Overclocking/SetCPU/TempMonitor/Heat Conventions on BB1.0

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by joshdub223, May 13, 2010.

1. joshdub223

joshdub223 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    haha. sounds good pete. so far you're right, your rom is wonderful. cant wait to see the next version.

2. superglen99

superglen99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just removed set cpu and temp monitor. lets see if i notice a difference.

3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just for the record, and only on my phone, history has proven to me that while the spec sheets for the processor may rate some ungodly amount, at around 130F my phone will start shutting itself down. It did this back in the early oc/Setcpu days, and I confirmed it on one of the early Pete Approved kernels in the original v1 thread. I am using the "revised" 1200 with no heat issues. If the phone is rated for just short of boiling water, and I know it will shut down itself long before that point, what is the risk?

I still use setcpu for the scaling, as I often find myself in some pretty remote locations where I can still use phone features other than phone and web, and I like being able to push the battery life. Otherwise I would be done with setcpu and temp monitoring, knowing that my phone will start fc'ing and shutting down way before any sheet spec maximums. As I have posted in other Setcpu/heat threads, if you still have Setcpu installed, try some different kernels and run the Setcpu extended bench test. This should confirm some things for you.

Craig

4. grandenigma1

grandenigma1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a script I need to run to enable this or is it set by default?

5. dbz443

dbz443 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bbv1 automatically scales the procesor based on the load of the apps running. That was the point of himdoing away with need for setcpu. Running it along with setcpu is redundant . If you have a temp monitor you can see for yourself when the procesor is getting to hot and you can give it a break making the failsafe profile not needed.

6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    DBZ,

Yes I do understand what BBV1 does internally. Perhaps I was a little confusing by mentioning speed and temperature in the same post, but the scaling I was refering to is dropping the max speed to a lower level to push the battery life a bit. When I am using my mapping program in remote locations, I do not need 1.2G on the top end for maps and gps to work. By manually reducing to 550 top end, it makes sense to me that the lower speed should theoretically equate to less battery drain.

Reflashing a lower speed kernel would be silly, and while I could probably run a script to throttle the high end back, a couple of clicks on setcpu handles it. And has been mentioned, if you do not have setcpu run profiles at boot, and do not run the widget, it simply sits on the phone much like other aps that do zero until activated.

Craig

Search tags for this page
arm926ej overclock

arm926ej-s overclock

arm926 overclock
overclock arm926
overclock arm9 android
overclocking arm926ej-s nas
setcpu overclock s4
via arm926 overclock