Overclocking Stock 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kevin1016, Aug 9, 2010.

1. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

I browsed around a bit and didn't see an answer. I'm sure it's been asked a million times though. Can the stock 2.2 with root access be overclocked? Or is a custom kernel required?
  2. bigrigdriver

bigrigdriver New Member

Try chevy's kernels, he makes the OC ones.
  3. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

I thought I read that stock 2.2 with root could overclock to 800. Is that true?
  4. droidman101

droidman101 New Member

if youre rooted, any droid(1) can go up to 800+. some can go up to 1400 even. You just need a kernel and an app (like setcpu or overclock widget) to overclock it that high :p
  5. hobojoe196061

hobojoe196061 New Member

i rooted using easy root, and was able to overclock to 800 without installing a different kernel...not to go too far off topic, but how would i go about installing a new kernel? and do i have to wipe my data when i do it?
  6. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

No wipe needed. Just download a FroYo kernel (Chevy, Benita, and p3droid are the most popular), and ally it like you did your rom. I use SPRecovery, so I rename the file to update.zip, boot into recovery, install the update, and I'm good to go. Just remember to back up before you flash a kernel incase you get a boot loop.
  7. hobojoe196061

hobojoe196061 New Member

i didnt install any ROMs, i just rooted with easy root, thats it...i know that if i wanted to use Rom Manager, i would need to flash the clockwork...i just dont want to wipe and lose a bunch of settings and tweaks
  8. dandaman11223344

dandaman11223344 New Member

All you have to do is download a kernel and install it through recovery mode. I can give more specific instructions if you need. You don't need to wipe data/cache

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  9. jacobrv

jacobrv New Member

First, unless you got 2.2 pushed over the air from verizon, then you installed a rom. Hell, even the OTA is technically installing a rom. But that's not the point.

Installing a custom kernel does not require a special rom and it does not require wiping anything. It does require a custom recovery menu though. So download Rom Manager, install ClockworkRecovery, download a kernel and copy it to your SD card, and install through Rom Manager. Also, ClockworkRecovery (and also SPREcovery) have Nandroid built in which allows you to do FULL system backups so if anything goes wrong you can restore it. Just always do a backup before you install a rom, kernel, or theme and you will have a very very slim chance of breaking your phone.
Search tags for this page

overclock android 2.2