Overclocking

aurelius88

Reaction score
I don't know what performance I'll see yet, but I know I was seeing 15 hours of HEAVY usage and 30+ hours of moderate usage with RubiX 1.9.5 on these settings:

300/18
600/33
800/42
1000/53

I call this "SULV" for "super ultra low voltage" :)

The 1 GHz setting isn't too terribly low, but the phone sits at the lowest setting, or 300 MHz in this case more often than any other, so having 18 vsel at 300 MHz should equate to great battery life.

Inkarnit im running these voltages but my battery life is roughly only about 6 hours on regular use, rooted and running liberty on my dx. I also have droid overclock from jrummy, what do yo think is the issue?

Last edited:

teh_g

Reaction score
I don't know what performance I'll see yet, but I know I was seeing 15 hours of HEAVY usage and 30+ hours of moderate usage with RubiX 1.9.5 on these settings:

300/18
600/33
800/42
1000/53

The 1 GHz setting isn't too terribly low, but the phone sits at the lowest setting, or 300 MHz in this case more often than any other, so having 18 vsel at 300 MHz should equate to great battery life.

Inkarnit im running these voltages but my battery life is roughly only about 6 hours on regular use, rooted and running liberty on my dx. I also have droid overclock from jrummy, what do yo think is the issue?

I can tell you that these settings are getting me incredible battery life. I am at 24 hours with 50% battery life. 9 hours are sleeping, and the rest is just listening to music and some moderate texting.

Ad0131065

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I checked mine last night im undervolted and was at 50% after 16 hrs of moderate to heavy usage. lots of txt, web, apps, email, calls....

300/19
500/30
800/40
1000/49

aurelius88

Reaction score

300/18
600/33
800/42
1000/53

I can tell you that these settings are getting me incredible battery life. I am at 24 hours with 50% battery life. 9 hours are sleeping, and the rest is just listening to music and some moderate texting.

I find it extremely strange, especially considering how my voltages are set exactly to these settings: 300/18 600/33 800/42 1000/53

I dont run any apps typically, and i dont do any heavy web browsing or play games. My 3G bar is typically very full as well. It's been 2 hours since being unplugged and its already at around 90-85%

I actually did a complete reinstall since i initially installed liberty over gummyjar, expecting that maybe in doing so I would increase my battery life. So far, it's been the same result.

Is it possible that making phone calls throughout the day is draining me out? I might put in 3-4 hrs TOPS on just being on the phone. I guess that must be more taxing on my battery than actually doing anything else. However, i feel like im getting the same results as when i was running blur.

Last edited:

dmichelr

Reaction score

I find it extremely strange, especially considering how my voltages are set exactly to these settings: 300/18 600/33 800/42 1000/53

I dont run any apps typically, and i dont do any heavy web browsing or play games. My 3G bar is typically very full as well. It's been 2 hours since being unplugged and its already at around 90-85%

I actually did a complete reinstall since i initially installed liberty over gummyjar, expecting that maybe in doing so I would increase my battery life. So far, it's been the same result.

Is it possible that making phone calls throughout the day is draining me out? I might put in 3-4 hrs TOPS on just being on the phone. I guess that must be more taxing on my battery than actually doing anything else. However, i feel like im getting the same results as when i was running blur.

yes, voice calls use a lot of battery.....just look at your battery usage stats, 20 minutes on a call will quickly make voice calls your top drain.

Inkarnit

Reaction score

yes, voice calls use a lot of battery.....just look at your battery usage stats, 20 minutes on a call will quickly make voice calls your top drain.

To reiterate, making phone calls is definitely a HUGE drain. Being at 90% after 2 hours is excellent. I wouldn't have any complaints there. Showing 90% means it is somewhere between 86 and 95% actual. If you are spending 3-4 hours on the phone every day, you will definitely only be getting 6-10 hours total battery. Most people have 450 or 900 minute PER MONTH plans. Even a 1500 minute plan would be less than an hour on the phone each day. I think you are using yours 3-4 times the typical user and therefore should see 3-4 times less battery life. Talking on the phone will drain the same amount of battery as with Blur because it is using the same radio. All these tweaks with voltages and whatnot only matter for regular operation really, things that utilize the cpu. If you are using the phone that much, I'd recommend having a charger in the car, at work, and at home. You're going to need it on any device. The Droid X is advertised with 8 hours talk time. This means you are using half the battery each day just from talking, giving you only half your battery for everything else.

aurelius88

Reaction score

To reiterate, making phone calls is definitely a HUGE drain. Being at 90% after 2 hours is excellent. I wouldn't have any complaints there. Showing 90% means it is somewhere between 86 and 95% actual. If you are spending 3-4 hours on the phone every day, you will definitely only be getting 6-10 hours total battery. Most people have 450 or 900 minute PER MONTH plans. Even a 1500 minute plan would be less than an hour on the phone each day. I think you are using yours 3-4 times the typical user and therefore should see 3-4 times less battery life. Talking on the phone will drain the same amount of battery as with Blur because it is using the same radio. All these tweaks with voltages and whatnot only matter for regular operation really, things that utilize the cpu. If you are using the phone that much, I'd recommend having a charger in the car, at work, and at home. You're going to need it on any device. The Droid X is advertised with 8 hours talk time. This means you are using half the battery each day just from talking, giving you only half your battery for everything else.

ahh yeah the radio part makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your input, I figured that was probably the biggest drain on my battery life :/ very informative, you guys here at droidforums are quick responders! thank you!

twalbaum

Reaction score
I've been doing some overclocking to see what does well. To do this, I'll set my frequencies and voltages and then use SetCPU to lock it at each frequency/voltage and then run a stress test. While stress testing, I'll browse around, too, just to really push it. Everyone says if it's unstable, their phones reboot. Mine doesn't, it just freezes. In fact, on stock and on Apex, I never rebooted when overclocking, I just froze. Your thoughts?

EDIT: I was using CPU Bench or something like that (can't check cause I'm in the middle of a SetCPU stress test) for all the tests when it crashed. I'm going to try SetCPU and see if I still suffer from crashes. It might be the other stress testing app that makes me freeze. I'll update later.

Last edited: