Overclocking and voltage

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by joshtb86, Jan 2, 2011.

1. joshtb86

joshtb86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a couple of? S. What happens if you undervolt the cpu ata certain frequency? For example, I decreased the voltage by 2 volts each for the stock frequencies. What happens if that's too low? What will happen to the phone?
    Likewise, what if you overvolt it at a certain frequency? How does the voltage also affect batt life if its undervolted?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

2. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Pretty sure it'll just reboot over and over.

3. joshtb86

joshtb86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i dont have it set to boot and i also have been running it with 2 volts under stock and so far have had no problems

4. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
  5. joshtb86

joshtb86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately it doesnt really address the underpowering issue directly. is that what would happen if you dont give it enough power?

6. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    It is addressed in the first few posts but not as a direct answer. You would have to infer it. Maybe it is time to replace Post #4 with a top 20 questions reply.

To directly answer your question, you have to look at what the voltage does to most critical part of the CPU, the transistor.

For a transistor to pass power (IE make a 1) it must have enough power on two of the legs to cause the forward bias to become high enough to pass the electrons thru the gate. At lower speeds, the electrons will spend more time at the gate which means voltage isn't as important and can be lower. But as you crank up the speed, the electrons spend less and less time at the gate. To over come this lower time frame, we raise the voltage. Eventually, you will hit a point where no amount of voltage will solve the issue. The electrons are simply moving to fast for the transistor to handle.

So what are the signs of the voltage being too low?

1) Lower battery life.
    2) Unexplained application force closes.
    3) Overheating CPU.

What order they show up in is 100% up to the chip set in your phone. No one can predict how each phone will react to having a lower voltage applied.

A very good example of this is my first Droid vs my current refurb. My first Droid could operate for 24 hours with a low voltage 125Mhz to 100Mhz kernel. My refurb can barely go 9 hours with that same kernel. I am currently testing a low voltage 250Mhz to 1000Mhz kernel and it looks like I should be back to 24 hours between charges possibly even longer. Go figure. But that is the nature of the beast when dealing with electronic devices.

7. joshtb86

joshtb86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    okay great. that makes it much more clear what to look for. thanks a lot!

Search tags for this page
1000mhz volts android

android overclock cpu voltage

android overclocking cpu and voltage
android overvolt
android overvolting
over clocked android cpu what voltage

overvolt android

overvolting android

overvolting cpu android
what overvolt android