Overclocking

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Kdubbjr, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr New Member

Will overclocking my phone to 600mhz have any negative effects in the long run??
    Will it ware out my phone faster or something?
  2. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

Hey,

speaking of my experience on computers, overclocking is mostly a matter of cooling.
    Even if it comes to such a small computer as the droid.

I think there is no NEED to overclock, so why do it? The device runs smooth!

Tigger
  3. crdnilfan

crdnilfan New Member

posting in the thread about overclocking would be a good idea...

but since it was made yesterday, we have no idea about long term usage.

because the CPU was manufactured to run at 600MHz, all we're doing is removing the 550MHz limitation, so technically its not "overclocking" its running at stock.

thus it should not do any long term damage.
  4. Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr New Member

@rintintigger
    You make a good point I might go with you on that
    @crdnilfan
    Didn't want to post there cuz it was gonna be full of ppl asking for help on doing it.
    But you make a good point on the fact it was made to run at 600 but why wuld they put a limitation if there was no reason
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

They underclocked by 50mhz to save battery.
  6. Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr New Member

Are you positive?? Ill hold you responsible if my phone ****s upp but its all good I got a spare battey so ill consider when wifi works on it
  7. JhankG

JhankG New Member

It's the same processor that is in the iPhone and it wasn't underclocked. I believe that's also the case with the Palm Pre. If you're worried about messing up your phone, I wouldn't do it. You probably shouldn't root it either. If it does mess up something, I won't be sending you a new Droid!
  8. Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr New Member

I already rooted my droid and Ive done loads with it but thats only cuz I have complete faith in my tech skills but this processor thing is beyond my control but hell nah if the iphone can do tht **** the Droid for sure can. so ill do it.
  9. Amall

Amall New Member

There's definitely still the possibility for damage. Even though the processor is spec'd at 600 mhz, this phone was designed to run it at 550 mhz. When they design phones, they do have to worry about cooling, but they only worry about keeping it cool at the speed they intend to clock it at. So, at 600 mhz, the droid may not be able to cool it adequately, and thus it will tend to run hotter.

Now, I'm fairly certain that there's circuit-level protection that cuts the phone off it it hits a certain temperature, so you won't "fry" the processor, but you could definitely shorten the life of the processor.

Also, your battery life would suck, and I heard it's very glitchy, so I don't think it's worth it.

EDIT: Droid native-> 550 mhz
  10. Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr New Member

Ill wait a while to see what Ill do
  11. JhankG

JhankG New Member

The Droid runs at 550 mhz out of the box.

Set the profiles in SetCPU so that the processor is not going full speed when it is sleeping or charging and battery life shouldn't be an issue. I've had mine bumped up to 600mhz since lunch and haven't noticed it being glitchy at all (the opposite actually). No restarts or hang ups of any kind, but it's not been long enough to say for sure.
  12. thistle

thistle New Member

You might run into issues if you peg your droid at 600 all of the time. But if you're using setcpu with a min of 250 and a max of 600, you'll only be at 600 some of the time. The rest of the time your droid will be conserving battery and running cool at 125 or 250 while the stock handsets are buzzing away at a steady 550.
  13. Amall

Amall New Member

Then why didn't motorola enable such behavior natively? Seems pretty obvious to allow CPU speed scaling if their goal was to conserve battery...
  14. pinesal

pinesal New Member

Are you sure a stock DROID does't scale the CPU?
  15. hart.jordan

hart.jordan New Member

This is probably a total noon question but what do over and underclocking mean?
  16. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Using liquid cooling, I plan to overclock to 3.2ghz!

Crysis Mobile, here I come!
  17. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

First, it's important to know what clockspeed is. It is the speed of the computer processor.

To underclock is to lower the speed from factory settings. The Droid's processor is factory clocked at 600mhz, but it is underclocked to 550mhz to save battery (the faster the cpu is, the more power it needs).

To overclock is to raise the speed above factory settings. If you were to bring the Droid's cpu to 650mhz, you would be overclocking.
  18. GeneRs

GeneRs New Member

Are you SERIOUS !!!?. That's pretty ballsy if you ask me. YOU take a chance doing ANYTHING to your phone that is not stock. We all know that and this is the first time I've EVER seen someone threaten to hold another member responsible for their own decisions to make modifications to their phone. I don't know a lot about the Droid's OS ( Yet ) but I would never hold someone else responsible for my decisions to hack it. SHAME ON YOU! And, good luck getting any future advice or help from other members. Even if I was a Motorola certified professional, I wouldn't give you advice. I would encourage other members of this forum to not offer any to you either. Grow up. Take responsibility for your own decisions and actions! :icon_cussing:
  19. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Internet Thug.....:soapbox:
  20. zackplanet42

zackplanet42 New Member

i definitely remember reading a TI document that stated the estimated chip life of various systems on a chip, and the life was substantially reduced when dropping the omap 3430 from the stock 600Mhz to 550Mhz. suposedly this is why Motorola decided to drop the clock speed.
Search tags for this page

consequences of overclocking android

my phone doesn't hold overclocking