Overclocking Droid X

Gunner67

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just rooted my Droid X and am loving it so far. I downloaded set CPU to overclock my phone but it doesn't seem that I can set the CPU clock speed to above 1Ghz, which is the top speed of the processor. Does anyone have any advice on either a different program or settings/profiles to set this up for the DX hardware.

Thanks!

cpjr

Reaction score
You can only use SetCPU after installing a custom kernel that will allow for overclocking.

And you cant install kernels to the DX because the bootloader is locked.

You will need an app called "Droid X Overclocker" from the market to do so.

PS- Do some homework before hacking around with your phone so you dont brick it.

OP
G

Gunner67

Reaction score
I can't install custom kernals? Is this the same as custom ROMS? As this was my next step....

thanks for you help

cpjr

Reaction score
ROMs and kernels are completely different.

I suggest doing alot more reading around this forum before screwing with all that.

OP
G

Gunner67

Reaction score
OK, Will Do. Any suggestions on where to start, also I can't find that program?

cpjr

Reaction score
It changed names. Search for "Droid Overclock"

PS- And there are plenty of threads in the Droid X forum here to learn up on, just look around.

DJxPanda

Reaction score
If you install a custom rom then you can oc. my suggestions are darkslide or liberty

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

cpjr

Reaction score
You dont have to have a custom ROM, that has nothing to do with it.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
If you install a custom rom then you can oc. my suggestions are darkslide or liberty

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
Yep...because the ROM doesnt change the kernel of the phone since the bootloader is locked...which means you can overclock the stock phone...you just need to have the proper app to do so..which is JRummys Droid Overclock....which CPJR suggested.

Misinformation, regardless if it has information in the title, does not do anyone any good, just causes more confusion....:)

OP
G

Gunner67

Reaction score
then the new question is why can't I overclock with SetCPU?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
then the new question is why can't I overclock with SetCPU?

It's not designed to work past what the kernel is set at, Jrummy's is. He really did an excellent job on that app..VERY smart guy!

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

OP
G

Gunner67

Reaction score
OK, great, that makes sense. Now if someone would be so kind as to give me some advice as to how far the Droid X processor can go:

Should I set it to ultra low, low, medium, high voltage?

What speed should I cap out at, What is the normal temp so I can monitor it and not blow out the hardware?

Thanks!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OK, great, that makes sense. Now if someone would be so kind as to give me some advice as to how far the Droid X processor can go:

Should I set it to ultra low, low, medium, high voltage?

What speed should I cap out at, What is the normal temp so I can monitor it and not blow out the hardware?

Thanks!

That's where research comes in. Each phone is different so, what works for me, may not work the same for you. Overclocking is something you really need to know what you're doing because you're tinkering with some dangerous stuff. Sit tight, I have a link for you :)

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

OP
G

Gunner67

Reaction score
Yeah, Thanks, I have the MOTO Droid X, so if anyone has this phone and is currently overclocking, let me know what the best speeds are and how that affects the battery life as well.

Thanks.

b00ty_m4n

Reaction score
You can only use SetCPU after installing a custom kernel that will allow for overclocking.

And you cant install kernels to the DX because the bootloader is locked.

You will need an app called "Droid X Overclocker" from the market to do so.

PS- Do some homework before hacking around with your phone so you dont brick it.

Good answer you may regret overclocking if not familiar with X's working habits! Justa saying!

Sent from my A854 using DroidForums