1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Overheated Phone Unresponsive

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by psearchery15, Jul 9, 2010.

1. psearchery15

psearchery15 New Member

I was bored in a summer school class today and tethered my Droid with my netbook, I noticed I got an alert that my temp was around 65C, but at the time it was working fine, and now 4 hours +/- later the phone has become very slow and unresponsive.
    What a great day, I damaged my Droid and ran over my new headphones..

Have I killed my Droid? :icon_eek:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Well, you were running it close to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Question is running it for 4 hours like that. Is that too much?

I'd try replacing the battery before declaring the phone dead.
  3. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

You're using SetCPU profiles, correct? My guess would be that it downclocked itself to the lowest speed slot that your kernel supports (generally 125 or 250MHz) and "forgot" to kick it back up afterwards. Did you try a battery pull? If you kill a CPU, it generally doesn't manifest itself in slowness; usually it just won't work.

If you're running Froyo, don't forget; it doesn't support CPU temperature monitoring correctly; so SetCPU profiles based on CPU temp might act funky. I doubt running it at 65c is going to damage it - and a damaged battery won't affect the CPU speed.
  4. kylo77

kylo77 New Member

Mine was running very slow the other day while driving into work...had it charging, listening to Pandora and the GPS going. I didn't check the temp (didn't have to) but i grabbed it and was very hot to touch....moved it in front of the A/C vent and a few minutes later it was back to full operation.

As stated above, I doubt you killed it, just slowed it down.
  5. psearchery15

psearchery15 New Member

I think the problem has to do with LaucherPro, which oddly enough was working just fine earlier. I was just using ADW and it didn't have the same problem LauncherPro is having, which is looping "Activity LauncherPro (in application LauncherPro) is not responding."

Gonna try uninstall it and reinstalling it then report back.

UPDATE: Its working okay now but hard to tell from only a few minutes of smooth scrolling. Is there any reason heat would cause a home replacement app to freak out? Doesn't seem to add up.

Another UPDATE: As soon as I add the Beautiful Home widget it starts getting force closes, I think that is where my problem lies.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  6. psearchery15

psearchery15 New Member

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was tethering at that temp for that length of time it was actually closer to an 1 1/2 hours.
Search tags for this page
cell phone touch screen not responding over heated
galaxy nexus heat unresponsive

over heated phone

overheated cell phone screen won't work
overheating touchscreen phones
phone overheat alert on arnoid
phone overheat and touchscreen not working
phone overheated and touch screen wont work
phone overheated now the touchscreen wont work
symptoms of an overheated phone
what would cause my android phone to become suddenly very sl