Overclocking/SetCPU/TempMonitor/Heat Conventions on BB1.0

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by joshdub223, May 13, 2010.

1. joshdub223

joshdub223 New Member

This post isn't intended to be a plea for help or anything, more like a discussion.

I used to run Adamz until he vanished, now I'm on SS and honestly I find it slow and it seems to crash a lot. I've been reading up on BB1.0 and I'm convinced to switch ASAP.

Although, the whole no SetCPU thing is pretty foreign to me.

When running 1.0ghz kernals my droid tends to feel very hot when on A/C.
    I used to get a little paranoid when I see CPU temps passing 50 C.

BUT I just read this from the BB FAQ:
    according to this, the official specs on the droid's ARM cortex a8 processor, the operating temperature is 0c to 90c (standard applications), and -40c to 105c (extreme applications). Either way the minimum max temp is 90C (194F). (thanks, mr. blippy!)

I've never seen my processor even approach 90c. So, Im planning on running BB with no setCPU AND no tempmonitor to free up the RAM. seems like I dont even need to concern myself with temp if the device can handle 90C.

opinions?
  2. Krish

Krish New Member

Have you tried the low voltage kernel? My droid runs around 50c at times on bekit kernel during hot days but usually its around 20 - 30c and i'v not had any problems on BB V1.0 Kernel bekit 1.0ghz Low voltage, but that's just my droid. Setcpu works on BB aswell as tempmonitor. Not sure what you mean by no Setcpu thing.
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. yusky03

yusky03 New Member

I am wondering if you can compare a mobile chipset operating temps to a laptops operating temps because before I undervolted my laptop it would easily get close to 70C.
  4. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

I've been running 1ghz for 2 days without setcpu and taskiller. Never seen it go much further than 40c with heavy usage. I'm very happy with performance and battery life.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx New Member

Ditto. Been running BB v1.0 800mhz with no setcpu, task killers or temp monitor. Just letting the Pete file do what it does.

Absolutely glitch free. Fast. No overheating.

Do yourself a favor. Put your trust in Pete and his ROM. It is head and shoulders above many others that are out there.
  6. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

The rom will work perfect without setCPU. It also works perfect with setCPU. I know that the chip can support ridiculously high temps, but that being said I don't like seeing it approach the 120s or higher. So I use setCPU with profiles. It idles at 65-70, and doesn't get higher than 105 even after heavy use. setCPU doesn't work against Pete, it works with him
  7. loonie01

loonie01 Member

I've also am running BB 1.0 without setcpu and a task killer. I keep my eye on the temp. With heavy game use it will only go up to 105 degrees. Oh yeah, it's clocked at 800.
  8. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Run it as is brother and you will never go back, I promise. Don't worry about the heat, if it melts I'll ship you my Droid.
  9. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Pete has spoken and I agree
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Even without SetCPU, your droid will still do frequency scaling down to a minimum of 250Mhz (when using /system/xbin/pete). Unless you have a runaway process or are playing a very CPU-intensive game, the CPU will scale down to a lower speed at times and be able to stay cool.
  11. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Yeah the built in scaling works wonderfully, but I think people want to use setCPU for profiles, and nothing else. I know my concern is temps. Its great that the cpu can handle temps of like 198 degrees, but honestly there is no need for the cpu to be running that hot. There is no need for it be running more than 120 (and even that is overkill). So setCPU takes care of that (at least for me) by scaling down with high temps. When I was using the pete file, I definitely had cool temps, but I also had high temps in the 120s and 130s. With setcpu I have cooler temps and it hasn't gone past 105 for me yet. Whereas before it would reach the 120s and 130s. Simply no reason for that to happen, and that's why people use setCPU i think.

and of course it depends on each individual phone. but i'm happy idling at 65 and not going above 105, and I've only achieved that with setCPU
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  12. g0bez

g0bez New Member

I am an honest-to-god convert. Pete -- if you lived near me I'd take you out and get you drunk. This ROM has given me a phone back.... i get 16 - 20 hours of life and NORMAL usage on a single charge. Finally, I don't have to try hard to get the phone to last until lunch.

My post *is* relevant to this thread though:

Now that I've done away with SetCPU, what is the best way to monitor CPU speed and temps? Has anyone found a low-profile widget that gives accurate monitoring?

I am a big fan of open-source (read: free) but am definitely willing to shell out a few bucks for some well-written software.
  13. joshdub223

joshdub223 New Member

haha. sounds good pete. so far you're right, your rom is wonderful. cant wait to see the next version.
  14. superglen99

superglen99 New Member

Just removed set cpu and temp monitor. lets see if i notice a difference.
  15. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Just for the record, and only on my phone, history has proven to me that while the spec sheets for the processor may rate some ungodly amount, at around 130F my phone will start shutting itself down. It did this back in the early oc/Setcpu days, and I confirmed it on one of the early Pete Approved kernels in the original v1 thread. I am using the "revised" 1200 with no heat issues. If the phone is rated for just short of boiling water, and I know it will shut down itself long before that point, what is the risk?

I still use setcpu for the scaling, as I often find myself in some pretty remote locations where I can still use phone features other than phone and web, and I like being able to push the battery life. Otherwise I would be done with setcpu and temp monitoring, knowing that my phone will start fc'ing and shutting down way before any sheet spec maximums. As I have posted in other Setcpu/heat threads, if you still have Setcpu installed, try some different kernels and run the Setcpu extended bench test. This should confirm some things for you.

Craig
  16. grandenigma1

grandenigma1 New Member

Is there a script I need to run to enable this or is it set by default?
  17. dbz443

dbz443 New Member

Bbv1 automatically scales the procesor based on the load of the apps running. That was the point of himdoing away with need for setcpu. Running it along with setcpu is redundant . If you have a temp monitor you can see for yourself when the procesor is getting to hot and you can give it a break making the failsafe profile not needed.
  18. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

DBZ,

Yes I do understand what BBV1 does internally. Perhaps I was a little confusing by mentioning speed and temperature in the same post, but the scaling I was refering to is dropping the max speed to a lower level to push the battery life a bit. When I am using my mapping program in remote locations, I do not need 1.2G on the top end for maps and gps to work. By manually reducing to 550 top end, it makes sense to me that the lower speed should theoretically equate to less battery drain.

Reflashing a lower speed kernel would be silly, and while I could probably run a script to throttle the high end back, a couple of clicks on setcpu handles it. And has been mentioned, if you do not have setcpu run profiles at boot, and do not run the widget, it simply sits on the phone much like other aps that do zero until activated.

Craig
Search tags for this page

arm926 overclock

arm926ej overclock

arm926ej-s overclock

overclock arm9 android

overclock arm926

overclocking arm926ej-s nas
setcpu overclock s4
via arm926 overclock