Overclocking Droid 4 ICS Instructions

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your right, I wasn't doing exactly as you said. I thought since script manager was being used to edit the file, that it should also run it, and I thought you just left that part out so I never even proceeded to the other steps. Sorry, it was getting very frustrating, edited my post. I got it working thanks to you. Also, do you know of any apps that can show CPU temp in the notification bar? I just wanna watch them for a week to see if they're too high. Though they really shouldn't change much. I'd say 2-4 Celsius, since Voltage didn't change.

Lol I have been looking for that too trying to see what temp I get a reboot at on 1440 MHz cuz after one day of constant usage it will reboot an I don't know what the temp is also u can't make the voltage go higher than 63 so battery shouldn't be affected much

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums

moccor

Reaction score
Lol I have been looking for that too trying to see what temp I get a reboot at on 1440 MHz cuz after one day of constant usage it will reboot an I don't know what the temp is also u can't make the voltage go higher than 63 so battery shouldn't be affected much

Well there are many CPU temp monitor widgets, but no notification bar temp apps lol. I'll make a post on rootzwiki asking about it, since they have a much larger amount of users.

moccor

Reaction score
Used this method to overclock a little more then 24 hours ago. I didn't see any substantial or even minor battery hits. Battery did feel a little warmer though. But it works and is a good guide. It's easy. Only thing that scared me a little was using option 7 in the Droid 4 utility, it said re-applying root and was restarting phone, I thought it was gonna screw up safestrap and brick my phone haha. I guess it's needed to go through that reboot process for the same reasons it does with gaining root. It might use some vulnerabilities to add the overclocking files.

Giroux28

Reaction score
I had some difficulty with the process due to the instructions being poorly written/punctuated, however I just finally got it to work and stick thank god... I am leaving the top speed at 1200mhz however I am using this to undervolt because it lowers the top two voltage levels effectively... so I thank you for your time and effort man, this was my last goal (for now) I would like to figure out if I could go any lower or even efffectively stabley underclock also but do not want to test it out and screw anything up.. Is there any table or anything to follow with the Vsel levels or anything????

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had some difficulty with the process due to the instructions being poorly written/punctuated, however I just finally got it to work and stick thank god... I am leaving the top speed at 1200mhz however I am using this to undervolt because it lowers the top two voltage levels effectively... so I thank you for your time and effort man, this was my last goal (for now) I would like to figure out if I could go any lower or even efffectively stabley underclock also but do not want to test it out and screw anything up.. Is there any table or anything to follow with the Vsel levels or anything????

No there isn't a table unfortunately but here are the stock vsel numbers 61 61 55 43 26

Giroux28

Reaction score
No there isn't a table unfortunately but here are the stock vsel numbers 61 61 55 43 26

Inaccurate dude, the top stock number was 73 or something in the 70s b4 I touched it, mine currently read 63,61,53,44,29 n im stable. I just now switched the bottom 2 to 43 and 26 since they were lower, i think im still stable. I just wish I knew HOWWWW low I could go, I really wanna undervolt this thing and make it last as long as possible on each unplug, its awesome and fast enough already.. also i wasnt tryna insult u with the punctuation and **** dude I really appreciate ur work and time.

moccor

Reaction score
Inaccurate dude, the top stock number was 73 or something in the 70s b4 I touched it, mine currently read 63,61,53,44,29 n im stable. I just now switched the bottom 2 to 43 and 26 since they were lower, i think im still stable. I just wish I knew HOWWWW low I could go, I really wanna undervolt this thing and make it last as long as possible on each unplug, its awesome and fast enough already.. also i wasnt tryna insult u with the punctuation and **** dude I really appreciate ur work and time.

63,61,53,44,29 are stock. What QuickClock show's under the 'High Speed' profile is not the same as what it shows under the default+none profiles. As for undervolting, idk much about it for the Droid 4. But I saw ways to make the RAZR go to 2Ghz and they are pretty much the same phone...

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score

Its is not inaccurate those vsel numbers are correct quickclock auto calculates ur vsel when u go in to over clock with the vsel editing enabled plus u are unable to set a vsel value higher than 63

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
63,61,53,44,29 are stock. What QuickClock show's under the 'High Speed' profile is not the same as what it shows under the default+none profiles. As for undervolting, idk much about it for the Droid 4. But I saw ways to make the RAZR go to 2Ghz and they are pretty much the same phone...

I do appologize but the vsel numbers 63 61 53 44 29 are not the stock values they are the auto calculated values by quickclock the new numbers I posted are the stock ones

Giroux28

Reaction score
I do appologize but the vsel numbers 63 61 53 44 29 are not the stock values they are the auto calculated values by quickclock the new numbers I posted are the stock ones

I have it set with 61 61 55 43 26 right now like you said, I had to CHANGE it in order to make it this way so I dont get how these would be the stock values or why it would be set differently anyway regardless... but it doesnt appear smooth set like this and i really want to undervolt why is noone else interested in making the thing last as long as possible?

Correction on one thing, its running nice right now... but still why would i have to change it from anything to stock??? Wouldn't it be the other way around, makes no sense... I had a D2 for 3 years, this isn't my first rodeo just so ya know haha.

Last edited:
OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have it set with 61 61 55 43 26 right now like you said, I had to CHANGE it in order to make it this way so I dont get how these would be the stock values or why it would be set differently anyway regardless... but it doesnt appear smooth set like this and i really want to undervolt why is noone else interested in making the thing last as long as possible?

Correction on one thing, its running nice right now... but still why would i have to change it from anything to stock??? Wouldn't it be the other way around, makes no sense... I had a D2 for 3 years, this isn't my first rodeo just so ya know haha.

U don't have to keep it at stock someone here asked for the stock Vsel values so I posted them but I accidental posted the auto calculated ones an not the stock ones an when under volt u need to drop the frequency to cuz if u don't u are starving ur cpu for power an it becomes unstable

B-Unit

Reaction score

It looks like there is a difference between 'stock' (what Moto ships with the kernal) and the default settings for the app (quickclock)

Stock voltages (from Moto)
1200Mhz : 61 (1.375V)
1000Mhz : 61 (1.374V)
800Mhz : 55 (1.313V)
600Mhz : 43 (1.200V)
300Mhz : 26 (1.025V)

My Current Custom settings
1400Mhz : 59 (1.360V)
1200Mhz : 47 (1.240V)
900Mhz : 45 (1.220V)
600Mhz(haven't tested undervolting)
300Mhz : 18 (0.950V)

As stated earlier, each device is different, so be sure to stress test settings on your device to ensure they are stable. I will try to draw up some instructions for installing the OC hack manually tonight.

Last edited:

marlonvps

Reaction score
thanks for sharing.I noticed Serious issues running at 1430. it was EXTREMELY laggy i dropped it to 1400 and it runs beautifully.

Giroux28

Reaction score
there is no point to running any faster than 1200... only point to unlocking all this stuff would be to undervolt n make battery last longer, will let everyone know if I figure something out..

moccor

Reaction score
there is no point to running any faster than 1200... only point to unlocking all this stuff would be to undervolt n make battery last longer, will let everyone know if I figure something out..

I thought so too. But there is a noticeably increase in speed. And since voltages stays the same, you get the same battery life+stability. So there's no reason to not do it.