Overheating ALOT!

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I've had my Rezound since about the time they stopped unlimited data. Didn't really have much to choose from, it was either this or a razr. It was having some issues after the ICS update, so I rooted and put a rom, that solved most the problems. The one problem I can't seem to get rid of is it overheating about every other time I charge it in the car and use it at the same time. I thought maybe it was just the warm weather, but it's still doing it. If charging (regardless of charger) with the screen on auto and navigation on, I get about half an hour before it starts overheating (orange/green flashing light, screen dims, feels hot as hxll in the hand)

Question is, what to do? When I went to Verizon about all the problems I was having with the ICS update, the guy told me they weren't exchanging any rezounds because there were so many problems, they couldn't do it logistically. My best option would be to put a rom on it, though it would void the warranty, it was very unlikely I would ever be able to exchange it.

Should I try going back to the verizon store and explain about the charging issue? If I do that, should I put it back to stock first?
I also thought about trying sell it, as it never really "grabbed" me and said "I'm yours" but didn't know if that would be ethical with the overheating. Or if I could get enough out of it to get something else, since I don't have any extra cash at the moment.

Thanx in advance,
Justin

acousticshade

Reaction score
Justin, what is the temp in your car? Also, how many things are you running when it overheats? Try reducing the number of background apps running and lower your screen brightness.

acejavelin

Reaction score
It sounds like your car charger may be a little high on the voltage, assuming that you do not have this issue using the phone when it is charging on other devices like from a PC or stock charger. I would suggest trying a new, quality charger... Sam's Club carries some decent ones for about $10.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
It most recently did it when the outside temp was around 40, didn't have the heat on in the car. I've tried a few chargers and it still does it.
I haven't had it happen in the house, since I don't use the navigation, lol. I'll try it and see what happens.
There usually isn't a lot of background apps running, I'll make a list the next time.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Some Rezounds have heat issues, it is known problem... If the problems persist I would recommend getting a replacement.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I turned on navigation, screen on full brightness. Plugged in the wall charger, sat it on the floor and didn't touch it for about an hour. Temp went to 102 (house temp 67) battery drained about 15 percent during that time.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I turned on navigation, screen on full brightness. Plugged in the wall charger, sat it on the floor and didn't touch it for about an hour. Temp went to 102 (house temp 67) battery drained about 15 percent during that time.
Hmm... The temps seem a little high, but within acceptable ranges, but the battery DRAINED well plugged in? That is odd indeed... How long have you had this Rezound, or at least the battery, it might be time for a replacement battery. I bought a Laza kit with 2 standard batteries, stand-alone charger, and case for about $20 on Amazon, they work really well.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
It's drained while used when charging since the very first day. I got it the same week they cancelled unlimited data (end of June?) as a free early upgrade.

I found out too, if it's plugged in the wall, brightness all the way up, using the browser on wifi, it gets to 100 in less than 5 minutes.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Reaction score
It should not discharge the battery well connected to the charger, that would mean the phone is pulling in excess of 1A from the battery, although the phone charges the battery and the battery powers the phone (the phone will not operate on a charger only)... still, this sounds like a defective unit, I would consider getting a warranty replacement from Verizon.

The temperatures you describe are normal... Some people don't have issues with heat at all, but both of my Rezounds will get into the low-100's with heavy use, and during long gaming sessions I have seen the temperature get around 117-118.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
To return it to Verizon, should I wipe it and put out back to stock, or just see if they take it?
I have seen mine say as high as 128 according to gsam battery.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Depends on how "non-stock" are you? Custom ROM, recovery, rooted, or just the Global RUU? Global RUU only you are fine, nothing you need to do... of you are otherwise non-stock, I would relock the bootloader and flash a full RUU before returning, although if you are on a custom ROM, have you tried a different kernel/ROM, this might help with heat buildup.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I unlocked, flashed a different Rom (viper rez I think it's called) still s on. The temp problems and battery issues have happened on every version (gb, ics, global ruu) I'll try flashing back to stick tonight and go to Verizon tomorrow if I have time. Well report back after.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I unlocked, flashed a different Rom (viper rez I think it's called) still s on. The temp problems and battery issues have happened on every version (gb, ics, global ruu) I'll try flashing back to stick tonight and go to Verizon tomorrow if I have time. Well report back after.
Just remember to relock the bootloader if you are going back to stock via an RUU!!! Otherwise it is brick city!!!

ViperRez is a really good ROM though, you could also consider one of Nils ROMs or if you like AOSP, the are some CM10 builds available for the Rez.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Thought I updated this, oops. Got it all back to stock. Went to verizon yesterday, they're shipping me a replacement, should be here Monday or Tuesday. Hoping this one works better. He said if I keep having the same issues to come back in and they'll replace the battery.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Got my replacement phone today. Still overheating, has to be the battery right? Hit 115º after 5 minutes, screen low, using browser on 4g. Took me almost an hour to get the replacement working, because it kept saying using more power than the charger (wall) can handle.
Best part is this ones screen is raised up quite a bit, and not solid. I can push it back flush, but about 2 minutes later, it's up again. Going to Verizon again tomorrow.