Overclocking and Wifi tethering?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Isosceles Raion, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Isosceles Raion

Isosceles Raion New Member

I've rooted my phone so now it's currently running BBv.04; I rooted it for the sole purpose of using it as a wifi hotspot for my other devices, game systems, etc. I've already downloaded the app, the comp picks it up but tells me it can't connect.

I did some searching and read a post saying I need to overclock my droid/add a kernel to do that, but I can't find any instructions to properly add a kernel that allows me to make my droid a wifi hotspot. I'm really confused on this part, but if someone could help me I would be able to pick it up adequately.
  2. barcodelinux

barcodelinux New Member

First thing...I think that you might be confused as to what a wifi hotspot and wireless tethering are.

A Wifi Hotspot send out a "infrastructure" signal that allows most wireless enabled devices, including iPods, Wii's, and xBox's, to connect.

However, Wireless Tethering sends out a "Ad-Hoc" signal which devices like iPods, Wii's, and xBox's can't see (without a little hacking/tweaking of course).

According to Verizon and Motorola, the Droid is incapable of acting as a Wifi Hotspot. But we in this forum know that it is capable of wireless tethering.

(confused) Ummm...you do not have to overclock your droid to enable wireless tethering. Most people who build kernels for the Droid community just happen to build those two features together. But you do have to have a kernel that has the twain (wireless) drivers built either statically or as modules to have wireless tethering. P3Droid has kernels that will overclock AND provide the twain drivers needed for wireless tethering.

AFAIK, your stock BB v.04 kernel *should* provide a twain enabled kernel. Your other devices may just not be able to see the Ad-Hoc network signal.
  3. Isosceles Raion

So the Droid isn't capable of being a wifi hotspot even while rooted?
  4. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

good answer.
  5. barcodelinux

barcodelinux New Member

That is correct.
  6. combat_chuck

combat_chuck New Member

Actually, they're not correct. It can be a hotspot. Since I've had my droid, I've gone on vacation with my family a few times and everytime I've used my droid as a hotspot. I just turn on the wifi tether app and I've had 3 iPod touches and 3 or 4 laptops connected and on the internet at the same time. It's really amazing how well it works and it's just a marketing scheme when Verizon says the droid 1 can't do it (they want one more reason for customers to buy newer phones).

I am currently using my droid to access this site while someone next to me is on an iPod touch. It's not even slow.
  7. Isosceles Raion

Now how exactly are you doing that? Are you rooted or anything of the sort? My laptop can see it, but cannot connect.
  8. barcodelinux

barcodelinux New Member

A wifi hotspot? No it can't. But now I guess your going to tell me that you have done it and the people who have made the device are wrong.
    Let me stop you right there because I don't think you realize what you just said. You contradicted yourself. You just said that you used a "wifi tether app". By definition, that is NOT A WIFI HOTSPOT! Where am I loosing you with this??? But go on...
    Because your not acting as a wifi hotspot. Look at my post above that explains the difference between a wireless tether and a wifi hotspot.
  9. *22899

*22899 Premium Member Premium Member

-----PLEASE DON'T TETHER FOR GAMING-----
    It's going to get everyone busted. Every time one of these threads is posted they always say something about gaming.
  10. dmbfan36_23

dmbfan36_23 New Member

Getting back on topic here, I have a Droid 1 rooted w/stock FRG01B. I've tried both "Wireless Tether" and "Barnacle WiFi Tether". In both cases I can get my iPod Touch (2nd gen) to connect to it, but I've had a lot of troubles with my Lenovo T510 (Win 7 x64) with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN wireless chipset.

After digging around a bit, I found this bug filed against Wireless Tether about problems with Intel cards & tethering:
    Issue 244 - android-wifi-tether - Windows 7 wont connect - Project Hosting on Google Code
  11. dylanthecat

dylanthecat New Member

You guys are arguing over loose definitions. I am running wireless tether on my droid as I type. I am typing on my laptop, and my wife is doing something online with her Ipod touch. Both connected up automatically just as they would with any hotspot. They are both running in ad-hoc mode of course. Camping and wifi access. Does not get any better, except it is too fricken hot for end of August.
  12. xmguy

xmguy New Member

I agree. I always say don't do on a tethered device what you can't do on your phone. Meaning. Use it to access e-mail, maybe watch a YouTube video or such. NO P2P! If you won't/can't do it on your phone DON'T do it on a phone/PC tethered.
  13. combat_chuck

combat_chuck New Member

Look, I'm not the most tech savy person on these forums, but I know a thing or two. One thing I do know is that I've used my phone's (droid 1) 3G connection to access the internet on multiple laptops, itouches, and iphones (the iphone had no service at the time) at the same time. I don't care if you believe me or if Motorola says it's impossible or what the name of the app is. All I care about is that my phone can do it and that's awesome.

Now, why can't we use it to play games? That's the first time I've ever heard that you can't. The most awesome thing I've done with my phone has to be the time I was driving to chico with my friends and used my phone to tether to a new xbox(has wireless built in) and we played halo 3 over xbox live in the car! Too bad if I can't do that again...
  14. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

my guess is that you were connecting to an "ad hoc" network (computer to computer) and not a wifi hotspot/infrastructure connection (computer to network). The big difference being that ad hoc networks are blocked by many companies, and windows doesnt like to play nice with them. You dont have these issues with the infrastructure connection.

With ad hoc you can still connect to the internet with other devices, which is probably what you have been doing.

As for the "dont use this for gaming" bit... there are 2 sides to this. What impacts you directly, and what impacts everyone directly. For you, if you use too much data in a short period of time (like games tend to) your phone company can throttle your data useage down to a crawl and you will see speeds that may make dialup look fast. For everyone, they may start looking into ways to remove the ability all together. So not only are you risking shooting yourself in the foot, but you may end up feeding the fire that consumes us all.
  15. barcodelinux

barcodelinux New Member

Good point.
Search tags for this page

andriod wifi overclocking

casio gz one overclock

does underclock affect wifi tether

droidadda

how to increase android tether speed with over clocking

how to overclock wifi in a phone

how to speed up wifi tether

overclocking speed teathering