Overclocking FAQ?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Laurence5905, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking into perhaps overclocking my Droid, but I can find no single source of information on the subject.

Perhaps an Overclocking FAQ would be helpful here? Couldn't find one...

My first question -- can you overclock without rooting your phone? I just don't want the hassles of a rooted phone, but I do want my Droid to run faster.

Thanks,

2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed - The Overclocking FAQ is hard to find. Because I knew what the thread was titled, I was able to search for it. Here's a link:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

Answer: No. Root is required to overclock, because you need to replace your kernel.

3. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    LOL

I added FAQ to the search keywords, in case this situation happens again.

4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ironically, I don't think your thread actually answers the question of "do I need root?".

... but it does go into more depth on overclocking than I think most non-EE people will ever need :p

5. Phoenixwind

Phoenixwind New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wrong: Root is required to overclock to add the overclock script, you do not have to replace the kernel, everything is done via a module.

6. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    That is correct, I try to let the Rescue Squad deal with the technical side of rooting and kernel replacing. If ever do find a good FAQ on both Rooting and Kernel replacing I will probably add links to my first posts.

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Err, I think I had it right the first time. The stock kernel doesn't have additional frequency scaling steps, so there's nothing to overclock to. Also, no script is needed - but you need also root access to tweak the necessary entries in the /sys virtual filesystem.

8. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

Well now, if we are going to get technical, you don't need root at all.

cvpcs' Sapphire ROM allows you to setup overclocking as part of the OS at boot.

Replacing the kernel only requires the ability to install a properly formatted update.zip. Which for the Motorola Droids means you only need SPR or CWM recovery to be installed.

But that is only if we are going to be technical about it :)

9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Christ, now we're back at the "what does root mean?" debate. This comes up ALL THE TIME. Installing SPR or CW *IS* giving you root access. In the sense of allowing you to modify system files (or recovery/boot partitions) that you would not normally have access to. Just because there is no su binary or # prompt doesn't mean that administrator access wasn't required to get to that point.

When somebody asks "is rooting required?" they want to know if they need to go through the process of rooting their phone. They don't want to know if there is a literal # prompt.

The long and short of it is that you need SOME form of root access AND you need to change out your kernel in order to overclock. If you don't consider overriding the phones recovery bootloader in order to install software that wouldn't normally be allowed in places that only the root user has write permissions for root.....I can't help you understand it :p

10. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    :) <-- Notice that was at the end of my sentence and post. There was a reason for that. To help avoid the very post you ended up doing.

11. BAoxymoron

BAoxymoron New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't using spr and cw be more like logging into the root user as opposed to actually giving your user(the one you use on your phone) su privileges... and also don't you need su privileges to choose your overclock speed?

Hey skullone can you explain to me how sapphire scales cpu speed "on demand" if it sets at boot?

also droid 1 with froyo needs only root(your user with root not the recovery) and setcpu(or likely any program of such) can overclock up to 800mhz source: SetCPU and Android 2.2 for DROID Allows for Simple Overclocking | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, I totally fell for the bait. Nice troll :)

13. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I wasn't trying to troll. But yes I do remember reading all the debates and laughing at them. Both sides in fact :)

14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    *technically*, su is the one logging into the root user. An app runs "su" (and obtains permission from Superuser.apk) and allows an executable to run as the root user. CW and SPR are actually circumventing the entire system - which is why some confused people say that they are not root access. The recovery image always has full admin privileges (but the stock recovery prevents you from installing incorrectly signed updates)

You need root privileges, yes. "su" is just one manner of logging into the root user. On boot, a number of things are already running as root. Some roms modify the bootup to include the setting for overclocking even though they are not including the su binary. So, as such, they do not allow root access, but they ARE utilizing the fact that the phone is/was rooted to provide a service.

The linux kernel does cpu frequency scaling at a very low level. You pick the thresholds and governor, and the kernel does the scaling automatically. You aren't telling the CPU to scale up or down, you are just selecting what rules to follow for when to automatically switch. On boot you tell the kernel to scale on demand, and the kernel will do that without anything further from the user.

I just saw that, too. I'm not sure I will believe that without seeing it myself. Stranger things HAVE happened, but that posting is implying that the STOCK kernel has frequency steps going up to 800Mhz BUILT IN. Why would motorola build a kernel to overclock their phone? When 2.2 leaks were coming out, they OFTEN had the kernel replaced, because the kernel was tagged so that the person who leaked the image could be tracked. Perhaps whoever reported this is actually running a non-stock kernel and doesn't realize it? Again, it could be possible, I just don't see why motorola would do that, and I didn't see any additional details to back it up.

15. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

SPR and CWM are not root. They are code that operates outside of the Android OS. I would liken it to a recovery disk that is the bare minimum code needed to write to the memory and disks properly.

OnDemand is a governor provided by the base Android OS code that was released by Google. Sapphire's only interaction with it is to set it on boot prior to the full OS going active for user input.

OnDemand by definition is a combination of: Check the Android OS' work load every X milliseconds to see if it is above X threshold and then step up the clock rate within the power save bias setting.

Side note: Technically, you can overclock without having Super User access (root) if the Android OS build is setup to overclock at startup.