"Overheating Smartphones Are Normal" -Samsung

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Now that the new Note 7's are starting to arrive, as you can imagine, people have been a bit concerned. Are the units really fixed? Could this thing still explode on my face? There have been a few reports that the new Note 7 is overheating even when doing simple things like making a phone call. Users are reporting the phone is getting too hot to hold near their face during the call. Samsung has already responded to this issue.

They had this to say:
There have been a few reports about the battery charging levels and we would like to reassure everyone that the issue does not pose a safety concern. In normal conditions, all smartphones may experience temperature fluctuations.

While it is indeed common for smartphones of all shapes and sizes to heat up during intensive use like gaming or at times charging these phones should not be uncomfortable to hold to your face from heat. What are your thoughts? Should this be further investigated by Samsung or are they OK by brushing it off as normal?

via WSJ

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm thinking Samsung can't wait for unpacked to move on to the next device (S8). The note 7 has been a setback. Fortunately for them, bad for the industry, no other manufacturer had enough to be able to come in and snag the attention. The iPhone 7 has been met with meh reactions and the next closest device is still miles from being a contender. So this setback for Samsung has been at a good time for them considering.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Every smartphone I've owned has got a little warm from time to time. My S3, Note 3, Note 4, and S6 Edge+ have reached a pretty warm status while either charging or doing multiple things...and yes so warm that it was uncomfortable near my face.
IMO people are fearful because of the news attention this recent issue got.
I think people will move on to the next big issue and Samsung will recover.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yup. My S4 would get so hot sometimes while navigating & charging that it would shut itself down for safety. In the summer, we'd position the arm of the dash mount so that we could blow one of the AC vents directly on it to keep it cool enough to function.

There's no fan in a phone. They removed heat from sensitive components by dissipation. Things are going to get warm when you use them intensely. The only reason your laptop doesn't burn your legs is because it has a fan to whisk a majority of the heat out of the device. Even then, do some intense work or play a graphics heavy game for long enough on your laptop and it's going to get very warm, maybe even bordering on uncomfortable.

Furthermore, you get a better charge if you leave the device alone while it's charging and don't use it. Especially with everyone having their own form of rapid charging. The faster you charge, the more heat is going to build up.

Catching fire is a problem for sure. Getting warm or even what some would call HOT isn't.

Where the Note 7 situation boggles my mind is when I think back to that S4 though. It shut down multiple times in one navigation session for us because of the heat. I'm wondering if they didn't think overheating was a concern anymore and removed that safety measure, or if that feature failed to realize there was a problem on the devices that caught on fire...?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
My Note gets warm, nothing like my S5 and S6, those were very hot, both charging and running processes.

Sent from my New Note 7
Same here. Warm but my older phones did the same if not worse. Over reaction because of the initial recall.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Because as far as I know there have been no other recalls of this magnitude. It puts the spotlight on the note and more importantly sammy.

It puts every paranoid user complaining of a warm (safe) phone in the spotlight.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Why don't we hear overheating stories from other manufacturers?
Because it's a normal thing for a battery when changed.
My Incredible, Incredible 2, and 3 Motos all got warm/hot when charging. Been Samsung since the Galaxy Nexus, and no difference, some warmer, some cooler.
The Note has been the coolest thus far.

Sent from my New Note 7

juggjiggler69

Reaction score
Hell my V10 got so hot while charging it and using it while charging it that i could not touch it alot of times

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
I do want to know how hot it can be. Im still on my S5 and this baby gets hot within few minutes whenever thr DCMProvider acts up. I'll open up gallery, dcm runs, 2-3 minutes, screen will be hot. It gets to the point that I have to take it out of my pocket and manually force stop the SOB.

juggjiggler69

Reaction score
My new safe N7 went up to 126.7° while getting it all set up when i got it and that was hotter then the defective one ever got at 113°

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every security patch I get from Google turns my Note4 into a hand warmer while it "optimizes" my apps at the end of the update cycle. 126f? That'd be a cooler running day on my Inc 1 and Rezound. If the phone is covered by a case the heat dissipating is gonna be felt much more on the screen,a by design feature on phones on any os for years.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><