OVERNIGHT UPDATE

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Nasty...ART stands for Android Run Time, which is the relatively new platform that will run all of the apps on Android devices, replacing Dalvik. It somewhat works with 4.4.4, but is supposed to be right-at-home with 5.0. Most importantly, it is supposed to offer better speed and battery life.

scottking66

Reaction score
I'm not sure if mine is on art or dalvik, how does one find out

SENT BY MOTOROLA DROID TURBO

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm not sure if mine is on art or dalvik, how does one find out

SENT BY MOTOROLA DROID TURBO
Trust me, you're running under DALVIK now. This is how all these phones shipped. When lollipop is pushed out then you and all the rest of us will want to change over to ART.

711b8c70e7d6df42d66c3791a3c0666f.jpg

c6dfb0a815173f67f1f2d5b1c9f20862.jpg

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
As FoxKat said, you would have had to go into Developer Options, and change it to ART, which you probably have not done. ART is not working very well with 4.4.4, so wait until your Turbo gets 5.0 Lollipop, and it will arrive with ART.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
As FoxKat said, you would have had to go into Developer Options, and change it to ART, which you probably have not done. ART is not working very well with 4.4.4, so wait until your Turbo gets 5.0 Lollipop, and it will arrive with ART.
Ok, and it appears that I wasn't fully understanding KitKat vs lollipop update either. I didn't know that with lollipop it automatically switches to the ART run time. Thanks @kmf1 !

OP
JDH

JDH

Reaction score
I switched back to Dalvik yesterday, don't know why just did. Maybe I'm just CHICKEN

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I believe that ART completely replaces Dalvik with the new 5.0 Lollipop update. It should be backward compatible with some of the apps that are not ready for 5.0, but with all of the app updates lately, I'm guessing that most apps will be ready for 5.0. We will certainly find out if and when we receive the 5.0 update. I just hope that Moto apps like Assist/Driving and Active display will continue to work just as nicely as now, along with my Moto 360. Time will tell.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I believe that ART completely replaces Dalvik with the new 5.0 Lollipop update. It should be backward compatible with some of the apps that are not ready for 5.0, but with all of the app updates lately, I'm guessing that most apps will be ready for 5.0. We will certainly find out if and when we receive the 5.0 update. I just hope that Moto apps like Assist/Driving and Active display will continue to work just as nicely as now, along with my Moto 360. Time will tell.
Given that moto gets their chance to tweak lollipop, I would assume they take the time to ensure that their apps play nice with the software.

If rumors are true, the Gear VR software was holding up the lollipop update for the Note 4, so Samsung is potentially on the ball with their apps.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If rumors are true, the Gear VR software was holding up the lollipop update for the Note 4, so Samsung is potentially on the ball with their apps.

Sounds more like behind the ball.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sounds more like behind the ball.

Idk. S5 had the update in the US, on vzw of all carriers. And the update has started rolling out to Note 4's in Europe.

What's the Turbo's update status again...?

OP
JDH

JDH

Reaction score
My daughter's moto x got 5o as soon as she bought it around thanksgiving. She and I use mostly the same apps and she has not had any app problems. I will ask her if she is on art and if it just came with the 5.0. Her phone delivered with kk4.4.4 updated next day.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Idk. S5 had the update in the US, on vzw of all carriers. And the update has started rolling out to Note 4's in Europe.

What's the Turbo's update status again...?

Yeah, I do deserve that! Lol

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
ART is such a big change that many apps are forking (for now) to provide functionality for both dalvik (or ICS/Jelly Bean) and ART (Lollipop).

BOINC comes to mind as the poster child for that particular issue, but if I expound any further I'll have pushed this even MORE off-topic. :D

(Seriously, though, if you're not familiar with BOINC, take a look. Lots of good work being done with the BOINC project.)

Alright, I'm off my soapbox. :)