and makes look remarkable effortless. (jk...I'm a PC :).
    Thanks for listening...I'm going to make myself a drink now.
    -Nyrie
  2. 252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz New Member

Hello Nyrie, welcome to the community and i felt the same way when i started rooting my droid 2. Since your still stock more than likely it will be easier to answer some of these questions you have. One way to make sure everything works is do a factory reset (menu/settings/privacy/factory data reset) but you will have to redo everything that you haven't backed up. Try to do as much as you can with your google account tho it makes everything a lil easier. Astro file manager is a very useful app for organizing files on your D2. Backup as much as you can on your computer as well. Just private message me if you have any major questions on the D2 and ill see if i cant help you out. btw my name is James
  3. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

4. Hawaiian Princess

5. nyrieland

nyrieland New Member

feeling better...

I can say one thing...super delighted that I joined this forum. Same day responses and from friendly, fellow Droid junkies. :)
    I found that tutorials really helped. I'm still having that home screen issue...why can't I add a widget to a completely blank page?
    Any suggestions on website that would help me out would be much appreciated...I hate that I'm currently getting a D+ in Droid 101!
    Thanks again people. I'll definitely be an active forum member here on out!
  6. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    :welcome: to the forum!

If you have any questions, please look around, and don't hesitate to ask if you can't find your answers. We have tutorials on just about anything you could want, offer advice for things you don't, and will show you tricks that will make your eyebrows burst into flames.

[Disclaimer]
    If your eyebrows actually burst into flames then you might want to put them out -- also, it's never happened before.

If you ever feel overwhelmed by the jargon then just ask for help as there are a few Android Lingo 101s kicking around. :)

We hope you enjoy your stay and find us helpful. :)
  7. DroidMakesPwn

DroidMakesPwn New Member

I had a similar problem with the blank screen. Turns out I added Widgets but they never showed up just reserved the space. Long press random areas on the blank screen and see if it's possible to move the possibly invisible widgets

Sent from my Liberated&Remixed D2
  8. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Would it be safe to assume you have a Droid 2? Or is it a Droid 2 Global? :) Any additional information you can provide us will help us diagnose your problem.
  9. nyrieland

nyrieland New Member

I have a droid 2
  10. Hawaiian Princess

thanks james!

Swyped with an Aloha from Hawaii