Overuse of the term "bricked"

sacnotsack

Reaction score
Why is it that people use the term "bricked" so loosely. By no means do I think I know everything about android and rooting but atleast I have done my research. It is my understanding that when your device is bricked, its as useful as a brick....or a paperweight ....and there is no recovering from it. Has anyone even seen a truely bricked android device besides myself? Maybe I'm just frustrated because of work and people are getting on my nerves. Or maybe I'm annoyed with people not fully understanding what they are talking about. Maybe I'm just being an ass about all of this and this is just the straw that broke the camels back. Or maybe I have a valid point. You tell me.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i understand where you're coming from. i don't mind the term "soft bricked" but yeah people throw brick in to the mix too often.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm still learning all this vocab. As long as I know what it means then they are just words. But then again i've only been around for a couple months

Sent from my rooted DROID2

OP
S

sacnotsack

Reaction score
It just get on my nerves when people don't fully understand what they are saying or talking about. A great example of this: I am in the military and there are about 60 people in my platoon. I was the first to root my phone. Then I started sharing what I knew and even did research for other people to root their phones. I have rooted a D1,D2,Dx, Samsung fascinate, Samsung captivate, and some other old android phone from sprint. Now I'm not talking about using z4root, or universal androot or any one click method. I learned using rsd lite for my phone to revert to 2.1 then applying the update.zip. Now I can honestly say that helping out most of my coworkers was a bad idea because most of them don't want to take the time to learn about rooting, themes, roms, or anything else related. And it irritates me that I spend time learning something new that in no way benifits myself and will probably never use this knowledge again and they don't want to take the time to learn it themselves. One of my coworkers recently told me he flashed an sbf with rom manager on his d2.

Because of the lack of interest of people learning thongs for themselves I pretty much quit helping people out at work with this. There are a few people that I help though and those people actually took their own time to learn what they were doing.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Im glad to hear that you stopped helping them. You're nobodies repair guy, software engineer,etc. They dont pay you for it. Im not suggesting they should, but rather that what they need to do is start appreciating all of your help and time spent by having the sense to learn for themselves as well.

If they dont want to learn how their systems work, they dont deserve the privelege to root.

OP
S

sacnotsack

Reaction score
Im glad to hear that you stopped helping them. You're nobodies repair guy, software engineer,etc. They dont pay you for it. Im not suggesting they should, but rather that what they need to do is start appreciating all of your help and time spent by having the sense to learn for themselves as well.

If they dont want to learn how their systems work, they dont deserve the privelege to root.

What you say is true. I just came to realize this too late. Afterall Google is not that hard to use. That how I found droid-life, droidforums, and so many other useful sites. Basically what it comes down to is that people are lazy.

OP
S

sacnotsack

Reaction score
Also I want to apologize for ranting and raving. I seen another post about someones phone being "bricked " but they're just stuck at the M logo. It set me off and i needed to vent.

Last edited:

kevcube

Reaction score
Has anyone even seen a truely bricked android device besides myself?

Yes. I bricked my mom's Galaxy Tab. I've done my fair share of SBFing, and I know what warrants things being bricked, and just a warning to everyone.. NEVER flash a bootloader unless it is 100% necessary.

OP
S

sacnotsack

Reaction score
Also when applying am sbf make sure that your device does NOT come unplugged from your computer while the sbf is being flashed.

kevcube

Reaction score
Also when applying am sbf make sure that under NO circumstances your device does NOT come unplugged from your computer while the sbf is being flashed.

Well, within a fraction of a second RSDLite has flashed the bootloader (it's of the first codegroups in the SBF itself), so if you were to remove it about 2 seconds after pressing start it's still be recoverable. Most SBFs don't even flash a bootloader.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I deffinately agree with the op. Its annoying to see people posting threads like "OMG I BRICKED MY PHONE PLZ HELP IDK WHAT TO DO" etc etc. This is especially annoying when right above that it has a link to sbf instructions/file.... People just dont do research and expect it to magically work. You wouldnt believe how many people ive seen have problems and then when asked if they did something that was in install directions it comes out that they didnt. I personally dont read install instructions anymore, theyre all the same and Ive flashed enough roms on my phone to the point that i know those instructions backwards and forwards but until your to that point, read it every time.

Edit: ive seen one..... my cousins behold died mid-flash, couldnt reflash it because it wouldnt take.

Last edited:

xan

Reaction score
I nominate the word "Borked" dancedroid

BlueSami

Reaction score
I have seen a turley bricked phone.
droid1 M logo came up so i thought no it shouldn't be bricked! But i tried everything SBF'd 3 or 4 different times no luck!

I will say people on this board like to throw that term around way too much!