1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

overheating when using nav

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ecfiffer, May 4, 2010.

1. ecfiffer

ecfiffer New Member

ok since flashing to v3.1 of SS i had not used nav at all (trapster included) but i had used nav the other day when i was heading to get an MRI and i noticed my setCPU failsafe kicked in. well when i got to my apt, i looekd at the widget for setCPU and holy neucular meltdown batman! it was 130 F!!!!! it was so hot i could not keep my phone in my pocket. i tried again tonight watched the temp start climbing. any ideas? i really dont want to go back to stock, SS makes a sweet phone i'd rather it melt down and go get an incredible then go back to stock....:icon_eek::icon_eek:
  2. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

I have noticed the same using trapster....
  3. gavron

gavron New Member

Honestly my first reaction was "NO, seriously?"

Then it was "Oh. damn these things do happen. sigh" (letdown)

Then acceptance "Well it's good to know about it ahead of time."

Thanks for the intel.

I hope I don't see more than 50C anytime soon.

Ehud
    Bell206B2,R44R2,R22B2 pilot (I know, not a 747... but... )
  4. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd New Member

Which kernel ( ie clock speed ) are you running? Did you happen to have the device plugged in while driving and using GPS. Also curious where in the US are ya? IE in an area where the temp is already getting warm.

I personally haven't had a problem with mine. However when I have used GPS, and have the device plugged in while driving I do clock the speed down. reason being is while charging and using GPS it just plain generates heat. That said I normally run mine at 1Ghz all the time, but when charging and using GPS I put it back to around stock speed depending on which kernel I have running and the slot I can pick from. Seems to make a world of difference in doing that so the device does not get so warm. Oh and I've tested this on many many different ROMs and they all can and will behave the same way when charging and using GPS. So it really has nothing to do with SSv3.1 near as I can tell. That all said I for sure would not go back to stock ROM and give up SS v3.1.
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I've seen my phone over 70 celsius, so I wouldn't worry about 50...

That's still no where near what your CPU is rated for and batteries are cheap.
  6. etx_droid

etx_droid New Member

Yeah I agree, as we speak I'm running at 49 Celsius, 120.2 Fahrenheit and that's just listening to music at work, 3 accounts syncing, Live Wallpaper. I do have the screen on most of the time as well...
  7. GameBoiye

GameBoiye New Member

Just a thought, some common sense for you all. You put your droid in your car mount when doing this right? It's right on the front of your windshield right in direct sunlight, right?

Even without using it, on a regular day (70-80F), that would get it up to 90-110F. Tack on the extra heat from using it, and it could easily get up to 130-140F, heck, I've gotten mine up to 160F (though that was on a 95F day with really bright and heavy sunlight after 20 minutes of driving)

If you don't belive me, try putting it in your car mount and put it to sleep and drive around for 15-20 minutes, I guarantee you as long as there is direct sunlight, it will get hot. My guess is the only reason you are just now noticing it is the fact summer is pretty much just starting for most people. Cloudy days sure do keep the droid nice and cool.
  8. gavron

gavron New Member

I fly a helicopter. When the outside is 54F or less the inside temp in the plexiglass hothouse is 25+F higher. We don't have UV-shielded nor any sun-removal color or window tint film.

I'm going +1 with the OP.

E
  9. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

Look I am not dissing chevy. It is a good kernel, and I know that even the iphone get hot using nav. I had the clock set at 550 and it was at 12:00am. The nav app was the only app running. I am using lv 5 slot 1000 kernel.
  10. GameBoiye

GameBoiye New Member

Was just saying, I've used the app at night and the most it ever gets is about 49-51, which is about as hot as emulators and such with my kernal at 1.2ghz.

FYI, outside temps or not, if the Droid is in direct sunlight it gets hot. Even on a cold 50-60F day with the Droid in direct sunlight it will get 90+F just by itself without doing anything.
  11. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

I'm feeling this explanation IMO... I've noticed it hot when running the GPS, but I attribute it to this 100%.

We need a placebo, a stock Droid ( are there still any ;) ) to run with BatteryLife app and report the running temps. :)
  12. BhamItGeek

BhamItGeek New Member

mine hit 136f yesterday...but I live in Alabama, and the phone was in the windshield on the cradle... so folks that puts it in direct sunlight.. have you ever felt a regular GPS in the windshield on a day like that?? its going to get hot. I run the LV 5 slot 1000 with it throttled down to 550 when plugged in. Spring/ Summer day/ windshield/ direct sun= any device hot.
  13. ecfiffer

ecfiffer New Member

i will have to try not charging it (my battery was rather on the dead side from regular use) but i did notice that even not being charging that the temp started to climb rather fast in just a few min. i'm just worried about some sort of catastrophic failure and having to shell out for a new phone. i will move my mount so it sits a little closer to my ac vent as well.
  14. goathog02

goathog02 New Member

Just wondering...are you all using setCPU app? I was having heating issues yesterday after installing that, and after reading the comments on the Market, there may be issues w/the newest version of that app?

I was going thru some testing now, but I am thinking that might be the cause. My Droid was getting hot, while sitting on my desk, and clock set to the stock 550.
  15. wtabke

wtabke New Member

I have noticed that being OC'd and in the window mount, my Droid gets pretty warm in general - having some sun just makes it worse. Then add Nav and it gets very warm/hot.

Using SetCPU, I started limiting it to 550 mhz when charging and that seems to help a little.

I am thinking that the combination of OC'ing and sensors detecting excessive bouncing while being in the window mount compounds the the heat problem.

Anyone know of a way to disable the accelerometer sensor so this could be tested a little further?
  16. GameBoiye

GameBoiye New Member

FYI, setcpu was missreading censors from the last update, it was randomly swapping to CPU sensors, which of course will always be much higher. The latest version fixed that issue.
  17. gavron

gavron New Member

So WHICH VERSION NUMBER is good
    and WHICH VERSION NUMBER reports bad numbers,
    which of course would be useful info.

E
  18. virtualhuman

virtualhuman New Member

1.5.2 was causing overheating/battery issues for many people. 1.5.2a update yesterday is supposed to have fixed the issues.
  19. GameBoiye

GameBoiye New Member

For being so rude, I'm not going to even tell you. Why don't you use that thing in your head a bit, your brain.

I said the latest version, what happens when you go to the market and download the app, which version do you get? Oh wait, I think that's the latest version you get....
  20. ecfiffer

ecfiffer New Member

easy bro... can get all just get along? dancedroid and thanks to all for the replys. i havent really looked too much into this since i originally posted. i have set my charging speed to 700mhz and have moved my mount so that it sits right over an air vent which is pointed at the bottom of the mount. oh BTW i have had the same 'universal' mount since my samsung i700 winmo phone back in the day. it works rather well for what I need. heck i even put some mag's in it to put the phone into car mode right away.
Search tags for this page

gs3 overheat google navigator

with google navigation on car charger overheats s3 battery