Overclocking w/o a Rom?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by appdaddy, Mar 23, 2010.

1. appdaddy

appdaddy New Member

Can you Overclock a Droid w/o a custom rom installed?
  2. jacobrv

jacobrv New Member

Sure, custom roms are just conglomerations of many small modifications. Now I'm not sure the best way to go about this as I myself do not have any rom-making experience, but I would assume you could just install an update.zip that is just an overclocked kernel for 2.0.1. They exist, you just have to search around. Look for a custom rom thread that defaults to standard clock then gives you options of other kernels. And make sure you do a nandroid backup before you install anything. Then of course buy SetCPU off the market and use auto-detect so it can find all available speeds.
  3. appdaddy

appdaddy New Member

Oh ok, Thanks. I'll check it out.
  4. appdaddy

appdaddy New Member

Running droid mod. And overclocking, and the battery is at a cool 76 degrees at 800 maximum 600 minimum
  5. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Are you overclocking the stock phone by rooting and just overclocking or did you swap out the kernel and/or install a new rom?
  6. appdaddy

appdaddy New Member

Well i was running droidmod but then my google maps kept force closing so i was wondering if i could overclock without using a custom rom. I'm back on droidmod now and overclocking and its simply silky smooth. .. minus the fc on googlemaps... are those links for ovrclckn a rooted phone w/o a custom rom? If so, which one is the best? And which one is the easiest? Lol. Thanks in advance. :D
  7. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

I found it very easy to follow link 2 in my sig. You are rooted now and you have sprecovery installed. I have not heard of anyone overclocking the stock kernel on the phone and I think most people tend to install a rom with extra goodies that come along with a kernel that can be overclocked. Link 2 let me choose which kernel I wanted (I chose the one that let me OC to 1.1ghz).

I'm also going to ask a mod to shift this thread to the Rescue Squad section as this section should be for FAQ's rather than questions.
Search tags for this page

new htc dna oc custom rom

overclocking a rom