Overclocking

Its TwiX

Reaction score
I got a question/problem about the kernels. I flashed the 1.5 and I can set my max speed to anything up to 1.5. I can use System Panel to watch the cpu moving to different speeds as it needs to.

Next I flashed the 1.8 kernel and the cpu says at 1.8 100% of the time. I am set to ondemand in setCpu, and I also tried other modes. It's like tha t1.8 kernel is locking me into 1.8.

I'm going to try the 1.9 and get back to everyone. My goal is to run at 1.401 but be able to crank it up to impress the ladies.

Update:
The 1.9 kernel works great.
Quadrant of 2842 @ 1.96ghz (performance mode)
Quadrant of 2312 @ 1.38ghz (ondemand mode)

That's a way to kill your battery (which won't impress the ladies).
That kernel is overvolted and will run hotter and use more battery.

Sidenote: It's pretty pointless to run a quadrant with ondemand. Quadrant doesn't always push the CPU enough to get the CPU freq ramped up in that governor. Thought I'd let you know.

Also the stock kernel is down due to WiFi issues. Unless it got fixed last night...
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

thelopenator

Reaction score
Hey every one. Does anyone know if theres custom kernels out for overclocking the thunderbolt without flashing a new rom? I just want to know if I could flash a kernel with the stock rom? If not, which custom rom would do this? Thank you all for your help I love you no homo ;)

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Hey every one. Does anyone know if theres custom kernels out for overclocking the thunderbolt without flashing a new rom? I just want to know if I could flash a kernel with the stock rom? If not, which custom rom would do this? Thank you all for your help I love you no homo ;)

You should search before starting a new thread as that answer isn't hard to find ;-)

You can use any of the sense kernels you find for the tb. I recommend you just download kernel manager from the market. It will allow you to browse, download, and install all the most popular kernels from within the app. Just make sure you DO A BACKUP FROM IN CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY BEFORE YOU FLASH ANYTHING.

I'd recommend you try lean kernel extreme or bamf 4.4.2. Both are in kernel manager and I know they both work with the stock Rom.

Happy flashing!!!

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

thelopenator

Reaction score
Yeah I know I should search and I.always do. but it was under my assumption that the twisted sense kernels needed to be with the rom no? So I guess my real question was that

Also im gonna need setcpu right

Also thank you for your help. I appreciate it

blackmusicbox215

Reaction score
So I recently got a Droid X after I got tired of my Droid 2 Global, and I have to say that this phone is a lot faster then the Global was, and this only has a 1 ghz processor. I wanted to know that if I overclock this Droid, if it'll be faster then it already is, or if its fine and leave it the way that it is? If I should overclock, what's a good app and what's a good speed? And yes, I do realize I have to root to overclock.

sTl2yk3l2

Reaction score
Quickclock advanced from the market. It figures out all the values for you automatically, max speed, min vsel. Then I use setcpu to switch goveners and set up profiles to tweek a little more. I get about 24 hours per charge with medium use, overclocked to 1100 and undervolted. Droid overclock is good to. You can export your set up from quickclock and import it and use it in droid overclock. Quickclock takes the guess work out of finding your phones stable settings.

Swyped from my liberatedGB.4 DX

icebluemale30

Reaction score
So I recently got a Droid X after I got tired of my Droid 2 Global, and I have to say that this phone is a lot faster then the Global was, and this only has a 1 ghz processor. I wanted to know that if I overclock this Droid, if it'll be faster then it already is, or if its fine and leave it the way that it is? If I should overclock, what's a good app and what's a good speed? And yes, I do realize I have to root to overclock.

this phone is already fast enough but if you must over clock try the new GB Leak first (stock) its fast enough for me if that not fast enough try the droid overclocker in the market by JRummy16 really good but try the Gingerbread Leak first.....

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I agree with ice blue...give GB a try. For me, it's much faster @ 1ghz than froyo @ 1.3ghz. I have gotten Quad scores up in the 1900s on GB @ 1ghz while I could only muster mid 1700s on froyo @ 1.3ghz. I've almost hit 2400 on GB @ 1.3ghz, but didn't notice much difference while using the phone, so the extra heat generated wasn't worth it to me.

mooka89

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here. I'm using the liberty software on my Droid X. I have the terminal emulator app, and I'm kindof looking for a solid overclock, my phone isn't necessarily slow but I have noticed it getting a little warm. Will running lower voltage help that? If so what's reccomended to run quickly and cool? Thanks for any suggestions and tips. (I'm kindof a newbie at this)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Get Droid Overclock.
You can go to almost any speed you want thats stable.
(usually between 450 mhz and 1.4 ghz)

If you underclock, the battery won't get as warm, and your speed will decrease.
If you overclock, the battery will get warmer, but your speed will increase.

I have gone 48+ hours of battery life when underclocked to the minimum, so thats good if you like battery life.
And I have gotten 2700+ benchmark scores when overclocked to the maximum, so thats good if you have a need for speed.

mooka89

Reaction score
Thanks alot, ill try messing with it and coming up with a solid combination

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ksalce

Reaction score
Hi I just recently purchased the Droid incredible 2 and previously had the Droid 2. My question is how do I go about overclocking on this phone? I'm currently rooted and running the latest miui rom? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

Rhayader

Reaction score
It's pretty easy -- first you need to flash a new kernel that allows overclocking and works with your ROM. I installed the Tiamat kernel on my Inc2 running CM7, but I believe MIUI is also an AOSP-based ROM that is compatible with Tiamat. Check out this RootzWiki thread.

Once your kernel is installed, you'll need an app that can control overclocking -- most people, including myself, go with SetCPU. That will allow you to set max/min clock frequencies, and also set up rules based on different scenarios (screen off, battery low, temperature high, etc). Pretty sweet.

ksalce

Reaction score
OK I just checked out the site and I downloaded the latest kernel for the dinc 2. I'm currently on miui right now so I should be good and just flash it in clockwork?

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

Rhayader

Reaction score
Well, as always it's a really good idea to make a nandroid backup before doing anything. I also like to take my time, read through the RootzWiki thread, and see if there are any snags other people hit or whatever. But yeah, in general it's pretty painless, you should be good to run with it.