Overclocking Droid 4 ICS Instructions

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by sargentmajord, Mar 20, 2012.

1. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

I have successfully overclocked my Droid 4 on hashcodes ICS rom to 1.430 GHz an running stable an here are the steps

Standard disclaimer I am not responsible for improper application of this method an mistakes made by human error please read carefully an understand the steps fully before proceeding.

You must also have hash codes ICS running an in safe strap to perform this OC. U can also use this method for a stock moto gingerbread rom but u will not be able to OC past 1388 MHz before the phone becomes unstable

Step 1 install an back up quickclock advanced on stock moto rom(u will be unable to download an install the app from the market with the custom rom)

Step 2 download the droid 4 utility an run the batch file

Step 3 select option 7 it will install script manager an the OC hack an once the process has finished (it will say exploiting with motofail just ignore it its not rerooting ur phone) continue to step 4

Step 4 locate an select the 1300 MHz file that the driod 4 utility option 7 moved to your sdcard-ext by using script manager that was installed by the droid 4 utility an select the boot an su option towards the top of the window an then edit the file itself an change the 130000000 value to 150000000 (allows the oc cap to be 1.5 GHz) then reboot

Step 5 restore the quickclock advance app that u backed up do not use the restore+data option just restore the app regularly then run the app

Step 6 go to calibrate-->adjustments and set max oc speed an max cpu speed to 1440

Step 7 go to advanced an tap full edit it should say "vsel edit enabled" if it says disabled tap again till it says enabled

Step 8 go to overclock select the profile section should say None an then will give u a list of profiles to choose select high performance an make sure the top vsel says 63 an the second from the top says 61 an then edit the cpu frequency fields to what u prefer (warning phone becomes unstable at 1435 but is not noticeable untill 1445 Do Not overclock to or past1500 or phone will become inoperable untill u reboot it) over clock will not survive reboot but profile will all u have to do is re apply the profile after every reboot(do not use the set at boot option it will cause the app to crash untill it is uninstalled an all the quickclock steps are redone

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

Here are some screen shots that shows it works

3. supershot666

supershot666 New Member

Thank you greatly appreciated!
  4. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

Hmmm no comments must be working fine
  5. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

Bump :p

6. supershot666

supershot666 New Member

Im running CM9 3/20 if I update to a new nightly do I have to do this whole process over again or should I just be able to re apply the profile like normal? Also if I flash to a new rom do I have to re do all the steps or just from 5 down?

I noticed Serious issues running at 1430. it was EXTREMELY laggy i dropped it to 1400 and it runs beautifully.
  7. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

Some devices can handle 1430 some can't all depends on the cpu its the same as a computer mine can be oveclocked to 1440 an run for about 10 hrs before I see any lag an yes any time u reflash a rom u have to do the process over cuz u have completely erased the hack I have to do the same thing so I stop doing nightly flashes only do it once a week cuz there are a lot of updates in a week plus I only have to do the hack once a week an not daily

8. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

9. moccor

moccor New Member

Is 63 and 61 the stock voltages for 1200Mhz and 1Ghz frequencies? Have you read anything on if these voltages are lowered or if it's even possible to lower them? Overclocking is kinda useless imo when at 1.2Ghz Dual Core, but as long as the voltages don't go above stock, it should give about the same battery life. Maybe even save you a little by processing things quicker and being able to turn off the display sooner haha. Will definitely give this a shot some time soon. Thanks for the guide.
  10. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

Both are stock the top vsel must be 63 an the second from top must be 61 or the overclock won't work the bottom 3 are stock an must not be edited or it won't scale properly

11. moccor

moccor New Member

Edit: Worked perfectly.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  12. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

Ur not reading it right u don't run the script u Must run option 7 there is no other way then find the 1300 MHz file (make sure quick clock is not installed) in ur sdcard-ex with script manager tap on it an select edit rename it to 1500 tap on the edit option in the window an u will see 130000000000 change the 3 into a 5 then save it by taping the menu button on the D4 an select save then tap on the option SU an boot then select save in the top right part of the window then reboot then install quick clock go to calibrate--> adjust an change max oc an max cpu to 1440 the go to advanced an tap on full edit till u see vsel enabled the go to overclock tap on high speed change the vsel (from top to bottom) 63 61 53 44 29 an then edit the speeds to where u want them ill post pics so u can see

13. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

These are the pics from the first step to the last after installing the the option 7 in the droid 4 utility

14. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

The droid 4 utillity installs the modules to allow overclocking the script by its self will not work the option 7 is required to do the overclocking

15. moccor

moccor New Member

Your right, I wasn't doing exactly as you said. I thought since script manager was being used to edit the file, that it should also run it, and I thought you just left that part out so I never even proceeded to the other steps. Sorry, it was getting very frustrating, edited my post. I got it working thanks to you. Also, do you know of any apps that can show CPU temp in the notification bar? I just wanna watch them for a week to see if they're too high. Though they really shouldn't change much. I'd say 2-4 Celsius, since Voltage didn't change.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  16. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

Lol I have been looking for that too trying to see what temp I get a reboot at on 1440 MHz cuz after one day of constant usage it will reboot an I don't know what the temp is also u can't make the voltage go higher than 63 so battery shouldn't be affected much

17. moccor

moccor New Member

Well there are many CPU temp monitor widgets, but no notification bar temp apps lol. I'll make a post on rootzwiki asking about it, since they have a much larger amount of users.
  18. moccor

moccor New Member

Used this method to overclock a little more then 24 hours ago. I didn't see any substantial or even minor battery hits. Battery did feel a little warmer though. But it works and is a good guide. It's easy. Only thing that scared me a little was using option 7 in the Droid 4 utility, it said re-applying root and was restarting phone, I thought it was gonna screw up safestrap and brick my phone haha. I guess it's needed to go through that reboot process for the same reasons it does with gaining root. It might use some vulnerabilities to add the overclocking files.
  19. Giroux28

Giroux28 New Member

I had some difficulty with the process due to the instructions being poorly written/punctuated, however I just finally got it to work and stick thank god... I am leaving the top speed at 1200mhz however I am using this to undervolt because it lowers the top two voltage levels effectively... so I thank you for your time and effort man, this was my last goal (for now) I would like to figure out if I could go any lower or even efffectively stabley underclock also but do not want to test it out and screw anything up.. Is there any table or anything to follow with the Vsel levels or anything????
  20. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

No there isn't a table unfortunately but here are the stock vsel numbers 61 61 55 43 26

Search tags for this page
droid 4 ics overclock

droid 4 overclock

droid 4 stock overclocking
droid4 overclock
how to overclock droid xt894
how to overclock motorola droid 4
motorola droid 4 xt894 overclock
overclcok droid 4 1400
overclock xt894

overclocking droid 4