1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Overclocking Requirements

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bdholsin, May 8, 2010.

1. bdholsin

bdholsin New Member

New Droid owner and very pleased. I've been doing a LOT of reading here on the forum and have gleaned a great deal of excellent information. So far I've managed to:
    1. Make a backup using RSD Lite.
    2. Root access (very apprehensively but yet successfully).
    3. Attempted to overclock (then realized I needed a kernel).
    4. Returned to stock.

Since returning to stock I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what ROM and kernel to get.

My question is: Does a kernel come with a ROM? I'm just a bit fuzzy on this. I'm leaning toward Bugless' ROM but can't quite make the jump. I'm ultimately looking to overclock to 900 or 1000 Mhz and possibly remove a number of stock features that I simply don't use (like Corporate Calendar and Corporate E-mail). With that being said I was thinking of Cyanogen mod but like I said I'm not 100% certain what I need.

Anyone want to chime in and give me a better understanding of what I'd need after rooting?

Yeah, I've used the search feature but haven't been able to get a definitive answer to my question.

Thanks.
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Most ROMs will require a separate kernel. I'm running BB and Bekit with no problems.

If I were in your position, I'd start with ROM Manager and Cyanogen, just to see what the process is, and branch out from there.
  3. bdholsin

bdholsin New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Any chance you could give me a link for each (rather than me fumble around wondering if I'm heading in the right direction)?
  4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I dont have links for the former, but ROM Manager is in the market as just that. CyanogenMod.com is the home of Koush.
  5. soccer568

soccer568 New Member

Im in the same boat as you and i rooted my phone and am now running cynanogen mod from rom manager.Once you install the rom you can download different kernels to overlcock your droid. Im am just running the stock kernel so i havent overlcocked yet?
  6. stetson1818

stetson1818 New Member

once you get all that straight you will need an app called Setcpu to do the overclocking. its in the market for 2 bucks, used to be 99 cent
  7. bdholsin

bdholsin New Member

Thanks for the great help guys. I'm now rooted, installed ROM manager and am currently downloading Cyanogen's ROM.

The only question I have remaining is which voltage/slot combination I am looking for under the kernel selection...or will Set CPU take care of that?
  8. LtKen

LtKen New Member

SetCPU will only control the clock speed. You need a kernel to enable overclocking so SetCPU can do it's job.
  9. bdholsin

bdholsin New Member

Ok, that makes sense. The kernel allows for the overclocking but Set CPU will do the overclocking.

So now I'm just researching on what voltage/slot configuration to use.

Thank you all for the most excellent help.
  10. bdholsin

bdholsin New Member

Wow, imagine that, "search" works. I actually managed to find the answer I was looking for. Just in case any other "hacking noobs" are following this thread you can go here for the slot/voltage answer I was researching.
  11. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Actually, doing a Google search thru this forum usually works really well too.
  12. luv2increase

luv2increase New Member

Actually, I just installed BB earlier with the 1Ghz kernel, and it is automatically OC'ed to 1Ghz without using SetCPU! I'm not going to use that again until it is updated to 1.53.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  13. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Yes, but BB is the only ROM that does this right now, all others require SetCPU.
  14. bdholsin

bdholsin New Member

Ok, I've had 100% success. I'm rooted, ROM and kernel running and stable. However, I exercised a great deal of poor judgment and foresight...I think. In my excitement to update the ROM and kernel I neglected to save my original stock ROM to my PC. If I ever have to revert I think I'm going to be hosed. Am I right or am I not "getting" it with regard to reverting to stock if I ever need to?
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  15. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

You can always flash back to stock with the sbf file and RSD lite. IIRC, ROM manager makes a file to return to stock automatically. Im not sure, I use SPRecovery. I hear ROM manager is good, but after the kindergarten drama happened a while ago, I would rather not support that developer. Just my $0.02.
  16. bdholsin

bdholsin New Member

That's good news. I have RSD Lite.
  17. bdholsin

bdholsin New Member

Guess I'm not familiar with the kindergarten drama. Just got my Droid a couple weeks ago and I'm still coming up to speed on a number of things.
  18. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

Its nothing to be rehashed again, but several good members left and many more dont frequent the board as much as we used to.
    Rule of thumb, find a way that works for you, and stick to it. I was here when SPRecovery came out, its what I learned to use, and it what I stick with.
Search tags for this page

overclocking requirements