Overclocking

cron666

Reaction score
I didnt bother using the quickclock app because I already use JRummy's overclock app with its sweet widget dancedroid

Disclaimer: DO NOT set these values on boot if you are having random reboots during normal operation! I take no responsibility if your handset cannot handle these values. All processors are slightly different. This is a guide, not set in stone. I also don't have anything against quickclock, but I DO want ppl to have a choice with their overlocking.

So onto my mini-guide for overclocking the D2

Getting better battery life is dependent on many variables, there are only 3 that I will discuss here. CPU voltage, CPU frequency scaling, and Profiles.

The CPU can be UNDERVOLTED to make it consume less power for a given operation. This method is popular with the HTPC crowd who want make the CPU run cooler so they can run quieter fans in their boxes.

You may be familiar with CPU frequency scaling if you use linux on a laptop.
CPUs have the ability to switch between faster and slower clocks depending on usage.
many modern laptops can switch between 600MHz, 800MHz, 1.2GHz, 1.6GHz, 1.8 GHz and whatever their max is.
They usually have 4 or 5 slots like our handsets.

Profiles are what the CPU uses as a guide to what slots to use when certain events are taking place.
The governor also plays a part in this, but is more geared towards the CPU's usage, not yours. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

My current values:

Slot 1: 300MHz @ 18 volt (I think I can go lower, haven't had any reboots yet)
Slot 2: 500MHz @ 35 volt (I'm sure I can bring this down)
Slot 3: 800MHz @ 45 volt
Slot 4: 1.3GHz @ 65 volt (had it at 67 last week, stable with angry birds GF=:happy:)

These are definately not real voltage numbers, simply "voltage" values of the OS

My Profiles:

Code:
Priority   Type                max    min
100        Temp > 53*C         300    300     (cool processor down real fast)
73         Screen On          1300    300     (can go down to 300 when idle)
59         Battery < 20%       500    300     (slow it down to keep from dying on that last bit)
50         Charging/Full      1300    300
38         Screen Off          500    300     (you may use 300 max if you do not run radio streams)

The profile zip contains the db file you can import to JRummy's and you can use my profiles. Unzip before use.
The profiles are universal, can be used with any device that supports 300MHz minimum and 1300MHz max, if your max speed is lower than mine, adjust the maxes in the profile accordingly if the app doesn't do it for you. (it should)

The attached presets zip can be directly imported into JRummy's overclock app.
::REMEMBER:: DO NOT SET UNTESTED VALUES ON BOOT!!!!
::REMEMBER:: All processors are different, some may work after a break in period, and some will never work with values this low.

Last edited:

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Those frequincies look terrible... you should prbably try to make the slots smoother from transitions.. like 300, 450,550, 800, 1000, 1300. But idk how meany slots you can have on your phone or app..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
@OP
Do you use cron and are you evil? Lol!

On topic; Overclock settings will be different for different people due to hardware variance. Your settings could easily be perfect for you but subpar/unstable for someone else, that is why Quickclock is nice, because it figures out your optimal settings without manual testing.

Edit: I see your ::Remember:: thing now, sorry. :p

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
C

cron666

Reaction score
yea I kept going back and updating for the past 15 mins.

@jeffv2 the droid 2 still has a locked bootloader that checks the kernel, we cannot run custom kernels yet. im jelly tho :rolleyes:

yes I use crontab heavily, it rawx my sox

OP
C

cron666

Reaction score
wheres the fun in that?!
no playing with voltages and praying for stability?? :D

trook

Reaction score
You don't have to use the quickclock settings, you can override anything you want, you can use theirs for slot1 and make your own for the rest. I have both quickclock advanced as well as jrummys droid overclock, I use both depending on which way the wind is blowing......

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

gammaxgoblin

Reaction score
I agree in just using the quickclock app. It does all the "discovery" of finding the best values for your specific phone with your specific hardware. The quality of the internals varies from phone to phone, that's how they cut costs, otherwise you may add a hundred bucks to the price to get components that are consistant.

Soooo using somebody else vsel and clock settings is a poor idea...that is wha works best on their phone. Quickclock customizes your phone to its optimal settings but also gives you the freedom to tweak those settings to squeeze out a few percent more of speed or battery life.

Just use quickclock and get back to actually using your phone lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
C

cron666

Reaction score
how does quickclock find the optimal settings?
how does it monitor the stability of the phone?
you have my interest peaked.

trook

Reaction score
it runs stress tests at every clock speed at every voltage setting and determines the safest speed for your device with the lowest voltage setting should you choose it. every processor is a tiny bit different, yours might run great at 1401mhz well that would crash mine, mine likes to run at 1391 instead, quickclock detects it, then sets it.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
It doesnt run a stress test lol. It tests for like 10 seconds, by no means is that stressing the cpu.

If you want to find out how stable you will run at a certain speed/voltage you'll just have to set it and see what happens after a day or two

Goodlefeed

Reaction score
I never knew quickclock had this kind of capability!

I plan on digging into that and seeing if I can improve on my current profiles :)

trook

Reaction score
It doesnt run a stress test lol. It tests for like 10 seconds, by no means is that stressing the cpu.

If you want to find out how stable you will run at a certain speed/voltage you'll just have to set it and see what happens after a day or two
Mine tests for at least 3 minutes, watch it, it goes from 0 to 100 at every voltage checking for lags. I have the advanced version though.... 10 seconds, something is definately wrong with your quickclock. check the link. The link is from the developer of quickclock, and he talks about how it stresses until it crahses... Why are we arguing about this?? We all love overclocking, we all have our ways, I have quickclock and jrummys app, I export the quickclock settings into the jrummy app because jrummys app has the interactive, ondemand, and conservative governor settings built into it, quickclock does not, but i dont have time to enter in voltages and speeds and pray, hence.....Quickclock. I still love you guys, lets not fight anymore, for the kids.

http://www.droidtips.info/apps-and-...vanced-official-feedback-and-help-thread.html

Last edited:
OP
C

cron666

Reaction score
added my my profiles DB file in OP.
this file is universal.
anyone can use it
NOT the presets file.
presets file is there for instructional purposes only

gammaxgoblin

Reaction score
It uses a buffer for the vsels of 15%. It finds the minimum stable vsel for 300mhz and then creates a "buffer" by increasing the vsel by 15% from the base minimum vsel. It seems to use a predetermined algorithm for the 3 other clock speeds and voltage slots.

You can adjust the buffer percentage to anything you want. You can also adjust the maximum clock speed, but only up to whag the program has found to be stable. It seems to prefer setting the max clock speed aroun d 75mhz lower than the highest stable speed it finds.

It starts out at 1100mhz and runs a 10 second test and counts the number of "lags" out of 100 "operations." It will increase by increments of 1000mhz and test until it finds too many lags. Seems to be around 7 or more lags per 100 is the limit. When I hits the limit, it backs down by 50mhz, then increases by 10, etc.....until it finds the highest stable mhz. Then it sets the max mhz about 75mhz lower than the max.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App