Overclocking incredible

mundson

Reaction score
Finally have my incredible rooted and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best kernel to use to OC my processor and where to download it. Thanks.

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
supposedly setcpu works without a custom kernel, it has a built in perflock disabler and once you do that it allows to to change cpu speeds, but it still does not go above 998mhz so you cant overclock. i havent installed a custom kernel yet, but i've been researching them and it seems the best right now is hydra kernel OC UV 1.15ghz #5, but last i checked their website was down so i dont know where you can get it now

Reaction score
Finally have my incredible rooted and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best kernel to use to OC my processor and where to download it. Thanks.

IF your a dev I suggest writing your own kernel, because you can change everything to YOU.

Posted via DROID™

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
supposedly setcpu works without a custom kernel, it has a built in perflock disabler and once you do that it allows to to change cpu speeds, but it still does not go above 998mhz so you cant overclock. i havent installed a custom kernel yet, but i've been researching them and it seems the best right now is hydra kernel OC UV 1.15ghz #5, but last i checked their website was down so i dont know where you can get it now

ejhart's site is working for me.

Hydra Kernels

lwl209

Reaction score
His site is back up. http://hydrakernel.cz.cc/

I am not using any custom ROM, and I have tested all 3 of the hydra kernels n-enabled (download links 1, 3, and 5). Kernel #1 kept getting suck on the boot animation after I installed it, and kernel #3 froze up a lot.

I'm currently using hydra_ov2_n_v07 (the 5th link) and its pretty sweet. My wifi link speed is at 65 Mbps on wifi-n and my phone is feeling snappy. The kernel seems very stable, my battery temperature is fine, and my performance benchmarks show a modest improvement. To me, this seems the best one for day-to-day use.

Last edited:

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
so the no wireless N one is only necessary if you plan to link to devices that do not have wireless n? i want to link to my older macbook pro and it does not have a wireless n card, does this mean i should get the one without wireless n if i still want to be able to tether to my laptop?

lwl209

Reaction score
yeah, you'll want wireless n (it will give you a faster internet connection). I can't really comment to much as to the 1.13 vs 1.15 question.

I would just download both 1.13/1.15 and see what works best for you. If 1.15 is stable for you, go with that

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
if i get wireless n, will i still be able to tether to devices without a wireless n card?

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
oh and btw, why is the motorola droid able to overclock to nearly double the stock speed, but we can only overclock like 0.1ghz? in a way, they can overclock their cpu by 100%(double), but we can only overclock by 10%. is it because they're on froyo?

Weapondrift

Reaction score
while were on the topic of overcloking (and not to over bump the thread here) I purchased Set CPU instead of running an actual kernal. I chose automatic setting for the overclock and it says the max im allowed is 998MHz max with 245 minimum. My question is i guess where can I find out about proper overclocking for this and the proper way to handle it without just choosing random speeds.

kennydied23

Reaction score
oh and btw, why is the motorola droid able to overclock to nearly double the stock speed, but we can only overclock like 0.1ghz? in a way, they can overclock their cpu by 100%(double), but we can only overclock by 10%. is it because they're on froyo?

Very simply put, it has to do with the capabilities of the phone cpu. Qualcomm made the 1ghz snadragon processor in the incredible, and Texas Instruments (TI) made the 550mhz omap processor in the droid. But the omap processors were set to perform less than their optimal performance. Most droid processors can reach 1ghz, hell, few can rise to an outstanding 1.4ghz (that's right dancedroid) because the quality that TI put into these is, in itself, outstanding. Qualcomm probably made the cpu to be stable at 1ghz, and not any higher.

Last edited:

kamaqazi

Reaction score
Recently rooted my incredible and now i am runiing hydra kernal #1

It seems to be working good.
But anyone know of anything faster?