Overclocking versus Kernal Slot Sizes, Need an Intellect !

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by heymikewalker, Jun 10, 2010.

1. heymikewalker

heymikewalker New Member

Okay so I'm new to this. I just got my froyo up and running (YAY) and I'm having difficulty.

My phone is running at ~30 degrees idle but atleast 45 when I'm on wifi just looking at dolphin browser.

I don't know if that is bad but thats hot in my palm aka annoying.

Anyways heres my questions
    Whats the difference between the 250 mhz and the 125 mhz models?

I thought that the higher the better and I hear about people running at 1.0 ghz, but now I understand it might be overclocked to that degree not just set there.

I got the
    "1000 = 250/500/600/700/800/900/1000"

Is this causing it to run hot?
    Should I go lower and over clock or is that the same?

What do the increasing numbers mean, I mean I figure theres are a max and a min involved but why are there 7 different digits?

I think some one should have a mhz and ghz FAQ section cause I am uninformed...
  2. gavron

gavron New Member

Mine runs between 28°C and 45°C depending. Either way it's well within tolerance. A 50% difference between idle and active is much less than what happens on your home PC or laptop :)

I use an Innocase from Seideo to protect my droid from falls. It also spreads the heat out more evenly and it is comfortable to hold

The lowest frequency is the lowest underclock speed available. If you're using SetCPU and have the screen-off profile set to 125MHz it will save a tiny bit more power than 250MHz.

Yes, you ARE running the processor at half speed... but there are certain background services that are always running. Running at half speed means they run twice as long.

The only reason to overclock is if your phone is not responsive or "snappy" enough. It still needs to do the same "work". If the processor is running faster, it will do that work more quickly.

The only thing which would make it run "hot" (which I don't think yours is) is overclocking. If you set it at 800MHz or less you're not really overclocking any significant amount.

If you put it at 500MHz or 600MHz you're close to factory default (550MHz). Going lower won't save you much.

Everybody's phone is different. Not all phones can handle the higher speeds. The kernel has a limited number of speed options ("slots"). The developers try to give various options so YOU can try ALL the speeds with YOUR device.

This may take several kernels and lots of tries with different speeds.
    REMEMBER: If your phone locks up, pull the battery... and WAIT for it to cool a bit because just rebooting it right up with the overclocked overheated CPU will cause it to not boot properly or lock up again.

Seriously? Let me google that for you

Ehud
  3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

For MHz and GHz? It's a simple conversion.

I'm guessing you meant for overclocking?
  4. gavron

gavron New Member

5. heymikewalker

heymikewalker New Member

Oh I didn't mean the conversion btw, I meant like what the speeds mean I just didnt know what to refer to it as, it was late, I should have said droid processing speeds.

Thanks a ton now I get it! So should I over clock to 800? My phone could be a little more responsive,