overheated droid

droid_girl

Reaction score
I noticed lately my droid is getting really hot after watching a short video or internet surfing. It usually gets hot after 10-20 minutes. Once it got so hot it froze my phone and I had to reboot...unsuccessful until my phone cooled off enough.

any suggestions? Is this a common problem? It gets hot above the battery area--between the battery compartment and top of phone. I tried changing batteries but it didn't help.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you rooted? Go through Manage Applications and check on the amounts of memory your apps are using...especially if you have Facebook and Twitter. They have been known to double and triple information which could cause this.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

kingpg

Reaction score
Ok first of all are you rooted?? and if you are what kernal / cpu settings are you running? seems to me your phone doesn't like the software setup you have, keep in mind every phone reacts differently to roms and kernals...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The 3G antenna generates a LOT of heat. If you're not rooted then keep the following things in mind -- to watch a Flash video your processor is running at 800MHz, 1/3 faster than it maxes out any other time, so that's a lot of juice flowing through the CPU. The 3G antenna generates a lot of heat because it's got such a strong draw, but WiFi is no slouch in the heat department either, especially if signal strength is a little weak. The battery is also generating a fair whack of heat as well.

That's a triple-shot of excess thermal energy hitting all at once. Web browsing is particularly hard on the antenna as it's sending and receiving data rapidly, and sending data will generate more heat than receiving... :)

turdbogls

Reaction score
the phone is shutting off for a reason. it obviously got to hot and didn't want to damage the processor/batter ect. but just check your settings, like sync settings and whatnot. i have done a lot of things on my phone at the same time (download a large file, while streaming pandora) and my phone has NEVER gotten over 115 degrees.

i would suggest getting the "system info" app in the marketplace. it is a widget that tells you some nice info (including temperature) so if you see it getting really HOT, just stop using the phone for a bit.

OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
thanks. I am NOT rooted. I am just a normal person who enjoys her droid. I noticed mild heating once when I was using the GPS of google maps after about 30 minutes it got warm...but it was never really HOT like it is now. I don't use WiFi. It only gets hot after watching a youtube video or surfing the net.

I've had this phone since May and it is now only acting up. I did drop it twice but it works fine...don't know if dropping it did something. I downloaded the following apps. Perhaps these apps are the cause:
Advance Task Manager
Barcode Scanner
Bubble [love it!]
BugMe!Lite [useless if you remove your battery, it erases all of your notes]
Earthquake [real cool]
folder organizer lite [haven't used it yet]
google sky map [cool]
jog tracker [use it to track where I have driven in case I forget where the store is located]
juice defender [problem started after installing this app]
livo recorder [highly recommended]
mini info [haven't used it yet]
moto torch led [use it to get into my front door at night, great flashlight]
movies
silent sleep
speed test [my processor is SLOW]
Traffic jam [great game]
traffic [great for avoiding traffic]
tunewiki
wave secure
weather bug
where's my droid [useless]
wifi analyzer

so in theory I do have a few apps working but this should not cause my phone to get really too hot to hold with my fingers.

any suggestions?

kingpg

Reaction score
Ok seems to be juice defender because that app is constantly running in the background checking settings and changing settings try uninstalling that and get back to us.

PS: If greater battery life is what your looking for you should try rooting and using setcpu which throttles your cpu so you can conserve battery life while your not using your phone and have excessive speed when you are using it, also has the ability to underclock for overheating situations like yours.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd toss Juice Defender and the task manager.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
ATM? Is that a task killer? If so, ditch it now.

Are you using the Weatherbug widget? If so that's pulling a lot.

Juice Defender shouldn't be overheating your Droid.

Your problem is Flash working your CPU hard coupled with the heat generated by streaming over 3G. That's my theory.

brando56894

Reaction score
I've had that happen to me once or twice but only at extremely high temperatures (about 170-180F).

The 3G antenna generates a LOT of heat.

The CPU generates the most heat not the antenna. The CPU is in constant use and that area that gets hot is where the CPU is. Ive never really heard of an antenna getting hot....

OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
I'll ditch the task killer but that means all of my apps are "on". it is the only way I know to turn everything off. How do you turn off all your apps when you are not using them?

I also turn off the task killer after using it so in theory it is always off. Every time I am done with an app I go to task killer and kill everything including I also have not upgraded it since this last upgrade is horrible.

The juice defender I am clueless how to use so i have it set to the bare minimum setting and kill it with ATM. Some guy during dinner showed me his droid and told me to install the juice defender but I never got around to setting it up. Juice defender is set to the following:
time out: do nothing
schedule: leave data enabled
night: do nothing
battery: keep data disabled while below 15%
traffic: leave data enabled while >50KB/15s
peak: do nothing
Apps: do nothing
Screen: leave data enabled while screen unlocked

so I really haven't programmed it. It does help my battery. Juice defender doesn't touch my apps. Should I still uninstall it?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
if I get rid of ATM [task killer] then how can I end these apps? I usually "end all" with ATM [haven't upgraded to useless version where one has to delete each one separately]. Also my juice defender is set to "do nothing" to most except for battery.

should I still delete them? How do you delete each app you used if you don't have a task killer?

OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
fur bear: thanks. I live next to an electrical transformer pole...no cell reception except if I am lucky 1-2 bars...also my cordless land line is lousy. that must be the reason. Still it is odd that my phone gets too hot to touch.