Overheating

Thrade

Reaction score
So, a couple of weeks ago, the vibration on my Droid Pro randomly stopped working and nothing I did, or even did under the instruction of a Verizon technician, could fix it, so I had to order a refurb (they claimed the Pro isn't carried in stores anymore). Now, this refurb has a nearly daily habit of overheating, right when I try to charge it. The other night, at work, it completely overheated in my pocket with NOTHING running, and dropped from 100% battery to 15% within a very short amount of time. But, it usually happens on charging. I tried to charge it this morning before work; it was down to 50% somehow, and when I plugged it in a little while before work, it was extremely hot again and didn't charge at all. I tried charging it in my car as well, but it still wouldn't charge. I have it charging on my laptop as I'm typing this now and it's fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue and knows any resolutions? I love this phone; it was my first smartphone and a HUUUUUGE upgrade from my Samsung Impression I had on AT&T (which was my first phone, and showed me that both Samsung and AT&T are terrible companies), but I'm getting quite annoyed with this.

google123

Reaction score
Sounds like perhaps a bum battery. Also initially the Pro was prone to overheating and one thing that cut down on that effect is changing the network mode from global to cdma.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

rocket_girl

Reaction score
Sounds like perhaps a bum battery. Also initially the Pro was prone to overheating and one thing that cut down on that effect is changing the network mode from global to cdma.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

Two random things: have not had the overheat problem, but HAVE had vibrate stop working for no apparent reason (unrooted, stock). First refurb was pixelated out of the box and after SBF...second has been running fine.

I keep resetting my network from global to CDMA, however, phone likes to set itself back to global -as if this is somehow a default. Inevitably, if I go in a few days after setting to CDMA, it will be back on global. Small thing...can live with it...but be aware that if you try this and it seems to fail, that may be part of the reason.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
T

Thrade

Reaction score
Think I should try the extended battery if I can find it? And, I always have my phone set to CDMA instead of global to help with battery life. The only times that it has set itself back to Global is when I've had to do a factory reset.

rocket_girl

Reaction score
OEM extended, yes. Others are dicey - see battery-related threads on this forum (including my own sad tale of battery-fail). I use OEM extended ~ is all I would ever recommend.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Reaction score
I have had this happen several times and wonder if anyone has had it happen, or knows anything more about it.

It happens at night when on charge.. I will plug it in and go to sleep.. 4 times now including last night I have woken up and the phone has been almost too hot to touch.. the temp shows 150 or so and obviously really hot.. I have to unplug and remove the battery to get it to turn off. Obviously this is not a good thing to happen..

Any ideas?

azdrifter

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad battery or a faulty charger,I would get it looked at asap heat damages cpu's very fast leading to a dead phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

don_droid

Reaction score
I have found that if my phone is really hot something is stuck running when it should not be, so do a full power restart seems to fix it. Just do a power off and restart.

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad battery or a faulty charger,I would get it looked at asap heat damages cpu's very fast leading to a dead phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

yeah i hate the local vzw store. ill have to break down and go see them

I have found that if my phone is really hot something is stuck running when it should not be, so do a full power restart seems to fix it. Just do a power off and restart.

wont power all the way down.. hangs up on the "powering off" window....gotta pull the battery.

don_droid

Reaction score
yeah i hate the local vzw store. ill have to break down and go see them

wont power all the way down.. hangs up on the "powering off" window....gotta pull the battery.

That shows something was running and stuck, so the battery pull should fix it. I have seen this quite a few times.

Reaction score
Yeah itll fix it temporarily, but I dont want to pull the battery every night before i go to bed and i shouldnt have to.

don_droid

Reaction score
I have only seen it getting hot a few times, so if yours if everynight than you have a different problem. Plus, is it running hot before you go to sleep?

Reaction score
It's only sometimes and random.. and i dont know what it is.. i do the same things every night before bed, and its always cool as a cucumber... lol

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
One thing I've really liked about my Bionic is I've never had an overheating issue, even with the case. Both my Eris and X2 would get unnaturally hot, but apparently it was normal. Doing the same stuff, even moreso, my Bionic hasn't had this problem once. Thus, this sounds like a problem with your phone and/or battery, I'd definitely get it looked at or replaced.

nateohio

Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has asked this yet, but are you using a battery or charger that is not Motorola branded? If you are, that is probably the cause.